words you know exist but you wonder why.

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Re: words you know exist but you wonder why.

Postby Bobber » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

I think that I may have a difference attitude towards it because I have heard it used in a song, and can thus associate it with a specific meaning and context.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:25 am UTC

exsanguinate

Why cant we just say "bleed to death?"

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:26 am UTC

Because exsanguinate allows for the word exsangunation to be formed, which sounds marginally better than bleed-to-deathination.
Also, as far as most TV-series leads us to believe, it's extensively used where applicable in forensic science.
Also, to exsanguinate can also mean to kill something by blood loss, or even in some cases to drain a body of blood, be it living or dead.

It's useful.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

Right. Bleed to death is a passive process, exsanguinate is or can be active. It's like die and kill, which are very different.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Right. Bleed to death is a passive process, exsanguinate is or can be active. It's like die and kill, which are very different.

One word: Vampires.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

HawkDesigns

Postby HawkDesigns » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:18 am UTC

Qua, I mean, what the hell's up with that?
Spoiler:
^Clicky clicky^

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:00 am UTC

On the other hand, dictionaries seem to report transitive uses of bleed.

dictionary.com wrote:12. to cause to lose blood, esp. surgically: Doctors no longer bleed their patients to reduce fever.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:21 pm UTC

"The victim seems to have been bled to death" still doesn't quite work, at least not in modern parlance.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:Latin has such quirky verbs. I kind 'paedico' also an excellent one if one looks at the structure. 'I childish'?,

stranger is though that Dutch has verbs with one syllable long stems for 'to perform fellatio on x' and 'to perform cunnilingus on x' and 'to perform analingus on x' where x is the direct object that all appear at first glance to be unmotivated words.

Latin is a great language for profanity and sex acts. I don't know what the rules are regarding language on this forum, so just to be safe, I'll put the discussion in a spoiler:

Spoiler:
Pedicare is of course a good example (meaning literally "to fuck anally"), but so is irrumare ("to fuck orally"). The associated nouns describing the direct objects are cinaede ("one being fucked anally") and fellator or pathice ("one giving a blow job"). This is just a small sample of the literally dozens of Latin words with related meanings, most of which are very precise.

Kow

Postby Kow » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

I try to communicate the idea I want to convey as succinctly as possible and obscure words facilitate this.

Looking at facilitate, I want to add an 's' to it, but it doesn't make sense if I do. Oh, I think it's 'cause it translates as "using obscure words" in my mind o.0

Regarding weird words, there's always a niche that'll use it. Someone mentioned earlier a word for the space between the top of the wine and the top of the bottle. Perhaps winery runners (is there a word for that? Winerer, from Winery? Firefox suggest winemaker but that doesn't cut it) often refer to it. It's gotta be tedious calling it the space between the top of the wine and the top of the bottle, so they made a word for it.

QuixoticWonderer

Postby QuixoticWonderer » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:30 pm UTC

The word for wine maker is vintner. (just fyi) :D

Kow

Postby Kow » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:33 pm UTC

Splendid! I'ma have to practice saying it. That dang ntn always throws me off. I end up saying it as just a very hard n and a soft t. VIN'ner.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

Kow wrote:Splendid! I'ma have to practice saying it. That dang ntn always throws me off. I end up saying it as just a very hard n and a soft t. VIN'ner.

Almost like the "long N" in penknife? Yeah.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

No, I'd say it's more of a glottal stop between the /n/s in 'vintner', whereas penknife is truly just a long /n/ without anything breaking it up in the middle.
---

(he/him/his)

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

Living where I do, I hear the word pretty regularly, and yes, it's a glottal stop, or at least it is in the local dialect.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:58 am UTC

Dibley wrote:Living where I do, I hear the word pretty regularly, and yes, it's a glottal stop, or at least it is in the local dialect.

I have heard both [ˈvɪnʔnɜɹ] and [ˈvɪntnɜɹ] pretty often. Websters online writes it as \ˈvint-nər\, which in IPA equates essentially to /ˈvɪntnɜɹ/.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:11 am UTC

Wiktionary lists "seller of wine" as being one definition, has anyone ever heard of this use? I restrict the word to mean "winery type person", specifically the wine maker, but also maybe the owner, and I'd call someone who sells wine a "wine merchant", and their store would be a "wine market".

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Dibley wrote:Wiktionary lists "seller of wine" as being one definition, has anyone ever heard of this use? I restrict the word to mean "winery type person", specifically the wine maker, but also maybe the owner, and I'd call someone who sells wine a "wine merchant", and their store would be a "wine market".

Yeah, that usage surprises me a little, but that is also the first definition in Websters and American Heritage, and the Online Etymology Dictionary lists it as the root of the word in English, Anglo-French, Old French, Middle Latin, and Latin. Apparently the distinction that vintners actually make wine, grow grapes, or maintain the winery, as opposed to just buying or selling wine, is not supported by usage or history, and might just be something I made up.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:09 pm UTC

Unless we all independently made it up, I'd say it definitely is supported somewhat by usage. Seeing as that's apparently how most of us use the word. (Though I wouldn't have a reaction of, "that's not right..." if someone used it for someone who's just selling the stuff, I think.)
---

(he/him/his)

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:19 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:No, I'd say it's more of a glottal stop between the /n/s in 'vintner', whereas penknife is truly just a long /n/ without anything breaking it up in the middle.

Gotcha. Yes, on reflection you're quite correct.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:38 am UTC

Vintner comes from vintry, a somewhat archaic term for a place where wine is sold or stored (it actually used to be "vinter" in Middle English). It seems to originate from around the same time as the establishment of London's wine guild, which sold imported wine (IIRC, England didn't have much of a wine making trade; they couldn't grow grapes very well, and what little they could produce was used for the Eucharist), so people had contact with wine sellers, but not wine makers. Additionally, I'd assume the wine makers were more or less faceless, both because they were in another country and because wine was identified more by the region than the individual winery.

Just as a guess, I'd say the meaning changed gradually with the increase of nonspecific wine sellers, which are the majority nowadays (most people in the US live within a few miles (or even a few blocks) of a place that sells wine, but those places also sell other things—it wouldn't make much sense to call the cashier at Wal-Mart or the liquor store a vintner). On the other hand, people who specifically make wine are still around, and they have a both relatively and absolutely greater presence in discourse.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu May 06, 2010 10:11 am UTC

Many collective nouns stump me. I understand the need to distinguish between geese in the air (skein) and geese on the ground (gaggle), but the need for separate words to describe crows (murder), ravens (unkindness) and rooks (clamour or storytelling) seems unnecessary, especially as they are, in my experience, rarely encountered without the name of the animal so described being appended anyway.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu May 06, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

That made me search for the official Collective Nouns Thread, and I'm rather disappointed that the Wikilist I included 2 years ago no longer exists. I'm sure it did a few months ago, because I wanted to prove to somebody that it was a neverthriving of jesters.

Edit: Har, it appears to have been expanded, to include lists by subject, collective term, and animals.

Edit 2: And it's a neverthriving of jugglers
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”