Computer Upgrade

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Eomund

Computer Upgrade

Postby Eomund » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:00 am UTC

A few years ago, with help from people on this board, I built a gaming computer for myself. I am now looking to make some upgrades to it. My first priority is another SSD. Right now I have a 240 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD. The SSD does not have enough room for all the games I want on it. (I move them over to the HDD when I am not playing them). My plan is to get another 240 GB SSD and use it just for the games. (Or maybe 500GB if I get a good deal). I currently have a Samsung 840 and it has worked fine but I am also willing to go with a different brand. For this I'll need to get another SATA cable and another 3.5" to 2.5" converter tray.

My second idea is to upgrade the ram. I currently have 8GB (2x4) but I am thinking that it might be time to go up to 16. I deliberately only used 2 of my 4 memory slots so that I could upgrade in the future. I have heard that although technically not required it is best to match the existing ram as closely as possible. So I will probably just get the same as before.

As for CPU and Graphics card, I currently have a Core i5-3750K and an AMD Raedeon 7970. Although these are outpaced by current devices, they should be able to handle modern games just fine. Though perhaps not on the highest settings. These would be more expensive to upgrade so I'll probably hold off for a couple more years.

Although I sort of think i know what I want, any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Re: Computer Upgrade

Postby Weeks » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:18 am UTC

I've had a Samsung Evo 850 SSD (500 GB) for about a year or so and it's been pretty awesome. I put all my games on it.

Do you know what games you'll be playing that you might feel the need to upgrade for?
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking
rath358 wrote:I have been replaced D:

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:53 pm UTC

Its hard to beat the Mushkin Reactor for price / performance : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6820226596

The Samsung 850 Evo is a TLC drive... probably the best TLC drive but still not a technology I trust.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Eomund

Postby Eomund » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:27 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:I've had a Samsung Evo 850 SSD (500 GB) for about a year or so and it's been pretty awesome. I put all my games on it.

Do you know what games you'll be playing that you might feel the need to upgrade for?

I'll probably be getting stuff like the Witcher 3, Fallout 4, XCOM 2 and maybe GTA V.

Edit: After doing a bunch of research, I don't think I'm going to get the ram. I do not need it right now and later, when I get a new motherboard, I may want to go up to DDR4.

Edit2: So I went ahead and got this as it is what I want and was on sale for 34% off!

psykx

Postby psykx » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:24 pm UTC

Whats your cooling like? Are you overclocking much?
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

Return to “Hardware”