Anyone have a reason for why? (mobo problem..)

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Anyone have a reason for why? (mobo problem..)

Postby Earlz » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

Ok, I'd just like to say this problem is fixed, but I want to know why the crap it happened in the first place...

Ok, This was at my job over the summer, and it still drives me crazy as to why... We were working on a computer, and got it nearly fixed, but then the next day it wouldn't turn on. Fans would startup and disks would spinup and such, but no video, no BIOS beeps, no LED activity...

So, we tried everything, new RAM, new video card, new PSU....nothing would get it to show video...

After hours of trying to get it to work, the person working on it had given up saying a bad mobo...

I usually don't like for things to just be assumed, so I took abotu 30 minutes to try to get it to work...(mostly out of boredom and enjoying problem solving..) so, I tried removing CMOS battery...changing a jumper to "clear CMOS" and then changing it back....nothign was working...

then, just out of curiosity, I looked at the back of the PSU, the voltage switch was set to 120v(the correct value, we are in the US) so I just tried flipping it to 240v randomly... then, I flipped it back to 120v and it turned on, video worked, and we had no problems with it....it was the weirdest thing ever...

anyone have any idea why the crap this happened?
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

pxc

Postby pxc » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm UTC

Sounds like some kind of a motherboard power-management issue. Probably either a bad BIOS (some kind of corruption issue?) or a problem with the capacitors.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Re: Anyone have a reason for why? (mobo problem..)

Postby hendusoone » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:38 am UTC

I have no idea why that fixed it, but I'm having a very similar problem with a motherboard right now. I've given the motherboard up for dead, but still keep it around because I don't have anything else to attach the rest of the hardware to.

Sometime this week I'll try your trick and see if that changes anything.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

taptap
I laughed so hard i fell out of my concubine

Postby taptap » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:08 am UTC

Magic/More Magic!

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:31 am UTC

I have seen switches that were touchy enough that slightly jiggling them would make them switch. If it was set at 120 but connected to 240, switching back and forth might be enough to get the connections back to where they're supposed to be. I suppose that could explain why.
LOWA

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:37 am UTC

Also, in some it resets breakers, but that doesn't seem to be your issue as you had it trying to power the system.

Return to “Hardware”