Do you use the term "Ginger"?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

animeHrmIne

Do you use the term "Ginger"?

Postby animeHrmIne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

Ginger, of course, meaning a person with red hair.

I'd always thought of it as a mainly British term, when I heard/read it at all. But I moved to the Ozarks, and here the term is extremely common. My father, from Iowa, had never heard of it, but everyone I know around here uses it.

So, where are you from, and is the term ginger common there?
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

TaintedDeity

Re: Do you use the term "Ginger"?

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:10 pm UTC

I always use the term ginger. The phrase "red hair" just annoys me because... it's not red. It's a coppery colour. Not red.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:39 pm UTC

I don't use it personally, but I've heard it fairly commonly. It seems to have spread over the internet, or maybe that South Park episode.

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:44 pm UTC

We don't really have any equivalent in my language, so no. Don't use it when I speak English either, because the hangup with gingers seems odd. I'm not aware of a hangup with gingers ( :o )in my own culture at least,
not sure it's that common elsewhere either.
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:43 am UTC

I always use "redhead". I only learned about "ginger" in the past few years, and given all the anti-gingerism and whatnot over in Britain, it seems kind of loaded.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:46 am UTC

I forgot to add this in my last post. I don't really have much more to add to the topic though..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:50 am UTC

Only because my friends all started watching Doctor Who...
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Dissident Love

Postby Dissident Love » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:53 am UTC

I prefer "Flame-Haired Minions Of The Dark Lord", but ginger is easier when you're in a hurry.
addams wrote:The whole of the US Population is a Special Needs Group.
Yeah, but we're just ordinary Earthlings, not wierdos from another planet like he is.

fənɑlədʒɪst

Postby fənɑlədʒɪst » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:33 am UTC

I live in Georgia, USA and we say "redheads." Ginger sounds as British to me as "snog."

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:55 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:I always use "redhead". I only learned about "ginger" in the past few years, and given all the anti-gingerism and whatnot over in Britain, it seems kind of loaded.

Whilst it is true that there is anti-gingerism in Britain, it isn't generally loaded (at least in my experience) and describes something distinct from redhead. For one thing, I would very rarely call a guy redhead but wouldn't bat an eyelid at a woman being described so. Likewise, redhead tends to be a darker colour, closer to brown hair whereas ginger is more brightly coppery and often slightly closer to blond(e).

Examples:

ginger

redhead
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:04 pm UTC

I don't see an appreciable difference between those two hair colors.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

fənɑlədʒɪst

Postby fənɑlədʒɪst » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:47 pm UTC

The EGE wrote:I don't see an appreciable difference between those two hair colors.

I agree. They look the same to me. They're both red. haha

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:15 pm UTC

I can see the difference. If pressed, I would describe both as gingers, but I'd only apply redhead to the second girl. Also for her, rawr.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

I know what people mean when they say there are two colors (because some are more orangey than others), but for me it's just part of one redheadedness continuum.

In any case, I'm totally in favor of this degenerating into a gorgeous redhead/ginger appreciation thread.

kari.png
Exit the vampires' castle.

Dissident Love

Postby Dissident Love » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

I'd like to elect the checkout girl at my local all-purpose superstore. Women that gorgeous have no right being checkout girls. Pictures will have to wait until certain laws change, though.
addams wrote:The whole of the US Population is a Special Needs Group.
Yeah, but we're just ordinary Earthlings, not wierdos from another planet like he is.

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:21 pm UTC

I really struggled to tell the two apart, I'd have claimed lighting had more to do with it. Then again, I can sit in a room for hours without noticing what colour the walls are :|

Sort of on topic, I have brown/dark brown hair, but my beard is a festival of weird. Black, white, orange, red, sort of.. coppery. If I had any sense, and wasn't so lazy, I'd probably shave. :)

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:13 am UTC

Thirty-one wrote:I really struggled to tell the two apart, I'd have claimed lighting had more to do with it. Then again, I can sit in a room for hours without noticing what colour the walls are :|

Sort of on topic, I have brown/dark brown hair, but my beard is a festival of weird. Black, white, orange, red, sort of.. coppery. If I had any sense, and wasn't so lazy, I'd probably shave. :)

There's a boy in the class ahead of me sort of like that. He has black hair, but in the right lighting there's a red patch on the top, especially in summer. And the goatee area and side-burn area of his face of his face are black, but (as he found out for No-Shave November), the connecting bits are red. It's actually kind of cool.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

Well, English isn't my native language, so perhaps it's not surprising that I didn't know about this term until I heard it on South Park. We just call red-haired people rödhåriga, here, although since that South Park episode aired I've heard the term be used once or twice in jest.

Back when I was living in the U.S. (1997-2000), the term redhead was used; I never heard ginger. Of course, I went to a good Elementary School in Connecticut, so I didn't hear a lot of politically incorrect terms at all (except from South Park; I was one of the few children that were allowed to watch it).
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

I dislike both terms. That spectrum of hair is neither red nor ginger. I would a dirty blond a ginger before I'd call a redhead ginger.

But I'm also slightly ridiculous.

When pressed and it's inappropriate to approximate further (ie copper, orange, auburn, mahogany, etc), I say redhead.

ICEE

Postby ICEE » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

As a ginger I can assure you that yes, people use this phrase.

Sometimes out of cars speeding by me, in accompaniment with thrown objects. :roll:

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:59 pm UTC

ICEE wrote:As a ginger I can assure you that yes, people use this phrase.
Sometimes out of cars speeding by me, in accompaniment with thrown objects. :roll:

But why you mad, though? It's not like redheads feel pain or anything.
Wikipedia wrote:One study found that people with red hair are more sensitive to thermal pain (associated with naturally occurring low vitamin K levels), while another study concluded that redheads are less sensitive to pain from multiple modalities, including noxious stimuli such as electrically induced pain.

Lesson: When dealing with those who have abundant pheomelanin--a chemical KNOWN TO SCIENCE to be associated with SATAN, choose fire over other methods.
Gingers: come to America where you'll just be redheads (and we'll discriminate against you for being damn foreigners.)
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

yeyui

Postby yeyui » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

Thanks to the Doctor and South Park, I am quite familiar with the term, and I have heard people use it. However, I haven't heard an Americans using it as their usual term. Apart from the connotations is has from elsewhere, I like the sound of it. It does bother me a little though, since ginger root is blond and not reddish at all.

spoonner

Postby spoonner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:26 pm UTC

I generally only use the term ginger if they're especially... ginger-y. That is, freckles, pale skin, and ginger colored hair. to me, the term seems a little derogatory Something to say when you get mad at them, for example. Nothing as extreme as "nigger" or "spic" but something that is just looked down upon.

I do use the term redhead, though. I tend to only use it for people who have natural, or at least natural looking, red hair. If not, then it's probably "that girl with red hair" or "red haired dude" or some such form.

Just my opinion as a non-ginger/redhead with several ginger/redhead friends.

Also I am totally up for degeneration of that nature

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:I'd always thought of it as a mainly British term, when I heard/read it at all. But I moved to the Ozarks, and here the term is extremely common. My father, from Iowa, had never heard of it, but everyone I know around here uses it.
That must be a bit of a regional anomaly for the Ozarks. According to the BYU Corpus, "red" is used in American English in relation to hair more than 40 times as often as "ginger" is.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

fr00t

Postby fr00t » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:24 am UTC

I had never heard the term until that south park episode. Further, it seems a good rule of thumb to avoid using descriptive terms (especially if they describe something involuntary) for humans that you have frequently heard used in a negative way.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:59 am UTC

I don't know where you folks are getting the idea that 'ginger' is such a bad word.
In the UK it's almost exclusively used, in my experience. Sure, some people will shout it at you in the streets, but then some people will shout "gay!", "long hair" or "goth" in the streets.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:35 am UTC

Do we know why it's called `ginger' colored? Last I checked, ginger was this color:Image
So clearly I'm missing something.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:32 pm UTC

This site gives some possible explanations.
Ginger cake is an orangey/red colour like the hair.
'Ginger' used to describe a different spice that was a red/orange colour.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:52 pm UTC

fənɑlədʒɪst wrote:I live in Georgia, USA and we say "redheads." Ginger sounds as British to me as "snog."

I snogged a ginger once. She tasted of fags.

jinja, please. There's a difference between ginga and ginger. The word is pretty loaded on this side of the pond, with equal weighting on negative and positive connotations. Only context can differentiate between the two. Ginger hair is often seen as a sign of beauty (and Irishness) in girls, and of ridicule in boys. Most ginger people (guys) I know bore the brunt of bullying in school, and embraced their fiery manes in adulthood. (A good deal have impressive dreadlocks/shaggy beards and proud sideburns)
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

One of my closest friends uses Ginger as his nickname. He loves the attention his complexion and hair gives him. Though I think the term only really caught on around the time of that south park episode. Before then he was just a redhead, but now hes got conversation lines incorporating his hair and jokes about being sub-human. I can see how people could get offended by that.

I wouldn't call his older brother a ginger though, his hair is far darker. Technically I think he is a day-walker.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:51 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:Do we know why it's called `ginger' colored? Last I checked, ginger was this color:
Spoiler:

So clearly I'm missing something.

The ginger slices served with sushi are often a pinkish color:

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:34 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:The ginger slices served with sushi are often a pinkish color:

Yeah, but those are (typically, apparently the pickling process can leave them slightly pink) dyed pink, and I'm pretty sure that the word ginger predates the use of pickled ginger in cuisine in English-speaking countries.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Eastwinn

Postby Eastwinn » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:24 pm UTC

Where I'm from, "ginger" is used to describe someone with red/orange hair, pale skin, and light brown/orange freckles.
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:07 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I don't know where you folks are getting the idea that 'ginger' is such a bad word.
In the UK it's almost exclusively used, in my experience. Sure, some people will shout it at you in the streets, but then some people will shout "gay!", "long hair" or "goth" in the streets.

Because it's not a common word in America, or, that is, wasn't a common word in the US until the South Park episode when it was used as a insult/slur. That said, it's not a heavy slur at all, and the ones who get offended by it are generally those who are getting harassed in general, which I heard South Park has increased the rates of. But I don't think most red heads would have a problem with it. I mean, it's not like calling a muslim a towelhead.

EDIT: also, a ginger, as defined by Eric Cartman, is a redhead with light skin and freckles. Red heads without light skin or freckles are referred to as "Daywalkers".
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

EllOhEll

Postby EllOhEll » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:37 pm UTC

I use 'ginger' to refer only to those redheads who have pale skin and freckles.

eSOANEM wrote:
Spoiler:

Yum. :L

Sasha S

Postby Sasha S » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:02 am UTC

Never outside of baking or discussing East Asian cuisine, I'm afraid.

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

Sasha S wrote:Never outside of baking or discussing East Asian cuisine, I'm afraid.

Well, there are also those times when discussing one who gings.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

I first heard british people using it on another forum. I hadn't heard someone from the US use it until South Park aired "Ginger Kids."
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

boviex

Postby boviex » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:47 am UTC

In Australia I've heard "ranga", as in orang-utan, used mostly in jest. Seems to make more sense than "ginger" anyway.

hjordis

Postby hjordis » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:33 am UTC

broken_escalator wrote:One of my closest friends uses Ginger as his nickname. He loves the attention his complexion and hair gives him. Though I think the term only really caught on around the time of that south park episode. Before then he was just a redhead, but now hes got conversation lines incorporating his hair and jokes about being sub-human. I can see how people could get offended by that.

Yeah I live in the US and I've heard it rather often, usually in this way. I don't really get it, but then I also don't watch South Park.

There was one kid who called me ginger. It was a bit weird considering my hair is chestnut. More brown than red. He was just weird in general though.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”