Perception of ones own voice.

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

TheQuestionIsYes

Perception of ones own voice.

Postby TheQuestionIsYes » Thu May 13, 2010 12:26 am UTC

Is there a way for a person to reliably hear ones honest voice, instead of the one distorted by their skull?
The obvious solution is to just record your voice and play it back, but that isn't sustainable at all, because it's not in real time. You have to finish everything before hearing it back and can't adjust to it as you speak. It's the problem of information; hearing your voice as you do, with all sorts of lower pitches amplified beyond what they should be, you calibrate everything based on this information, and so you speak wrongly, always a step off from what you are trying to convey.
Hearing your honest voice only occasionally give only cursory information that is easily forgotten or badly applied.
This might be a useless question to ask, because every method I can think of is totally absurd (wear a telemarketer headset all day, etc..)
Ideas? Elaborations on the subject at least?

Makri

Re: Perception of ones own voice.

Postby Makri » Thu May 13, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

Remove either your ears or your voicing apparatus from your head, I suppose...

I don't think that hearing your voice differently from others is that much of a problem. After all, most of the time we do succeed in conveying information by controlling our voice.
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Fri May 14, 2010 12:26 am UTC

It seems like you're asking if it's possible to speak without making your skull resonate.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

TheQuestionIsYes

Postby TheQuestionIsYes » Fri May 14, 2010 5:43 am UTC

Yeah, sounds even more ridiculous reading it back now than when I wrote it.

levantis

Postby levantis » Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

Actually, I don`t think it`s so ridiculous. On many speakers, they make a special pre-equalization to account for the resonance in the box the speaker is put into. You can do the same with your skull, that is, attach a microphone to your throat or any other place, and tune the equalizer until your voice sounds the same in realtime and on a recording.
Also, i`ve spoken on a microphone i quite big halls, where the speakers are loud, and there, you actually hear the voice that others do.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”