This Is Not Tom

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

casualevils

This Is Not Tom

Postby casualevils » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:31 am UTC

So I had heard about this a while ago, and apparently its a few years old, but Its still intruiging. Lots of different ways you need to think. I haven't gotten very far in, but its really cool.

http://thisisnottom.com/

CyeKat

Re: This Is Not Tom

Postby CyeKat » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:10 am UTC

Thanks for posting this! It's an amusing site. Fair warning: the source for the final clue has changed making it unsolvable without cheating. I was lucky enough to stumble across it early on before things got changed up.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
mathclass.php will be a dead end

If you want the answer (that no longer exists):
Spoiler:
Solve the math problems.
Observe the image title geoclass (I believe) indicating the answers are coordinates
Use the solution to look up the coordinates online with Google Maps
What is now an empty field, was once a crop maze of "The Vitruvian Man"
Now there's some maze in a nearby field of a cartoon I don't recognize.
The answer is supposed to be vitruvianman

Once you've reached the end, there's a whole new beginning...

Danny Uncanny7

Postby Danny Uncanny7 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:15 am UTC

I think I prefer the relatively straight forward MOTAS

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:18 am UTC

Having been burned by notpr0n in the past, I have to ask in advance: does this one require the player to be intimately familiar with American products and pop culture, and also running IE and Windows and willing to download random unvetted programs off the Internet in order to beat the puzzles?

Because if so, I might give it a miss.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:41 am UTC

Yeah, this whole puzzle site gets a thumbs down from me.

The last puzzle is completely unsolvable without finding a site where someone says the answer:
Spoiler:
Even if you do guess that the math problems code coordinates, and even if you do decide to settle on the coding x y z w -> xºy'z.w", the coordinates are (as of the most recent Google view at the time of this posting) a picture of Asterix and Obelix.

The previous puzzle has similar issues:
Spoiler:
George Washington first made history in Dayton? According to who? The word "Dayton" appears nowhere I can find in any of the Wikipedia articles on George Washington, and the city of Dayton didn't exist until 3 years before he died—long after he first made history.

The second puzzle required specific (and not easily googleable) pop culture knowledge. (Admittedly, what popular culture was needed was fairly obvious, and if I'd been willing to waste an hour consuming pop culture to solve the puzzle I wouldn't have needed to cheat.) I didn't find any of the other puzzles clever or interesting.

phlip wrote:Having been burned by notpr0n in the past, I have to ask in advance: does this one require the player to be intimately familiar with American products and pop culture

Well, there are only 6 puzzles (not counting the YouTube videos; I'm not bothering with those), so I wouldn't say "intimately" familiar. There are pop culture references.

...and also running IE and Windows and willing to download random unvetted programs off the Internet in order to beat the puzzles?

No, that's not required.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

coda

Postby coda » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

The puzzle involving George Washington doesn't actually have anything to do with where the man had been.
Spoiler:
The random letter sequence given at the bottom of the picture corresponds to a serial number of a U.S. one dollar bill.
The task is to take that serial number and look it up using a website called Where's George (.com)
You still have a valid point. The puzzle is no longer solvable without cheating because looking up the serial number no longer gives you a proper answer. Instead you get redirected to a warning page slapping you on the wrist for putting in a false number.

I assume this wasn't a problem a while back when the site was "fresher"

Return to “Logic Puzzles”