11 letter puzzle

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

gmgm

11 letter puzzle

Postby gmgm » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:37 pm UTC

Here's another puzzle that I haven't solved yet. Instructions are the same as with the previous puzzles I posted, read them here: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109269 (I think this is the last one of these that I will post. The ones that I posted that aren't solved (or not for sure) are: number sequence, "CASUAL ETOJP", Puzzle with cards, 5 word puzzle). Again, the answer we are looking for should be in the form of one letter, either upper case or lower case.

Code: Select all

s e
d n
r t
t r
o
r t

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, narrowing of possible answers would be very welcome!

Ralp

Re: 11 letter puzzle

Postby Ralp » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:09 pm UTC

As a very wild guess: the pairs of letters might be the initials of the cities or nations or mascots of the sports teams that competed against each other in the championships for a certain span of 6 years.
:?:

12obin

Postby 12obin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:28 am UTC

Spoiler:
The most obvious things to me are that lonely "o" and the repetition of "r t" (and maybe also the "t r"?). I was thinking about initials of political leaders or something, but that "o" really changes things.
I thought maybe there would be a letter that could go in the middle, like in column 2 if what we have is columns 1 and 3, but nothing doing and I guess that would be too simple.
Robin, she.

12obin

Postby 12obin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:00 am UTC

Their positions in the alphabet

19, 05
04, 14
18, 20
20, 18
18, 20

I get nothing exciting from that. Columns add up to 94 and 77 respectively. I'm just posting this useless information so that anyone considering doing these things will save their time and try a different approach.

I'm not sure whether the isolation of the "o" is significant, or whether we're solving for the other letter in that row.

As far as the sports angle goes, I'm not knocking it but I'm not getting anything good out of the World Cup or the Olympics. I'm not sure what else is big enough to be "general knowledge".
Robin, she.

Return to “Logic Puzzles”