Recycling material sourcing

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Tyndmyr

Recycling material sourcing

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:15 pm UTC

Alright, there may already be a guide out there, but if so, I haven't found exactly the right thing. Everything seems to be guides on what to stick in bags to bring to a recycling center, not from the perspective of someone doing backyard recycling.

Basically, I'm looking for ready sources of specific plastics in consumer products. Things that pop up all the time, and ideally, are a conveniently small size to slag without scaling up machinery stupid big. In particular, LDPE(#4 recycle code), though I *suppose* I could do ABS and maaybe HDPE. Still, LDPE is most useful for me right now. Looking for stuff that's convenient to repurpose, too. Sure, garbage bags would work, but...I need to put trash in those, and don't have them afterward, sooo. Coloring can be whatever, but non-plastic blends I'd rather avoid. Ideas?

KnightExemplar

Re: Recycling material sourcing

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:47 am UTC

Recycling centers sell pellets to distributors.

Those distributors then sell it to you.

Ebay is a common source of various plastic pellets. Here's the first set I found on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LDPE-Low-densit ... 2a55d58601
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:01 pm UTC

Well, yeah, I bought pellets for initial testing...but ideally, I'd like to cut out most of that cycle. For instance, for aluminum cans, I hand them to a buddy who slags them in his smelter. Bam, raw material for sand casting, and we don't need to bother with buying metal, and less load on the recycling system is probably a net win.

Aluminum is easy, though, plastics are more complicated. The melting and pelletizing isn't that hard if you're not overly fussy about pellet sizes(and my molder isn't), and your plastic is all of roughly similar composition. I figure there's got to be stuff around that I'm just not thinking of that could be directly re-used instead of tossed into bins.

roflwaffle

Postby roflwaffle » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:36 pm UTC

Do you have any farms nearby? Depending on their operations, they might have a substantial amount of LDPE (I'm thinking for greenhouse covers and the like) you could buy off of them from not too much once it's reached the end of it's life. Any business that unpacks a lot of small components. There's probably a bunch I'm missing. Maybe you could sit down with a phone book/business directory of some sort and look for companies that could use a lot of LDPE in their operations.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:58 pm UTC

Not a ton, being kind of urban, but I know of a couple of greenhouses. Definitely an option. Unpacking a ton of components would perhaps be even better. Plastic from those sources are likely to be quite clean, time to do some digging!

Return to “Hardware”