Simple Math Puzzle

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

tzar1990

Simple Math Puzzle

Postby tzar1990 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:20 am UTC

Hello, everyone! I found this puzzle in a science magazine, and I thought you might like it, although it's a bit less complex then some of the ones you've seen around here.

Code: Select all

# / # x # = 1
  -   F   F
  # F # F # = 22
  +   F   F
  # + # - # = 3
  =   =   =
  6  -5   4

In case you can't read my attempt at ASCII, it's a five by five grid. The # spaces are places where you insert a single-digit number from one to nine. You must use each number once. The F spaces are where you insert a plus, minus, multiplication or division sign. Nothing goes in the blank spaces. Finally, you may insert brackets anywhere you want. There are two possible solutions, but they're effectively identical. I know that this is probably MUCH simpler than you're used to, but I want to see how fast someone here gets it...
The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes

Mouffles

Re: Simple Math Puzzle

Postby Mouffles » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:56 am UTC

Spoiler:

Code: Select all

8 /(4 x 2)= 1
-   -   +
7 + 9 + 6 = 22
+   x   /
5 + 1 - 3 = 3
=   =   =
6  -5   4
In the spirit of taking things too far - the 5x5x5x5x5 Rubik's Cube.

tzar1990

Postby tzar1990 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:17 am UTC

That's right. You got it about 7 times faster than I did, too. Then again, I'm just a high-school student.
The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:51 am UTC

tzar1990 wrote:That's right. You got it about 7 times faster than I did, too. Then again, I'm just a high-school student.

Including the time it took someone bored enough to do it to stumble upon your topic... :roll:

the noobs don't need the snark -jr
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Return to “Logic Puzzles”