Folding condiments

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Moose Anus

Folding condiments

Postby Moose Anus » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

I have a pack of pepper and salt attached in the middle, with pepper on one side and salt on the other. Both sides are half-full.

I wanted to fold this pack in half for easy transport:

However, the salt and the pepper within the pack made the pack feel really fat to me. So I decided to make them dodge each other by keeping the salt on the bottom of the packet while shaking the pepper up to the top of the packet. The salt kept slipping through my grip, so I wasn't able to perfectly make them dodge each other. After a few days of screwing with it while compiling, I finally figured it out.

QUESTION: How can I fold the packet in half along the center line presented in the picture, and also not have any pepper or salt stacked directly on top of the other? Holding a condiment so it does not fall by gravity does not work.

In the end, the folded pack was still just as fat as in the first place of course, but the stuff was not stacked.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Diemo

Re: Folding condiments

Postby Diemo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:33 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Ok, my thought is that you hold it on one end and shake it, so that all of the salt and the pepper goes to the bottom of their respective packs, and then you fold it over. The bottom of the salt them becomes the top of the pepper, and you have no overlapping (though this might not work because as you shake the salt it will slowly work its way to the bottom to stack with the pepper (I think).
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:39 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:
Spoiler:
Ok, my thought is that you hold it on one end and shake it, so that all of the salt and the pepper goes to the bottom of their respective packs, and then you fold it over. The bottom of the salt them becomes the top of the pepper, and you have no overlapping (though this might not work because as you shake the salt it will slowly work its way to the bottom to stack with the pepper (I think).

That's exactly my solution, Diemo. Nice job.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

dotancohen

Postby dotancohen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:28 pm UTC

You could have also spun the packet. Then all the salt and all the pepper would have been pushed into opposite corners, no no overlap when folded.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:36 am UTC

dotancohen wrote:You could have also spun the packet. Then all the salt and all the pepper would have been pushed into opposite corners, no no overlap when folded.
No, they overlap on the outside edge in that case.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Return to “Logic Puzzles”