Yet another Yes/No question puzzle

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Ansain

Yet another Yes/No question puzzle

Postby Ansain » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:14 am UTC

I like these kinds of puzzles and I had heard this one a long time ago and wanted to share. you should all know the rules to these by now. ask yes or no questions and they will be answered. there are many possible solutions but try to work towards the one unique solution.

"When Pete got home from work one day he found jack and jill lying dead on the floor. Around them there were bits of broken glass." your goal is to figure out how they died.

I shall try to be on as often as I can, but please help me out answering the questions if you have heard this one before or know the answer. enjoy.
Why put off till today what you could just as easily get done tomorrow?

I can mathematically prove that 1 equals 0!.

Parts a-x in my plan weren't that important anyways.

yannick_LM

Postby yannick_LM » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:38 am UTC

I'm on it !

(Spent 2 hours trying to solve this with a couple of friends, it was very fun=

Note : Am I allowed to answer "not relevant" ?
(this can help, sometimes)

jfarquhar

Postby jfarquhar » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:19 am UTC

Ooh ooh! I know this one! I won't say yet, but I am looking forward to the questions :P

Can someone also explain to me how to create those answer fields that cannot be seen until it is highlighted?

Mouffles

Postby Mouffles » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:51 am UTC

This is a very well known puzzle - in fact it was answered in a Forum Games thread only yesterday. But if anyone hasn't heard it, I will help answer questions.

@jfarquhar: use the 'quote' button and change the text colour to white.
In the spirit of taking things too far - the 5x5x5x5x5 Rubik's Cube.

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:44 pm UTC

forum games eh? sorry to have reposted it here then. well if anyone hasnt got it yet then feel free to guess here, there shouldnt be any lack of people who can answer

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:25 pm UTC

I think they probably died the same way Fred and Wilma died.

That is, they were murdered (with a bullet made of meat, or perhaps an icesickle) and then frozen into a large block of ice. The serial killer (as he has now apparently killed two couples) has a trademark, which is setting a fishbowl on the head of one of his victims. In this case, I believe it was probably Jill. He then put the block of ice in the middle of the couple's living room floor. When the ice had melted to a certain point, the fishbowl slipped and fell, breaking on impact. Then the ice continued to melt, eventually resultig in the two laying dead on the floor and the water stain around them. (Which I'm assuming would have been another piece of evidence as soon as someone asked the right question.)

How'd I do?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:05 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I think they probably died the same way Fred and Wilma died.

That is, they were murdered (with a bullet made of meat, or perhaps an icesickle) and then frozen into a large block of ice. The serial killer (as he has now apparently killed two couples) has a trademark, which is setting a fishbowl on the head of one of his victims. In this case, I believe it was probably Jill. He then put the block of ice in the middle of the couple's living room floor. When the ice had melted to a certain point, the fishbowl slipped and fell, breaking on impact. Then the ice continued to melt, eventually resultig in the two laying dead on the floor and the water stain around them. (Which I'm assuming would have been another piece of evidence as soon as someone asked the right question.)

How'd I do?
well I guess this thread is over since you just spoiled it for everybody :(

Xias

Postby Xias » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:41 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I think they probably died the same way Fred and Wilma died.

How'd I do?

But what relationship does Pete have to all of them?

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:54 am UTC

Pete is Jack and Jill's son. The cereal killer doubtless enjoys his frosting, but left the boy alive because of the joy of playing Trix on people. Now before you start Raisin Bran new objections, remember this: the killer with a bad Corn Flakes out. That is why this cereal killer Chex his Lucky Charms to make sure they always magically prevent corns. What does this have to do with Pete? Well, for Pete's sake, I've worked on this reply long enough; it's time for me to Post.
LOWA

Xias

Postby Xias » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:11 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:Pete is Jack and Jill's son. The cereal killer doubtless enjoys his frosting, but left the boy alive because of the joy of playing Trix on people. Now before you start Raisin Bran new objections, remember this: the killer with a bad Corn Flakes out. That is why this cereal killer Chex his Lucky Charms to make sure they always magically prevent corns. What does this have to do with Pete? Well, for Pete's sake, I've worked on this reply long enough; it's time for me to Post.

... Wow, Nimz, that's probably the coolest post I've seen on here yet. It's nice to meet you.

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:08 pm UTC

damn those cereal killers, but you gotta admit they'reee greeaaat!!

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:12 pm UTC

Ansain wrote:damn those cereal killers, but you gotta admit they'reee greeaaat!!

On cereal slogans, I think my favourite was the shreddies 'locked up till lunch' one, with the monster... but that's gone now.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

user#471729

Postby user#471729 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:44 am UTC

I think i know this one.

Pete is a rich man and lives in a mansion. Naturally, he owns valuable property and has it guarded by private security. Pete also has two (or more) pet fish. On patrol, one of the security gaurds inadvertantly knocks the fish bowl/tank in such a way that it falls and breaks. The fish die, two of which were named Jack and Jill. Is that right?

Return to “Logic Puzzles”