keyboard emulation from game port

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

thanksbastards

keyboard emulation from game port

Postby thanksbastards » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

I have a game controller that I have not used in a million years and want to make it usefull again. It plugs in through the game port, that analog port on the sound card. I want to use it to control some simple software that expect keypresses, is there a piece of software out ther that does this? I want to use it on a windows XP machine, although a linux solution would also get used, just on a different machine I guess.

googleing "game port keyboard" turns up a few too many results related to keyboards and such. I could PROBABLY do this with an arduino, but if I require new hardware, I would just buy a USB controller

sparkyb

Re: keyboard emulation from game port

Postby sparkyb » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

On my laptop I use a piece of software called AutoHotkey that allows you to write custom keyboard macros. I use to turn my laptop's browser forward button into a sort of function key so that when I press browser back plus up/down/left/right I get pageup/pagedown/home/end. However, AutoHotkey also has support for responding to joystick buttons, so you could set it to send whatever keyboard key presses you want when you press the buttons on your game pad. It is pretty configurable through its own scripting language. There probably some other programs out there that could do a similar thing maybe more simply, but AutoHotkey is free and works well and is powerful if you need it.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:12 am UTC

Its been a few decades since I've even seen a gameport. Nonetheless, if you are going with the Arduino route, this will inevitably be useful to you: http://cs.smith.edu/~thiebaut/ArtOfAsse ... H24-1.html

And this: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_keyboard.html
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

thanksbastards

Postby thanksbastards » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

thanks I will give all that a shot. To be honest I have only ever used a game port a few times, but every computer and soudncard I have lying around has said port, I don't know why ppl don't play with it more. would make a decent o-scope input!

Return to “Hardware”