Words that you are sure exist, but can't find

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Promac

Re: Words that you are sure exist, but can't find

Postby Promac » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:59 pm UTC

I know the fire part is missing but how do you feel about catharsis.

bane2571

Postby bane2571 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:14 am UTC

cool thread, I've been trying to figure out a word for a while my self now, it means beautiful in its simplicity. Essentially the Antonym of Gaudy.

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:24 am UTC

I don't know what anyone could possibly mean by "pure cleansing fire". Arsonist? Pyromaniac? Since when can fire be pure or impure? It doesn't cleanse, it turns everything black. So how can we find a word for it if it's nonsense.

If we're being metaphorical then catharsis sounds fine, except that I wouldn't think of catharsis as a force in itself.

bane2571 wrote:cool thread, I've been trying to figure out a word for a while my self now, it means beautiful in its simplicity. Essentially the Antonym of Gaudy.

Sexy! minimaltastic I don't think we need a word for that, but I imagine advertisers would love it.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:30 am UTC

bane2571 wrote:cool thread, I've been trying to figure out a word for a while my self now, it means beautiful in its simplicity. Essentially the Antonym of Gaudy.

How about elegant? Although it may not have the connotation of simplicity in everyday usage, it is used with that sense in mathematics, science & engineering.

bane2571

Postby bane2571 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:58 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:How about elegant?

It's the best one I could think up, though I think common usage has caused elegant to refer more to graceful then anything. The science/maths association is pretty strong and that hadn't occured to me.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:30 am UTC

RabbitWho wrote:I don't know what anyone could possibly mean by "pure cleansing fire". Arsonist? Pyromaniac? Since when can fire be pure or impure? It doesn't cleanse, it turns everything black. So how can we find a word for it if it's nonsense.
Given that Google has 209000 results for the phrase "cleansing fire", and given the whole idea of Purgatory, it seems there are plenty of people who would indeed make use of a word for this.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

prometheus89

Postby prometheus89 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:00 am UTC

RabbitWho wrote:

I don't think we need a word for that

Not needing a word for that would be very ungood, in my opinion.

bane2571

Postby bane2571 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:59 am UTC

prometheus89 wrote:Not needing a word for that would be very ungood, in my opinion.

It's a common device in Sci-fi to say aliens are so truthful tha tthey don't even have word for "Lie". It's always interesting to find comncepts that can't be easily expressed in one's own language.

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:22 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
RabbitWho wrote:I don't know what anyone could possibly mean by "pure cleansing fire". Arsonist? Pyromaniac? Since when can fire be pure or impure? It doesn't cleanse, it turns everything black. So how can we find a word for it if it's nonsense.
Given that Google has 209000 results for the phrase "cleansing fire", and given the whole idea of Purgatory, it seems there are plenty of people who would indeed make use of a word for this.

Puppies are good.

Let's see you disagree with that.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:12 am UTC

Stop saying wrong things that don't make any sense, and I'll stop disagreeing with you. Deal?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:40 am UTC

No deal!

gmalivuk wrote:

The word obviously isn't needed if it doesn't exist. If there was a need for it it would exist, that's how language works. Otherwise we'd have a word for the ability of strangers to stand awkwardly in front of the thing you want to buy in the Supermakret.

Argency

Postby Argency » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:16 am UTC

Rabbit, the fire is pure because it purifies. It burns away disease and pollution. That's why it can be used in a spiritual sense, but also in a mundane sense. A fire which burns the impurities out of metal ore could be described by this word, but so could some versions of purgatory. So it's not nonsense.

Moreover, don't be so invective. English has a profusion of adventitious and periphrastic words. (see?) If we restricted ourselves to words we absolutely needed then we'd have a very bland language. What's your favorite word? I bet there's a 50% chance that you could cut it out of the language and just use a few simpler words to get the same meaning across. I mean, "argent". Noone ever says that anymore, but its my favorite. People could use it all the time if they wanted to, but they don't, because it's gone out of fashion. I bet all the words this thread has mentioned are awesome just because they're niche words that are mostly redundant.

TL;DR - you are a negative nancy. Come join the party!
Gonna be a blank slate, gonna wear a white cape.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:13 am UTC

Argent - Hold Your Head Up
Spoiler:
And if it's bad
Don't let it get you down, you can take it
And if it hurts
Don't let them see you cry, you can take it

Hold your head up, hold your head up
Hold your head up, hold your head high

And if they stare
Just let them burn their eyes on you moving
And if they shout
Don't let them change a thing what you're doing

Hold your head up, hold your head up
Hold your head up, hold your head high

Written by Rod Argent & Chris White

:)

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:One time my year-ten English teacher told the class 'scape-goat' meant someone who got away with everything. I timidly raised my hand and said 'doesn't it mean the opposite?' 'no' 'I thought it meant..' 'shut up, Justin!'

Then she looked it up and well, me: 1, teacher: 0. She got me back, though. Wasn't pretty. Moral: the teacher is always correct, even when she's a flipping flip.

My 8th grade "english" teacher thought wherefore meant where. "Wherefore art thou, Romeo?" She told us that Juliet was calling out to Romeo, asking where he was.

Bobber wrote:Tempo-RAH-ble.)

What is that H doing there? Don't you mean tempo-RAY-ble?
And I'm -2.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:42 am UTC

All right, I have this unshakable feeling that there are in fact at least two distinct words that share the meaning I want. But for the life of me I can’t think of any. Here’s the definition in my mind:

v. tr.
1. to walk gingerly upon (one or more feet or legs) so as not to further aggravate a recent painful injury thereto.
wee free kings

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:58 am UTC

Limp?
Dictionary.com wrote:intr.v. limped , limp·ing , limps
1.To walk lamely, especially with irregularity, as if favoring one leg.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Chopperman

Postby Chopperman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:26 am UTC

Qaanol wrote:v. tr.
1. to walk gingerly upon (one or more feet or legs) so as not to further aggravate a recent painful injury thereto.

I like the word "dodder" for this. It seems to imply less stability in walking than "limp" does, but perhaps a less painful injury or a safer environment in which to walk.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:32 pm UTC

Thanks, those are good ideas, but I really want a transitive verb, so it is phrased as doing something to your leg. He <???>ed his foot every time he walked for a whole week after the rock fell on it. Moreover, the driving impetus behind treating ones limb this way is that it undergoes sharp sudden pain if not babied (no, “to baby” is not what I want, as it is too general and has other meanings). There is not likely to be a permanent injury, but it hurts. One could choose to walk normally, but that would cause a lot of pain and probably make the healing process take longer. I suppose “wince” is similar to what I want, albeit intransitive.
wee free kings

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:43 pm UTC

You can favor an injured foot.
---

(he/him/his)

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:15 pm UTC

Mmm, "favour" was my first response too. Though, I personally find the every time he walked to be a little... redundant? Is that the word I want?

He favoured his foot for a whole week after the rock fell on it, reads a little more smoothly to me. You could expand from there, on how bad the injury was with something like: wincing every time he so much as bumped a pebble or loose stick lying on the ground.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:59 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:You can favor an injured foot.

I thought you favored the uninjured foot.
And I'm -2.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:16 am UTC

Nope. From the OED: "To deal gently with; to avoid overtasking (a limb); to ease, save, spare."
---

(he/him/his)

elasto

Postby elasto » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:58 am UTC

Sounds likes one of those homographic homophones. Sort of.

I mean, if you said 'When John had to choose between eating the burger or the fries first, he always favoured the latter' you'd mean he's eating the fries, right? So he's definitely not 'easing, saving, sparing' the fries - he's doing the exact opposite.

Likewise if I said 'which hand do you favour?', and you're right-handed, you'd say your right. But you aren't 'dealing gently with; avoiding overtasking; easing, saving or sparing' your right hand from writing, say, you're doing the exact opposite: You're putting all work wherever possible onto your right hand!

To favour a foot in the sense of sparing it is more in line with 'performing a favour for the foot'. I can see the meaning but I personally wouldn't have thought of it in that sense. I guess I'm wrong.

I guess it's because there's an implied verb in the examples I gave: 'Which hand do you favour [using]?' or 'John favours [eating] the fries.' It's only when there's no implied verb that the sentence takes on the opposite meaning.

How would you interpret the sentence 'If both children had broken the rules, when it came to handing out the punishment, Alice always favoured her daughter'? It's sort of ambiguous, isn't it. It could mean:
'If both children had broken the rules, when it came to handing out the punishment, Alice always favoured [punishing] her daughter'
or
'If both children had broken the rules, when it came to handing out the punishment, Alice always favoured [ie gave special treatment to] her daughter'

English r hard...

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:48 am UTC

I interpreted it more in a "give preferential treatment to" sense.

elasto wrote:'When John had to choose between eating the burger or the fries first, he always favoured the latter' you'd mean he's eating the fries, right?
So he's giving preferential treatment "to" the fries (be that preferring to eat them first or last).
elasto wrote:Likewise if I said 'which hand do you favour?', and you're right-handed, you'd say your right.
IIRC, you tend to use your preferred hand for fine actions, so that kinda works in my "preferential treatment" sense, I think.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:44 am UTC

elasto wrote:When it came to handing out the punishment, Alice always favored her daughter.

This is unambiguous to me. In my flavor of English it will always mean the daughter was not punished with sufficient severity. Favoring children is implicitly understood to be to their benefit. Making explicit statements to the contrary would work, but might be a bit weird.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:You can favor an injured foot.

Thanks! That is definitely one of the words.

I still feel like there is a second word with the same meaning, which does not have the ambiguity of ‘favor’. Can’t think of it for the life of me though.
wee free kings

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:12 am UTC

Velifer wrote:
elasto wrote:When it came to handing out the punishment, Alice always favored her daughter.

This is unambiguous to me. In my flavor of English it will always mean the daughter was not punished with sufficient severity. Favoring children is implicitly understood to be to their benefit. Making explicit statements to the contrary would work, but might be a bit weird.
Interesting, isn't it. It was unambiguous to me too until this thread. I always would have read it as 'favoured' in the sense of choosing. Just like favouring the fries would mean choosing the fries [for eating], so favouring her daughter would mean choosing her daughter [for punishing].

It's only since reading this thread and thinking about it it's become ambiguous! In a way it's becoming like the 'vase/faces' illusion to me - flipping the meaning of the sentence as I look...

khanh93

Postby khanh93 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

InkL0sed wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:Is there a word for dying of thirst that could be used to complete the sentence "Without water we will all..?"

Dehydrate?

What about desiccate?

yndayngo

Postby yndayngo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:48 pm UTC

gibberishtwist wrote:Also, does anyone know the term for when a brand name replaces the name of the actual product? Like saying, "I need some Tylenol" instead of "I need aspirin," or saying Band-Aid instead of...well, anything else. I'm not sure if there's an actual term for this, but I remember a teacher telling me about it in middle school and it's been bothering me for at least 10 years now.

Bandage?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:59 pm UTC

No, the question was not "What's the generic name for a Band-Aid?", the question was "What's the word for the process by which 'Band-Aid' came to replace 'bandage' as a generic term?"
---

(he/him/his)

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:28 am UTC

Oh oh oh!
A proprietary eponym!

That's the noun though, not the verb. Dunno if there is a verb.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:58 am UTC

Wikipedia suggests genericized trademark.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:13 am UTC

The obvious solution here is to come up with a new word for that process. And trademark it.
wee free kings

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

It's probably just
"To become a proprietary eponym" ©
We say "to become eponymous".
Rather than "to eponymize"©

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:29 am UTC

What's wrong with "genericize"?
---

(he/him/his)

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:17 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:What's wrong with "genericize"?

The fact that it doesn't necessarily mean the same thing? Maybe the person who was looking for it originally will be happy with that though.

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:06 am UTC

There's a question on me:

Is there an adjective to describe a story that is present in all the related religions of Judaism, Christianity, Islam etc. etc.

Like say God being all like.. Hey Abraham! Get your arse in gear and kill your son! And Abraham being all like! "No problem!" And God being all like "Ha ha! Fooled you! You don't have to do that, I was just caressing your dingelberries" And Abraham being all like "Phew!"
That story.

Aiwendil42

Postby Aiwendil42 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:26 am UTC

I've seen 'Abrahamic' and 'Judeo-Christo-Islamic' (or other permutations of the three names).

Mazuku

Postby Mazuku » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:11 am UTC

I remember coming across an obsure word which translates as "Your neighbour's house is on fire" but for the life of me, I cannot recall what that word was.

Word for today
Epicaricacy {ip-p-carri-r-c}: Deriving joy from the misfortunes of others.
Allmächtige Exzentrikerin3

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:27 am UTC

Is there a word (verb) that means slander or belittle but begins with the letters im?
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

Return to “Language/Linguistics”