lamora92

Find the final answer

Postby lamora92 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:40 am UTC

Hey guys!
Can you help me find the final solution to this puzzle :

What I've thought of so far:
Spoiler:
Q1 : alphabet substitution gives the word 'risk'
Q2 : alphabet substitution gives 'bad'.. but I don't think its correct as the colours would be meaningless. So maybe it is 2 in white, 1 in pink and 4 in black to give 'hpc'?. I know I'm wrong as I''m not getting a sensible final answer

thefargo

Re: Find the final answer

Postby thefargo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:00 pm UTC

more thoughts:
Spoiler:
I agree with 'risk'
No progress on Q2
I assume that the 13 in the final clue means M
You note that one box in Q1 and Q2 is blue, and the final solution has 6 boxes. I interpret that to mean you leave out those letters
That makes the final solution
R I K _ _ M
Assuming that this is an anagram of something, I imagine at least one more vowel is needed, which means the first or second letter of Q2 must be a vowel.

I'll think on Q2 some more. At least it is simple enough to hold in one's head. Gives me something for on the bus.

Rhombic

Postby Rhombic » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:27 pm UTC

One idea:
Spoiler:
Since the answer for the first group is the third one, the third letter of risk (s) has some value. shpcm?

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:41 pm UTC

Spoiler:
For the second one, could it be significant that "two", "one" and "four" are homophones of "to", "won", and "for"? It reads to me like word puzzle, maybe the answer starts with "too white" or something.
The preceding comment is an automated response.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:57 pm UTC

Assuming thefargo is correct,

Spoiler:
These are the words found by http://www.scrabblefinder.com/solver/ with input rikm?? at 6 letters:
imbark
impark
karmic
kermis
mikron
milker
mirker
rumaki
smirks
smirky

We'd have to get Q2 to match the bolded letters of one of these answers to confirm. Disregarding the colors, lamora92's guess of "bad" would mean that "B" and "A" are the letters from Q2, and we can use the answer "IMBARK" for the final puzzle. Imbark is an archaic form of embark. I don't think this is the correct solution.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

thefargo

Postby thefargo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:56 pm UTC

Well done, Moose. That's a good idea.

Spoiler:
I've been racking my brain to come up with a solution that makes any sense whatsoever using Moose's list. I can't come up with anything. This may mean that the interpretation that 13 is an M is wrong. Maybe it's a B (1 and 3 smooshed together)?

Alternatively, it could be the reverse - only the blue letters make it to the final solution. That means 13 somehow generates 4 additional letters. Based on the visual layout, I don't think so.

Does a known solution exist to this puzzle?

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:53 pm UTC

Another thought on what the 13 could mean.

Spoiler:
What if it's taking the first three letter of the previous 2 solution and then doing something to them? So the thirteen doesn't actually add any new letters it just changes what we already have. Like ROT13 maybe?

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:13 am UTC

After browsing around on http://www.numtech.com where the image is hosted, I think OP had found the right track:

Spoiler:
lamora92 wrote:Q1 : alphabet substitution gives the word 'risk'
Q2 : So maybe it is 2 in white, 1 in pink and 4 in black to give 'hpc'?

The company makes risk management software and talks about HPC (high-performance computing).

My final answer:

Spoiler:
If you take the letters from the blue boxes you get SC13, which turns out to be the name of a supercomputing conference last year involving related topics. My best guess for the final answer is the location of the conference - 'denver'

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:44 pm UTC

Bloopy wrote:After browsing around on http://www.numtech.com where the image is hosted
Ah, context makes a difference. Nice work Bloopy.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

thefargo

Postby thefargo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:32 pm UTC

Yes, well done! I need to get better at the "detective work" side of some of these puzzles...

Return to “Logic Puzzles”