A Frozen Crowd

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Kamikkels

A Frozen Crowd

Postby Kamikkels » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:13 pm UTC

A simple riddle, but also one I've never solved.
Sixteen letters house a square,
where,
in the middle of the day,
my German friend will stay
for tea at home.
A palindrome.

JBJ

Re: A Frozen Crowd

Postby JBJ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:50 pm UTC

Google search.
Spoiler:
N O O N
O T T O
O T T O
N O O N
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

KeithM

Postby KeithM » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:15 pm UTC

I think Google should be pressured not to index sites that have answers to such riddles.
"It is nothing short of a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry." - A.E.

GreedyAlgorithm

Postby GreedyAlgorithm » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:16 am UTC

I think creators should be pressured to create artifacts which are not as Googlable as riddles.
GENERATION 1-i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:07 am UTC

KeithM wrote:I think Google should be pressured not to index sites that have answers to such riddles.

If people want to ruin it themselves then google is certainly not the entity that should be preventing them from doing so. People can make their own choices about how they want to play the riddle game.

I myself thought about if for a week or so and then looked at the answer. I'd gotten about 3/4s of it. But even knowing the answer I still feel it's a bit vague so I am pretty satisfied. Of course things like this work better in person so you can get appropriate hints if your stuck.

The incorrect assumption I made was:
Spoiler:
I assumed that there would be four different four letter palindromic words that made the square. Not two words repeated. I guess the point is that the answer is a palindrome of palindromes.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Return to “Logic Puzzles”