Pronunciation Help

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Dibley

Pronunciation Help

Postby Dibley » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:51 am UTC

I didn't see a thread for this...

I can't manage to pronounce [ʀ] (in German) or [ʁ] (in Hebrew), though I've never had any difficulty with [r]. The closest I've been able to get is something like [ɰ]. Anyone have any advice?

Post here if there are any phones that you have trouble with, or if you have advice.

Kow

Re: Pronunciation Help

Postby Kow » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:51 am UTC

I could never trill my Rs. I can do the thing to actually trill, but doing while talking just doesn't work somehow.

Hazel

Postby Hazel » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:06 pm UTC

I've never been able to trill my R's, which is actually a noticeable speech defect in Russian. I actually had my tongue frenulum clipped at age eight (which didn't help as far as I'm aware). I've worked with a lot of speech and language pathologists, but nothing seems to stick. I'm pretty sure what I actually pronounce is [ʀ] (which is more of a gargling than a trilling sound). Kow, what do you mean by trilling? The tip-of-the-tongue alveolar [r] trilling (the Russian pronunciation), or the uvular [ʀ] trilling?
Last edited by Hazel on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:21 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Makri

Postby Makri » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

Dibley, for German, you could actually circumvent your problem by adopting an Austrian accent, where using a tongue-tip r is perfectly normal. (Not sure this is really the kind of advice you're looking for, though... :oops: )
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

Well, if I can't figure it out the right way, I suppose it's better to be an Austrian than a "Stupid American".

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

I can't trill my r's either, and I speak Spanish. Luckily the rest of my pronunciation is quite good, so it's more Mexican Spanish with a speech impediment than Stupid American Spanish.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:38 am UTC

There's already a couple of long threads on R-thrilling alone, so I suggest that discussion on thrilled Rs be taken there, while other pronunciation help could remain in this thread. :)
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:08 am UTC

Rhotacism definitely seems to be one of the most common speech impediments, besides lisping and stuttering.

I've always had trouble with Rs in general, but mostly if they are more "ur" type than, say, "er" type. "Guard" is very, very difficult for me; it tends to sound like "god". In general, my Rs used to sound like either Ws (so "round" became "wound") or were omitted (if at the end...like "dinner" is "dinna").

I was told to curl it up towards the roof, and "squeeze". I was also told by one speech therapist to put my teeth together, like a tiger saying "grrrrr" but another one told me that's wrong. I was also told to raise the /back/ of my tongue to make the sound, but that sounds...too soft.

Which method do people usually do? The front method? And if so...how far do you put your tongue up? I used to curl it as far back as possible.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Roĝer

Postby Roĝer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:57 am UTC

Obviously the best solution is to speak from infancy a language with beautifully rolled r's. It would only be fair, since other native speakers start to learn English at younger and younger ages. So pick your language now before we make the decision for you!
Ik ben niet koppig, ik heb gewoon gelijk.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”