Remote controller for itunes

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

speising

Remote controller for itunes

Postby speising » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:30 pm UTC

I'd like to purchase (as a gift) a remote to control itunes on a win notebook for my dancing instructor.
Play/pause/ff/rew would probably suffice.
She moves around the room a lot, so a radio based device would probably be best. Technical knowledge is rather rudimentary.

I know there are mobile apps for that, but i think a hardware device would be more comfortable.(Also, she'd need to set up a hotspot)
I found presentation devices on the net, but i'm not sure if they would be useable for this, they seem to be geared towards powerpoint etc. I don't know how configurable they are.
Does anybody have experience with this, or recommendations?

KnightExemplar

Re: Remote controller for itunes

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:34 pm UTC

My understanding is that some motherboards have "CIR" (consumer IR) remotes available for them. There are also USB-sticks that can take infrared signals to control a computer.

There are also Wifi and Bluetooth. As far as reliability goes, I've had the most reliable connection with Infrared (although its kind of difficult to set up). Bluetooth is a more turnkey solution, but the 2.4GHz spectrum can be very unreliable. I don't think its a good idea to rely on Bluetooth for more than a couple of feet (~5 feet).

WiFi apps from a cellphone seem to have a very good connection, but I guess it depends on the protocol.

---------

CIR would probably be the best if you can find a good software solution to control the whole thing. Something along the lines of this: https://www.amazon.com/Control-Receiver ... remote+usb

But you're going to have to do research and find something that works on modern computers and iTunes. Infrared is the most reliable, as long as the remote is pointed at the sensor, it works marvelously.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

speising

Postby speising » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:45 pm UTC

A rc like that is a bit overkill, though. Ideally, it should fit in a pocket and have only a few easily discernable keys.
IR (line of sight) is possible, I guess.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:36 pm UTC

speising wrote:I don't know how configurable they are.
Does anybody have experience with this, or recommendations?

The cheap(est) pointing devices I've used emulate the arrow keys and/or page-up and page-down (and F5 for starting a presentation). So those are useable if you can map those keys to actions in itunes.

If you can find one with player symbols on the buttons, they probably emulate media keys and should work out-of-the-box with itunes.

Return to “Hardware”