Old capitalization rules

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

deconvoluted

Old capitalization rules

Postby deconvoluted » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

Hi,

I've noticed in reading older texts in English (e.g. the US Constitution) that all kinds of words are capitalized other than proper nouns and sentence beginnings.

Does anyone know what the rules were? I'd like to start writing that way ... it gives the writing that special biblical flair.

Thanks!

dalahäst

Re: Old capitalization rules

Postby dalahäst » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

In some Documents, all Nouns were capitalized as in German. In other Documents, words which the Writer deemed important were also Capitalized. I've always liked these Rules myself, they make Writing look more interesting.

deconvoluted

Postby deconvoluted » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

I did this once in a "creative writing" piece in English class - and they were all crossed out by my teacher (this is ages ago). He marked me off 10% for it. What a Jerk.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

For restrictions to be Imposed on creative Writing seems to Discourage creativity rather than encouraging it.

steewi

Postby steewi » Fri May 01, 2009 3:30 am UTC

My edition of Gulliver's Travels (apparently an exact transcription of the 1st ed) has all the nouns capitalised, proper or otherwise. It was a little disconcerting at first, but I quickly got over it.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Fri May 01, 2009 4:00 am UTC

I think it is still an accepted practice within Proper English to capitalise words to make a Point.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Fri May 01, 2009 6:12 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:When I read SENTENCES like that, it makes the whiole WORD sound like SHOUTING in my MIND. It is very DISCONCERTING.
Why are you SHOUTING at me? This reminds me of the WHAT VOICE DO YOU HEAR WHEN YOU READ THREAD. I actually HEAR capitalized WORDS as if a person were SHOUTING at me. It is a WEIRD FEELING and I HATE IT, because it makes me THINK of ANGRY PEOPLE. It is VERY DISCONCERTING indeed.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Postby 6453893 » Fri May 01, 2009 8:01 am UTC

Bobber wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:When I read SENTENCES like that, it makes the whiole WORD sound like SHOUTING in my MIND. It is very DISCONCERTING.
Why are you SHOUTING at me? This reminds me of the WHAT VOICE DO YOU HEAR WHEN YOU READ THREAD. I actually HEAR capitalized WORDS as if a person were SHOUTING at me. It is a WEIRD FEELING and I HATE IT, because it makes me THINK of ANGRY PEOPLE. It is VERY DISCONCERTING indeed.

Has ANYONE ever WANTED to capitalize THE PRONOUN 'I' for emphasis on BOARDS WITHOUT rich text support, and gotten ANNOYED that they CAN'T CAPITALIZE it any more than IT is already? WE NEED some kind of SUPER CAPS for THE pronoun 'I' as well as EXTRA LOUD SHOUTING.

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Fri May 01, 2009 8:12 am UTC

6453893 wrote:
Bobber wrote:

Has ANYONE ever WANTED to capitalize THE PRONOUN 'I' for emphasis on BOARDS WITHOUT rich text support, and gotten ANNOYED that they CAN'T CAPITALIZE it any more than IT is already? WE NEED some kind of SUPER CAPS for THE pronoun 'I' as well as EXTRA LOUD SHOUTING.
Ah-HA, like DOUBLE capslock or SOMETHING like that? I LIKE the IDEA, but I am AFRAID that it would be ABUSED too much by RETARDED 12-YEAR olds.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri May 01, 2009 9:31 am UTC

I have often run in to that Problem. I usually settle on Slashes. for Example "Well /I/ think you're wrong". In other News, there weren't enough Nouns in that last Sentence, so I added this Bit so I could capitalise some more.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Fri May 01, 2009 9:34 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:I have often run in to that Problem. I usually settle on Slashes. for Example "Well /I/ think you're wrong". In other News, there weren't enough Nouns in that last Sentence, so I added this Bit so I could capitalise some more.
I usually do underscores, for example "Well _I_ think you're wrong".

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Fri May 01, 2009 10:18 am UTC

Or you could just use Bold?
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri May 01, 2009 10:19 am UTC

Hyphens also work; "What the -fuck- is wrong with you?"
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Fri May 01, 2009 11:03 am UTC

deconvoluted wrote:I did this once in a "creative writing" piece in English class - and they were all crossed out by my teacher (this is ages ago). He marked me off 10% for it. What a Jerk.

I wish I could be as cool as a teacher who takes points off of kids' papers because he doesn't recognize the creativity of the writing, especially when he teaches English.

Man, I feel for you. I hate teachers like that.
Life is the best toy anyone could ever give you, and I'm going to play with it until it breaks.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Fri May 01, 2009 11:05 am UTC

Luthen wrote:Or you could just use Bold?

MAYBE THIS IS A GOOD IDEA FOR WHEN YOU NEED TO DOUBLE-CAPITALIZE AN I. YOU COULD ALWAYS BOLD IT. I THINK I MIGHT BE ONTO SOMETHING ABOUT "I"
Life is the best toy anyone could ever give you, and I'm going to play with it until it breaks.

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Fri May 01, 2009 11:29 am UTC

This is for Situations in which it is Impossible to Bold, Italicize or an any other way Change how the font is Rendered.

airplanespaceship3

Postby airplanespaceship3 » Fri May 01, 2009 2:15 pm UTC

Along those Lines, every Time I see a Word with a capital Letter in front, my Mind places an Emphasis on that capitalized Word. However, I would not go so far as to find such Emphasis as disconcerting. In fact, using Capitals to begin Nouns is quite fun. I wonder why it is no longer done?
"What's 2+2?"
"What do you want it to be?"

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri May 01, 2009 2:29 pm UTC

I would imagine that nouns stopped being capitalized due to an ease of reading issue. Because of the way most people skim text--additional capitals cause them to false positive new sentences in mind flow.

I do like Capitalized letters thrown about in old texts though--the single capitalization at the Beginning of the word emphasizes it without all the yelling of ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME.
Rice Puddin.

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Fri May 01, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

████
▕█▏
▕█▏
▕█▏
▕█▏
████ think this might work, for those who really want to be self-important. I picked up a Norton copy of Robinson Crusoe, and Defoe capitalizes all the nouns. It's a bit hard to read, as I tend to put little mental accents on all the "improperly" capitalized words.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri May 01, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

On the side-tangent of emphasis using ascii:
Spoiler:
*Hello*
/Hello/
_Hello_
^Hello^
(Hello)
+Hello+
=Hello=
#Hello#
!Hello!
?Hello?
%Hello%
-Hello-
>Hello<
<Hello>
[Hello]
|Hello|
~Hello~

%I% +like+ (some) *more* than >others<. %Hello% is ?surprisingly? !fun!.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Fri May 01, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

Velifer wrote:████
▕█▏
▕█▏
▕█▏
▕█▏
████ think this might work, for those who really want to be self-important. I picked up a Norton copy of Robinson Crusoe, and Defoe capitalizes all the nouns. It's a bit hard to read, as I tend to put little mental accents on all the "improperly" capitalized words.

I wish we could do drop caps here. Actually, you could if you used an image, but then you have to know how big everyone's screen is and such.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri May 01, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

I don't know about you lot, but *I* usually use asterisks when emphasizing without text formatting to help me.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Fri May 01, 2009 7:41 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I don't know about you lot, but *I* usually use asterisks when emphasizing without text formatting to help me.

Well _I_ use underscores, so _there_.

fwlbg

Postby fwlbg » Fri May 01, 2009 10:37 pm UTC

dalahäst wrote:In some Documents, all Nouns were capitalized as in German. In other Documents, words which the Writer deemed important were also Capitalized. I've always liked these Rules myself, they make Writing look more interesting.

This contains So Much Fucking Win! I agree, Writing seems Far More Interesting with Important Words Capitalised.

Okay, maybe I'm Overdoing it.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Fri May 01, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

You must take great Care not to overuse the capital Letters; otherwise it loses its Effect.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Sat May 02, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

dalahäst wrote:You must take great Care not to overuse the capital Letters; otherwise it loses its Effect.

Yeah Especially When You Read Really Bad Youtube Comments All Typed Out Like This Where Every Word Is Capitalized.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Sat May 02, 2009 6:30 pm UTC

Bobber wrote:

This is for Situations in which it is Impossible to Bold, Italicize or an any other way Change how the font is Rendered.

If you're writing it, circle, highlight, and draw cool pictures around the I.

You could give it a double necked electric guitar. I don't think anyone would question how serious you take your I after that.

Suffusion of Yellow

Postby Suffusion of Yellow » Mon May 04, 2009 4:01 am UTC

dalahäst wrote:In some Documents, all Nouns were capitalized as in German. In other Documents, words which the Writer deemed important were also Capitalized. I've always liked these Rules myself, they make Writing look more interesting.

And more expressive I think.

hocl

Postby hocl » Mon May 04, 2009 5:25 am UTC

Hobgoblin wrote:
dalahäst wrote:You must take great Care not to overuse the capital Letters; otherwise it loses its Effect.

Yeah Especially When You Read Really Bad Youtube Comments All Typed Out Like This Where Every Word Is Capitalized.
What in the world are you talking about? You didn't mispell any words, or even use double punctuation!! By Youtube standards, starting words with capital letters barely qualifies for mildly annoying.

The problem is that bolded I's simply don't stand out at all. I mean, if we weren't already discussing formatting, would you have even noticed the bolding? Asterisks are good, but if your message passes through MSWord at any time, the asterisks will turn into bold. Because Microsoft apparently feels free to hijack a printing character and turn it into a control character. And speaking of MSWord, the capital letters kinda run together, so it looks like MSW ord.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon May 04, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

hocl wrote:I mean, if we weren't already discussing formatting, would you have even noticed the bolding?

Yes. Dunno if you're using a different browser or font combination, but that bolded I is indeed quite obvious to me.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “Language/Linguistics”