Need a good laptop/tablet

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

jackmcbarn

Need a good laptop/tablet

Postby jackmcbarn » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:34 pm UTC

I'm looking for a device that functions both as a laptop and a tablet. Here's what I'm looking for:
Stuff that makes it like a laptop:
  • x86 or amd64 (not ARM)
  • Runs a desktop OS (Windows/Linux), not Android
  • Possible to install arbitrary distributions of Linux on it without doing anything ridiculous to it
  • Has a keyboard that includes keys like the menu key (I don't care if it's sold separately, as long as it exists)
Stuff that makes it like a tablet:
  • Has a touchscreen
  • Can use the device as a tablet without having to take the keyboard off, so it should fold all the way back around or something I guess, and I should be able to hold the device naturally as a tablet without accidentally triggering keys on the keyboard
Can someone recommend me a device that would meet these requirements?

KnightExemplar

Re: Need a good laptop/tablet

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:12 pm UTC

Surface Pro can get Ubuntu installed onto it.

Is there anything wrong with that?
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

jackmcbarn

Postby jackmcbarn » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:25 pm UTC

The Surface Pro 3 looks perfect except for the price. I'm not too keen on spending $800 for the tablet and another $130 for the keyboard, especially since that's for the lowest-tier version of it, and it's from 2014. (It doesn't look like they sell anything older than the 3.) Is there anything kind of like that, but cheaper?

Obby

Postby Obby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:03 pm UTC

jackmcbarn wrote:The Surface Pro 3 looks perfect except for the price. I'm not too keen on spending $800 for the tablet and another $130 for the keyboard, especially since that's for the lowest-tier version of it, and it's from 2014. (It doesn't look like they sell anything older than the 3.) Is there anything kind of like that, but cheaper?

Not trying to be a dick, but not really, not in my experience. You can find a decent touch-screen laptop that doesn't detach from the keyboard for around $600, full desktop-version OS and all. Also at that price point are devices that detach from their keyboard, but they are usually going to be ARM devices and/or run mobile versions of operating systems. If you want to keep all your checkboxes checked for what you want out of the device, you're going to be paying a good amount for it. Either you need to be prepared to pay that much, or be prepared to sacrifice some of what you want out of the device in order to hit a price point you're happy with.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

roflwaffle

Postby roflwaffle » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:33 pm UTC

Easy *nix installs are the hardest part, but I imagine some searching would help with specific models. HP has a ton of "convertibles" that aren't too expensive (http://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16834264499).

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:40 pm UTC

Surface Pro 3's not $800 it's $560:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface ... 00KHQWPZA/
and if you don't want to pay for the keyboard (which you can get for $60 here) you can use any bluetooth keyboard or use the USB port for any corded/cordless keyboard you like.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Return to “Hardware”