Building my first rig

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Building my first rig

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:42 am UTC

So...

Long story short, I built my computer. But, I'm having issues with it.

POWER SUPPLY

A friend provided me with a power supply, Corsair cx750m or something like that, semi-modular. But it has the tiny flaw of being busted in that it overheats and shuts down, but not before filling my room with the stench of toxic burning plastic. Online, apparently other people have the same problem. So obviously, the computer isn't ready to go. Ordered a new SeaSonic PSU tonight (last night?), modular but only about 600 watts. I assume that since PC parts picker states that my wattage is a bit under 400, this won't be a problem, even if I upgrade in a couple years.

My case has a dust filter underneath the slot for the PSU, PSU located on bottom. Do I install with the intake fan facing this slot as it appears to be designed to do? Online I'm getting different answers, with some insisting on having the intake fan internal to suck out the hot air from the rest of the rig, lowering pressure a bit so colder air can get in, but obviously, it's designed for the other way.

RAM

I bought 16 (2x8) GB of Corsair DDR4 3200 ram, but the BIOS states I only get 2666. Manually setting to 3200 prevents booting up. So what is the reason for this? Do I need to update the BIOS to run it? It looks like the BIOS was updated in June. First thing I did when I turned it on was windows update for all the drivers. Well, that and downloading opera and adblock origin and AVG.

Derek

Re: Building my first rig

Postby Derek » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:43 am UTC

This video suggests that the PSU orientation doesn't make much of a difference, but it's slightly better pointing down unless you have a GPU with external exhaust.

Return to “Hardware”