Smartwatch without a smartphone?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Tub

Smartwatch without a smartphone?

Postby Tub » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:35 pm UTC

Hello,

In 2006 I bought a casio watch. Today, I dropped it. Now it's dead.

Looking at casio's innovative product lineup, I could just.. buy the same model again.

But maybe I should try to be a bit more modern? I really just need a quick 5 minute timer (I like tea), the current date and time, and an occasional stop watch. But having my calendar synchronized would be useful.

Problem is, Wear OS et al like to sync with a smartphone app, and I don't have a smartphone. I need something that's able to sync either with a linux app, or maybe autonomously via network using exotic protocols like CalDAV, or maybe just an .ical download because who needs two-way sync with a keyboard-less device?

An internet search suggests asteroidOS, which has a python-based linux client, but from a quick browse through that client's source code, it doesn't seem that it's doing any calendar-syncing at all.

Anyone here with experience?

Tub

Re: Smartwatch without a smartphone?

Postby Tub » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:58 am UTC

Despite the lack of responses, I can't leave the thread hanging like this.

After realizing that the battery lifetimes between a smart watch and my old casio differ by three orders of magnitude, I just ordered a casio again. If I have to recharge the watch every couple of days, then the maintenance outweighs the added convenience.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Re: Smartwatch without a smartphone?

Postby mosc » Mon May 20, 2019 6:44 pm UTC

Smart watches are phone notification screens on your arm. Everything else they do reluctantly. If you don't need phone notifications on your arm, you should not be looking at a smartwatch of any kind in any way.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Return to “Hardware”