The Code Challenge

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

adrianhon

The Code Challenge

Postby adrianhon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:34 pm UTC

I've been working on a big treasure/puzzle hunt for a BBC show called The Code, a three-part series by Prof. Marcus du Sautoy about maths in the world around us. To win the treasure, you need to be a UK resident over 18 BUT that doesn't mean you can't play the treasure hunt, which is plenty fun and challenging in and of itself.

We just released an 84 page puzzle book that sits more or less independently of the show (although it does refer to it on occasion), containing a range of some very easy and some *extremely* tricky logic puzzles and brainteasers that I imagine people here would love, and there's an entire meta-puzzle layer that sits on top of it. Check out some screenshots:

A caveat: You need three 'Codebreaker passwords' obtained earlier in the hunt to unlock the puzzle book PDF. It's still possible to get them by via the Codebreakers, playing the games, and watching clips on YouTube (or by asking on our Facebook group)

Hope you guys like it! It's not a commercial thing, no-one is making any money out of it, it's just another nice thing the BBC is giving to the world :) Speaking as one of the designers, it's been a real labour of love for us. I was the lead designer of the Perplex City puzzle hunt, and The Code treasure hunt is a bit like its spiritual successor, especially since one of our designers is Eric Harshbarger, puzzle and lego dude extraordinaire (plus Perplex City veteran).

Here's the SOLUTIONS thread!

zemerick

Re: The Code Challenge

Postby zemerick » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:19 am UTC

RIP Perplex City. I really enjoyed it, and was prepared to really stock up with the second one. It was really sad that it did not at least make it to completion of the second:( That game had some amazingly mind-numbing puzzles ( and last I checked several still unsolved after several years now...), and it looks as though this will be no different.

I don't live in the UK, so I'll have to see about another way to watch the show, as it sounds interesting. Thanks!

Adam Preston
WINNING

Postby Adam Preston » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:39 pm UTC

you could watch the episodes on bbc.co.uk
He who will not economize will have to agonize - Confucius

zemerick

Postby zemerick » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:40 am UTC

Adam Preston wrote:you could watch the episodes on bbc.co.uk

Locked outside of the UK. I've watched it though, there are alternatives on the internet :)

It was ok. I think it tried to be a bit too metaphysical, though there were plenty of interesting little things here and there. It probably would have been a lot better if it was more than just 3 episodes. Time constraints suck.

Going to take a look at some of the code stuff later, but I never was too good at these kinds of things.

Adam Preston
WINNING

Postby Adam Preston » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

Sorry to hear that BBC was locked outside of the UK, but well done for finding it, keep trying the puzzles I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.
He who will not economize will have to agonize - Confucius

Return to “Logic Puzzles”