Other Languages You've Studied

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

How many non-English languages have you studied?

none
0%
16%
27%
25%
13%
5-6
13%
7-9
7%

Total votes: 500

Makri

Re: Other Languages You've Studied

Postby Makri » Wed May 30, 2012 8:15 am UTC

Quenya: Nerd cred, that's it. Doesn't really count either. I stopped caring, partly because I couldn't find a decent word for 'to put', which annoyed me to no end.

German doesn't have a word for "put" either, and so do many languages. There are many much better reasons to not care about Quenya. ;)
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

Mapar

Re: Re:

Postby Mapar » Wed May 30, 2012 6:00 pm UTC

Daimon wrote:

好きな本
好きな本を読んでいる。

The last one might be more of, reading a liked book. Hmm...Maybe I could slap 事 to something and try that, but it's too early to think. But, I mean, is there really that much of a difference between, "I like reading this book" and "I'm reading a liked book (book I like)"

Actually, that would be a textbook example for a situation where の is better than 事, yielding 本を読むのがすき but I'll stop the derailing here.

I think the problem was 'I like reading books' in general, as opposed to 'I like this book I'm reading', which isn't any harder to say, but the way it works differs from English, obviously.

Makri wrote:
Quenya: Nerd cred, that's it. Doesn't really count either. I stopped caring, partly because I couldn't find a decent word for 'to put', which annoyed me to no end.

German doesn't have a word for "put" either, and so do many languages. There are many much better reasons to not care about Quenya. ;)

True :) Well, that was one of many. I kinda lost my LOTR fanboyism over the years anyway. Not that I don't like it anymore, I just don't care as much as I used to.

And I didn't know that 'put' didn't exist in German...
Hi.

Makri

Postby Makri » Wed May 30, 2012 7:01 pm UTC

"put" is unspecified for the target position - lying, sitting, standing, hanging, ... German has several verbs, specified for target positions. Although it just occurred to me that colloquial Souther German actually has (developped) an unspecified verb that works, as far as I can see, exactly like "put".
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

Mapar

Postby Mapar » Wed May 30, 2012 8:03 pm UTC

Makri wrote:"put" is unspecified for the target position - lying, sitting, standing, hanging, ... German has several verbs, specified for target positions. Although it just occurred to me that colloquial Souther German actually has (developped) an unspecified verb that works, as far as I can see, exactly like "put".

The thing is, Quenya had no way of expressing it. Only in very specific situations if you were lucky enough to find a way to go around it. (If memory serves, that is. I don't remember very much about it)
Hi.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed May 30, 2012 8:17 pm UTC

Makri wrote:it just occurred to me that colloquial Souther German actually has (developped) an unspecified verb that works, as far as I can see, exactly like "put".

Which one?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

WanderingLinguist

Postby WanderingLinguist » Wed May 30, 2012 10:33 pm UTC

In order of proficiency (descending)

- Korean (4 years, but I'm reasonably fluent and use it more often than English on a daily basis; I need it for work, and necessity is a good teacher)
- Japanese (10+ years off-and-on, but I've rarely used it practically, so it's kinda shit. I can have extended conversations in it, however, so I guess that's pretty good)
- Mandarin (Two semesters, but the first semester was mostly saying "ma, ma, ma, ma" in different tones -- so I actually speak and understand quite little)
- Arabic (One semester; I can read it, but have no idea what it means in most cases -- and if vowel marks are missing, I'm at a loss)
- French (Basically, I tried to "reverse-engineer" it while I was in France for a month; I didn't have a dictionary or even a phrasebook, but figured out enough to be able to communicate basic things, ask directions, etc. I am sure my grammar was absolutely horrific, but for tourism purposes I was able to make myself understood. When I got back after the trip, I got a textbook, but didn't study much).
- Spanish (Mostly through exposure rather than direct study, I can understand a bit. I'm planning to study it more seriously later this year...)
- Latin (Self study for a couple of months, but basically I forgot most of it)
- Klingon (Studied it out of curiosity, but at this point I only remember how to ask someone where they keep the chocolate)
- Navajo (Studied it from a phonological standpoint, and besides that know how to say hello)
- Quenya (Yes, I studied Quenya too, back before there were LOTR movies. Less because of being an LOTR fanboy and more because I'm a sucker for books with appendices; I collect antique dictionaries with funky appendices, just for example)

I'm sure there are a few that I'm missing. I'm crazy about studying new languages, but take few very far (besides English, the only two where I can hold my own in a conversation are Japanese and Korean, and my Japanese is rusty these days).
Last edited by WanderingLinguist on Thu May 31, 2012 8:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

raike

Postby raike » Thu May 31, 2012 12:01 am UTC

English: Native, with a slight southern (American) twang.
Malayalam: My family and parents' language--my second language; I've had it around me all my life--I can read and write it at at least a fifth grade level, and can comprehend the spoken language without problem. I have a rather terrible accent when speaking it (according to my mother, I pronounce words like they're in Hindi and sound 'too heavy'), so I don't speak it too often.
Japanese: 3 years in high school; I remember most of it, including a few hundred kanji. I'm a bit slow, but I can sort of get by if I need to. I've been meaning to get back into some self-study with this, eventually.
Hindi (Urdu as well, I guess--they're close enough): On my own, for the past year or so. I can get by if I need to, and don't have a foreigner's accent when speaking it. This is a work in progress--my conversational ability and comprehension of the spoken word need work.
French: 1 year in middle school, until I moved, discovered that my old school was rather behind--leaving me rather unprepared--and decided to take Japanese in high school instead.
Tamil: I can sort of puzzle out colloquial Tamil from my knowledge of Malayalam, sometimes.

After I get somewhere with Hindi and work a bit on my Japanese, I plan to learn at least one of French, Spanish, Arabic, and Chinese next.
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Thu May 31, 2012 4:37 pm UTC

It seems everyone has studied Japanese to some degree here; I'm wondering how far.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:37 am UTC

I've studied 3 languages (defining study as more than picking up a few phrases for travel).

French: Studied from 8 y.o. to about 12 y.o., can hardly remember any.

Spanish: Studied for 1 year at Uni, can hardly remember any.

Japanese: Studied since 12 y.o. now live in Japan and speak it all day every day.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”