TV monitor/Over the air question

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Whitekiboko

TV monitor/Over the air question

Postby Whitekiboko » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:24 am UTC

I'm no hardware whiz, but I'm not a complete idiot. I'd say my knowledge is neutrally buoyant. Anyway, I'm getting a new desktop, but over the holidays I won a raffle for a cheap 32" 1080p led tv. I don't have cable. While I think it's overkill, I was entertaining the idea of swapping the tv out for my old 22" lcd. The table with my desktop has the best reception in the house, so it got me wondering about using the tv as the antenna to watch/record over the air broadcasts (if I want to just watch tv, I could hit the source button or turn on the other tv in the room on).

Is this feasible for a relatively small amount of cash? The tv does have an usb port.

Neil_Boekend

Re: TV monitor/Over the air question

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:55 am UTC

Correct me if I misunderstand

You want to use the TV as a tuner and view the image on your 22 inch TFT?
- Probably won't work, most TV's don't have a video out. Can't say I have ever seen one on a TV. There are external TV tuners that can do this though. You could place the antenna for the tuner on your desk and run the coax cable to your tuner and then to the 22" TFT. Alternatively, most DVD and harddisk recorders have a tuner included and can send the signal over HDMI/DVI. Some external tuners can do VGA if that's the only thing your TV takes.
Please note that HDMI/DVI are so similar that a convertor only costs a few bucks. Main difference is that DVI doesn't have audio nor fancy encryption features for copyright protection. HDMI has both.

If you actually want to use the 32" tv as a TV but realize the signal isn't strong enough where you want the TV to be actually viewable you can simply extend the antenna with an F extension cord. Then you can place the antenna where you want. Max distance is a few dozen meters (50-100 feet), longer with good cable or strong signal.

Is there still analog TV where you live or have you already switched to digital TV? If it's only digital the tuner in the TV may not be able to decode the signal. If you chose an external tuner this will also be important as not all can decode DVB-T.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:02 pm UTC

Sorry if i was unclear, had a few beers... No, the 32" tv to replace the 22 inch monitor. The question was whether it was possible to use the tv as the antenna and if the hdmi or usb ports on the tv could help make this happen.

speising

Postby speising » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:16 pm UTC

the antenna is a separate piece of equipment you plug in the back of the tv. i assume you mean you want to record on the tv. some sets are able to record to a usb harddisk, whether yours can do that, only its manual can tell you (or somebody here if you tell us the model). if the manual doesn't say it, it's improbable that you could hack it.

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:15 pm UTC

Again I apologize, wasn't clear that time. The tv, with only the power cable plugged in, receives channels, hence it has some manner of internal antenna. I had wondered whether it was possible to export this as opposed to a tv card with some manner of antenna.

I am however a moron for not looking at the manual. Seems like no dice.

I only asked since people seem to do some crazy stuff cobbling things together. Thanks anyway.

Return to “Hardware”