Puzzle with cards

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

gmgm

Puzzle with cards

Postby gmgm » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:23 pm UTC

Here's another puzzle that I haven't solved yet. Instructions are the same as with the previous puzzles I posted, read them here: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109269. Again, the answer we are looking for should be in the form of one letter, either upper case or lower case.

Image(if the picture doesn't appear for some reason, try to click this link)

I don't know exactly what type of puzzle this is, so if you have an opinion about what type it is likely to be, do share. Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, narrowing of possible answers would be very welcome!

Lopsidation

Re: Puzzle with cards

Postby Lopsidation » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:47 pm UTC

Here are the letters:

Code: Select all

f E N J x
H U p t i
G y A W m
R p d s G
S F f a

Though I bet the puzzle is "find the correct missing card and then convert it to a letter", in which case this is useless.

Sandor

Re: Puzzle with cards

Postby Sandor » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:57 pm UTC

It seems very tenuous, and ignores a lot of information, but:
Spoiler:
The ranks of the cards in the right hand column are all the highest rank in their respective row, and are all one more than the next highest rank (assuming that Ace ranks above King, which the letter table implies).

Also, the suits of the cards in the right hand column do not appear anywhere else in their respective row.

If these two observations also hold true for the missing card, that would make it the 8 of Clubs, or the letter 't'.

Return to “Logic Puzzles”