Other Languages You've Studied

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

How many non-English languages have you studied?

none
0%
16%
27%
25%
13%
5-6
13%
7-9
7%

Total votes: 500

simen

Re: Other Languages You've Studied

Postby simen » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:53 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:French, Spanish, German and Japanese. Oh, I forgot Swedish. THE POLL IS NOT ACCURATE!

Well, then you're in luck. I just changed the poll so that vote-changing is possible, since I figure over the course of its lifetime, people may pick up more languages or remember one they'd forgotten or whatever.

General Error
SQL ERROR [ postgres ]

ERROR: new row for relation "phpbb_poll_options" violates check constraint "phpbb_poll_options_poll_option_total_check" []

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:33 pm UTC

simen wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:French, Spanish, German and Japanese. Oh, I forgot Swedish. THE POLL IS NOT ACCURATE!

Well, then you're in luck. I just changed the poll so that vote-changing is possible, since I figure over the course of its lifetime, people may pick up more languages or remember one they'd forgotten or whatever.

General Error
SQL ERROR

Well I'm not sure what problem you're having, but the poll works fine for me and a non-mod account I just checked with.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:26 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
simen wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:

General Error
SQL ERROR

Well I'm not sure what problem you're having, but the poll works fine for me and a non-mod account I just checked with.

I'm getting the same error, firefox on both OS X and Linux.

Engma

Postby Engma » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

I've studied German, Sign Language, Mandarin, and Sanskrit.

German I'm pretty fluent in now...so I can order food, beer, find the restroom, and discuss German literature in it. I still don't understand what politicians or engineers say, but I never understood them in English...so...whatever.

For Sign Language, I know just enough to get myself into trouble and make some basic understanding happen. I haven't practiced with a native speaker for years, so I'm quite rusty. But, I know the basics well enough to be able to use a dictionary and get back into the swing of things.

Chinese I royally suck at. Seriously. I always thought I was pronouncing things right, but my teacher kept yelling at me that my tones were horrible. I tried so hard and sucked so much. So yeah...Chinese and I ignore each other.

I personally love Sanskrit. I'm mostly better at reading it than coming up with novel phrases, however. Though, there are a few phrases that I know and love:

Pitsaha bojaniiyaha (pizza deserves to be eaten)

Alum anena vacchanena (shut up)

Tvam kasya cha senaa? (You and whose army?)
M: So I'm living in a movie right now

L: really? Too much LSD in your cheerios?

Systemic

Postby Systemic » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:37 am UTC

I studied German for seven years at my elementary school, then had to take Latin in my junior high years at my high school. Then, after three years of that, I went back into German. I wouldn't say that I'm fluent in German, but I can pronounce the words reasonably well. I probably could have taken more Latin, but I thought that studying a modern language would be more useful, no matter what the Latin teachers said.

wenna226

Postby wenna226 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:52 pm UTC

English - 22 years (Which I didn't include on the poll, but I still studied it.)
Espanol - 11 anos (On and off... And I can't speak it very well, but I can read it like a champ.)
Francais - un ans

I just moved to Belgium so I am constantly surrounded by the French language and I am in a French course right now. All of my co-workers are AT LEAST bi-langual if not more. It makes me feel like the stupid American that (typically) only knows one language (which I suck at, btw). My english is probably the worst of the three languages that I do know, and it is the only one I am fluent in.

Hokkaido Hillbilly

Postby Hokkaido Hillbilly » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:08 am UTC

I've lived in Hokkaido for the last 7 some odd years & my wife is a) Japanese & b) a former Japanese teacher, so my Japanese is defo decent enough to get myself into & outta trouble (or weasel my way into a soapland :D

An old girlfriend was Korean & I lived in Seoul for about 2 months, so I can read Korean, but for the most part have no idea what it means.

What else...spent a month in Thailand, so can at least say "Hello" & "No, I don't want whatever the fuck it is you're selling"...2 years o' French in high school...grew up in Colorado, so know a smattering of Spanish & can at least say "Beer please" in a Catalunian accent. :mrgreen: Guess that's about it.

VerityExMachina

Postby VerityExMachina » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:17 am UTC

Let's see...

Spoke German until I was 7, then moved the the USA and forgot it all
3 weeks of intensive Ancient Greek (at this summer program)
2 years of latin
half a year of Spanish
2 years of French
and I just started learning Mandarin a few months ago.

Cecilie

Postby Cecilie » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:58 pm UTC

I'm a native Danish speaker.
German for three years, though I've never been very good at it. I've forgotten most of it now and it hasn't even been a year and a half since my German exam.
Latin for a couple of months last year, I've forgotten most of that as well.
And then Spanish for a year by now, which will eventually be 3 years in total.

someguy

Postby someguy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:13 pm UTC

Cecilie wrote:I'm a native Danish speaker.
German for three years, though I've never been very good at it. I've forgotten most of it now and it hasn't even been a year and a half since my German exam.

Y por lo visto también inglés ;).
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:58 pm UTC

someguy wrote:
Cecilie wrote:I'm a native Danish speaker.

Y por lo visto también inglés ;).

Yeah, but the original poll question is how many non-English languages you've studied (including your native language, if it isn't English). Because, obviously, anyone actively participating in these fora knows at least English.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

someguy

Postby someguy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:13 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Yeah, but the original poll question is how many non-English languages you've studied (including your native language, if it isn't English). Because, obviously, anyone actively participating in these fora knows at least English.

Oh. Then I got my original post all wrong, wherever it is.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:22 am UTC

someguy wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Yeah, but the original poll question is how many non-English languages you've studied (including your native language, if it isn't English). Because, obviously, anyone actively participating in these fora knows at least English.

Oh. Then I got my original post all wrong, wherever it is.

You can change your vote in the poll.
---

(he/him/his)

noparenthesis

Postby noparenthesis » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:49 am UTC

I studied Spanish in middle school, but it didn't stick.
I took three years of German in high school. I thought I had lost it all from disuse, but I was in Germany briefly this year and managed to make myself understood. That, and I understood about half of an episode of Sponge Bob.
I took French I & II in high school, as well, and I can read it okay still and compose sentences if I have a dictionary handy. My pronunciation and listening comprehension are shit, though.
I studied Japanese on my own for a while, and I can still read kana and have a rudimentary grasp of the grammar. My vocabulary is tiny and useless, though.
I've already forgotten all the Arabic I picked up, and I only studied it for like a week. I can say "No, thank you" and I could pick out important words from a conversation when I was in Iraq. That's it. Basically I'm monolingual. If I buckled down and put all that effort into just one language, I'd probably be fluent in it by now.
"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal."
--Jane Austen

the_inq

Postby the_inq » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:49 pm UTC

So...my mother tongue is modern (duh :P) Greek. On top of that, except the world' s abused lingua franca, I did French from 1993-1998 (et oui je suis encore capable de l'utiliser), german from 2002-2005 (und damit geht's weiter) and the world's most strategic language , Swedish (till och med svenskarna tror att jag är galen :P). I also thought I was some kind of language freak...until I logged into this thread :roll: . People....I bow before your magnitude!
" Nein, ich wollte kein Vereinfacher sein, und so verkomplizierte ich die einfachsten Dinge."

Becher, Prosa 156

Supergrunch

Postby Supergrunch » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

Hmm, what've I studied... French for the longest (8 years) then a couple of years of Spanish and Latin. I've also done a year of German but learnt very little. Then I've studied hangul a bit, so I suppose that counts as Korean, and I'm having a go at ancient Greek at the moment. And of course there's Japanese, which I only do in my free time, but have spent a ridiculous amount of time into it, so it's almost definitely my best language. (excluding English, of course) I also had a look at Arabic but got scared very quickly, so I don't think that counts.

...So I suppose that makes 7, but only just.

Ghorthas

Postby Ghorthas » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:26 pm UTC

I've casually studied German, and French. I'm attempting to focus on German at the moment. I want to study abroad in Germany. My Elementary/Middle school starting teaching Spanish in kindergarten, and I took all the college classes available at my high school. So give or take a year or two I've studied Spanish for about 13 years, if you count Kindergarten. ;-)

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:35 pm UTC

I know very basic German. Basic as in I can't say or remember more than "Hi. My name is Vanguard. What's your favorite weather?"

Took 2 years of German but forgot 1.5 of it.

AKADriver

Postby AKADriver » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:04 pm UTC

I've studied French and Japanese in terms of classes and homework and speaking tests and the whole bit. I don't have the confidence to speak much of either, but when pressed to use them, I can usually piece things together with little difficulty. Unfortunately my Japanese education didn't go far enough to learn much kanji, so my reading is limited to a few of the most common. There was a long period after I stopped studying either and before I had any interest in using them where I lost a lot.

I'm currently self-teaching Korean to open some of the lines of communication with my wife's extended family. Commonality with Japanese grammar and the world's most kick-ass writing system are helping quite a bit.

aegis

Postby aegis » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:52 pm UTC

I've studied English (since god knows when), French for three years, Spanish for one year and Finnish just for fun in my spare time.

However, I am really interested in all sorts of languages and I can say some phrases or just a few words to most people I stumble upon in their native language.

I am currently collecting a list of "Who the hell threw blueberries?" translated to as many languages as possible, I've got 22 and counting... Anyone care to contribute? The list of current languages are:

latin
    swedish
    english
    finnish
    romanian
    german
    norweigan
    danish
    dutch
    french
    polish
    czech
    italian
    icelandic
    portuguese
    hungarian
    estonian
    spanish
    serbian
    luxemburgish
    chinese
    thai

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:19 pm UTC

piglatin XD

oohey (shwa)they ellhey ewthrey ubley erriesbey

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:06 pm UTC

aegis wrote:I've studied English (since god knows when), French for three years, Spanish for one year and Finnish just for fun in my spare time.

However, I am really interested in all sorts of languages and I can say some phrases or just a few words to most people I stumble upon in their native language.

I am currently collecting a list of "Who the hell threw blueberries?" translated to as many languages as possible, I've got 22 and counting... Anyone care to contribute? The list of current languages are:

latin
    swedish
    english
    finnish
    romanian
    german
    norweigan
    danish
    dutch
    french
    polish
    czech
    italian
    icelandic
    portuguese
    hungarian
    estonian
    spanish
    serbian
    luxemburgish
    chinese
    thai

Step 1: Post in the intro thread.

Step 2: Post that list.

Not necessarily in that order.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:48 am UTC

I was forced to take French in grade school (Canada <_<), did pretty lousy but learned a few things. I'm studying Japanese now.
And C and Visual Basic and*shot*
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

aegis wrote:I am currently collecting a list of "Who the hell threw blueberries?" translated to as many languages as possible, I've got 22 and counting... Anyone care to contribute? The list of current languages are:

Japanese:
いったい誰がブルーベリーを投げたか?
[ittai dare ga blueberry o nageta ka?]
(Assuming the throwing was intentional.)

You should be able to get Esperanto pretty easily, by the way. KF
~Kizyr

Flint Paper

Postby Flint Paper » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:19 pm UTC

I've started learning a spot of Russian recently - though I'm only up to the alphabet and very basic grammar.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland,
But it's all the same to me!

Peripatetic

Postby Peripatetic » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:02 am UTC

I've studied Spanish for several years in high school and college and yet I still have little fluency outside the present tense.

In 2004, I spent four months studying abroad (and a broad) in Hungary. Here's everything you need to know:

bor - wine
sür - beer
vécé - bathroom
köszönöm - thank you

Bocanot, nem ertem. Csak kicsit beselek magyarul. - I'm sorry, I don't understand. I only speak a little Hungarian.

If you really want to insult someone, tell them, "kurva anyád" and start running.

Meowsma

Postby Meowsma » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:01 pm UTC

I've studied Spanish since middle school and I've become pretty proficient in reading and writing it, though nowhere near fluent.

Nyt opiskelen: Suomi

For the future: Portuguese, Czech, Gaelic

Gave up on: Japanese (I really didn't like the grammar)

--Meowsma

Aergonaut

Postby Aergonaut » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:04 am UTC

Three years of French in high school. I was good enough at it that I was able to easily conduct conversations in cafes, stores, etc. when I was in Paris.

Currently taking Mandarin classes now. I've only got one quarter down at present, but I'm planning on taking the full two-year series.
Was he afraid, or tranquil?
Might he know
How conscious consciousness could grow,
Till love that was, and love too blest to be,
Meet—and the junction be Eternity?
-- Emily Dickinson

Zoris

Postby Zoris » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:32 am UTC

I can only say I've studied three (not much for an amateur linguist); I've taken three years of Spanish, one half year of Mandarin, and I studied online for about one half year Lithuanian.

I can't say anything useful in Mandarin or Lithuanian, besides simple things like Nėkalbu lietuvių kalbą and Ni3 Duo1 Da4, but even these I'm not sure of.

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:55 am UTC

I learned French, Esperanto and am attempting to learn Turkish at the moment.
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

Arcanior

Postby Arcanior » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:38 pm UTC

Well, I'm a Belgian, so that requires me to quite fluently speak Dutch and French... Especially Dutch. I'm also quite fluent in English, but that should be pretty obvious in days where English is the most important language throughout the world. As for the rest, I can speak a handful of German and Swedish, and understand Latin and (ancient) Greek.

Yeah, I like linguistics.
Requies in labore, in miseria curisque solacium. (Rest in work, and consolation in sorrow and worries)
- Pliny the Younger

hnooch

Postby hnooch » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:46 pm UTC

I selected the option "4" although one of those, Hebrew, is a native language that I've never formally studied. However I grew up in America and so I stopped really using Hebrew at a very young age, so now I can't speak it quite as well as I understand it, which is not too well.

I've studied Spanish, German, and Hungarian. Peripateto: beer is "sör," and I think you want to say "Bocsánat, nem értem. Csak egy kicsit beszélek magyarul."

Philomid
Location: Out proving Einstein's theory of relativity wrong. Be back in seven years. I think...

How many, and which, Langauges do you speak?

Postby Philomid » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:07 am UTC

I speak English, German, Japanese (I'm still learning), Russian, French, Spanish, and Hebrew (to an extent). My favorite is by far Russian. For some reason, it intimidates people when speak Russian.

Also, my compy doesn't like Japanese characters, can anyone give me a detailed way for me to fix this? I've tried googling it, but to no avail. I fail. :oops:
Last edited by Philomid on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:51 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Spoiler:
SecondTalon wrote:"Dude... We've dreamed of shit like this, plans to escape, what we'd do if it were to happen.. and it did. Don't you get it? We're fucking nerds."

Dwalin

Re: How many, and which, Langauges do you speak?

Postby Dwalin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:14 am UTC

For me just English and French (I know, Americans are so ignorant)

Philomid
Location: Out proving Einstein's theory of relativity wrong. Be back in seven years. I think...

Postby Philomid » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:34 am UTC

Dwalin wrote:For me just English and French (I know, Americans are so ignorant)

I'm American. :)

EDIT: I'm also frosh in High School, so it's fun freak people out. Especially seniors.

Spoiler:
SecondTalon wrote:"Dude... We've dreamed of shit like this, plans to escape, what we'd do if it were to happen.. and it did. Don't you get it? We're fucking nerds."

Goofy-Boots

Postby Goofy-Boots » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:50 am UTC

well i only know english and spanish but when you spent as much time working with computers as i have you learn a lot of different programming languages. c was the first compiled language i learned, then c++ and i could go on and on with assembly, command lines, data-oriented and structured, as well as a little logic based languages. but i feel like im cheating using programming languages haha...

Philomid

Postby Philomid » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:01 am UTC

I know a bit of C, and I'm taking a class on it next year. I personally don't see programming langs. as cheating. It takes just as much work, and more accuracy than regular languages. Bravo!

Spoiler:

Goofy-Boots

Postby Goofy-Boots » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:04 am UTC

i still think yours are better than mine. if you let me borrow russian i will lend you c. i really want to go to russia.

Philomid

Postby Philomid » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:14 am UTC

If you have any questions about Russian, feel free to ask! I would also suggest http://www.russianlessons.net/. That's one of my main resources for Russian. Also, I'm not worrying `bout C right now; I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. As for going to Russia, I would totally suggest it! I've only been to the Moscow airport :( but it's all good.

EDIT: How do I make the link say something besides the URL? I would love to know that.

Spoiler:

mdoko

Postby mdoko » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:16 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:What other languages have you all studied?

Well, since the poll says non-English I would say 2, because may native language is Croatian, and also I studied German for 9 years.

I also like to learn "I do not speak [language]" in as many languages as possible.

Translation of "I do not speak Croatian." in Croatian is "Ne govorim hrvatski."
Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far as society is free to use the results.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”