3AM thought

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

UniMatrix

3AM thought

Postby UniMatrix » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

"The only two possible outcomes for the US elections were either Barack Obama winning or John McCain winning."

Use a technical "proof" to show that this is false.
Then, use a realistic "proof" to show that it is in fact, true.
Also, use a fatalist theory to once again prove it false.

My thoughts (note: it's spoilers for a reason):

Spoiler:
Technical proof:
Possible outcomes could be Obama, McCain, Clinton, etc.. Plenty of other candidates.

Realistic proof:
Had Hillary Clinton beaten Obama for the Democratic candidacy, McCain would most likely have won.

Fatalist proof:
Obama won, and that's the way it is.

Note: There are no right or wrong answers, at long as it's reasonable. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.
Subnote: Yes, the elections are over, and I should just move on, but it's my 3AM thought and I'll post it if I wish.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Re: 3AM thought

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:37 am UTC

It depends on what time period you are speaking of. A year ago, Hillary Clinton was a viable candidate for president. Six months ago, there were only two viable candidates for president. On November 1, the 44th president was pretty well determined.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Esquilax

Postby Esquilax » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:26 am UTC

Spoiler:
Well, the fact is, any time before the election took place, if one (or both) of the candidates had died then different candidates would necessarily emerge.
Spoiler:

GreedyAlgorithm

Postby GreedyAlgorithm » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:45 am UTC

UniMatrix wrote:Note: There are no right or wrong answers, at long as it's reasonable.

Yes, there are wrong answers. For example, "Obama won, and that's the way it is." is a wrong answer. Either "the only two possible outcomes" in the original question has some coherent, useful meaning, in which case the "proof" is obviously ignoring something important (maybe the implementation of counterfactuals?), or it has no coherent, useful meaning (this may be the case under fatalism?) in which case the question is not well posed in the first place.
GENERATION 1-i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

Question: are my kids safe asleep?
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Return to “Logic Puzzles”