Where can I hear Elfish, Tengwar, etc.

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

No Picnic

Where can I hear Elfish, Tengwar, etc.

Postby No Picnic » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:19 pm UTC

Hey, everyone! After noticing the black speak thread, my interest in wanting to hear some kind of elfish was rekindled. Is there some podcast, MP3 or anything where I can listen to someone speaking the language?

Hobgoblin

Re: Where can I hear Elfish, Tengwar, etc.

Postby Hobgoblin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

Youtube.
Life is the best toy anyone could ever give you, and I'm going to play with it until it breaks.

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:49 am UTC

Er, I don't know about sound recordings, but this is where I always point people with an interest in Tolkien's various elvish languages:

http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:18 am UTC

There's a pretty good pronunciation guide in the back of the third book. Everything else is just peoples interpretation of the same information.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

No Picnic

Postby No Picnic » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:36 am UTC

I'm not industrious enough to attempt to pronounce it myself. I wanted to go the easy route. Sadly, Youtube is not working today. I live in China, and it's blocked temporarily.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:34 am UTC

There are a couple of recordings of JRRT saying stuff, not sure where to obtain such, though - I know the seven volume Millennium Edition of LotR had a CD. There are also the Christopher Lee / Tolkien Ensemble LotR songs and poems but I'm not sure that there is more than a couple of poems in an Elvish tongue (A Elbereth Gilthoniel is, not sure what else.)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:29 am UTC

mrbaggins wrote:Everything else is just peoples interpretation of the same information.

Not true at all. Conlanging was a huge portion of Tolkien's life (he once quipped that he created LotR to have a world to put his languages in), and he left volumes of notes, sketches, ideas, etc. What ended up in the published version of LotR is only the beginnings of what there is to know.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”