PCI vs PCIe some help please?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Schmendreck

PCI vs PCIe some help please?

Postby Schmendreck » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:51 am UTC

Okay, I'm looking for a new graphics card for my computer and as you might have guessed from the title I'm having some trouble identifying whether ive got PCI or PCIe. Does any one know of a program that will tell me which one I have definitively. Because both look pretty much the same to me.
A critic is a person who creates nothing of their own and therefore feels entitled to judge others.
-Robert A. Heinlein

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Re: PCI vs PCIe some help please?

Postby b.i.o » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:37 am UTC

When was your computer made? Is it OEM (and if so, what is the model) or custom made? Do you know what motherboard is inside?

Axman

Postby Axman » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:37 am UTC

PCI slots are 8.5cm long and PCI-Express x16 slots are about 11 (depending on the latching mechanism), and the connectors on the cards are just under each, respectively. PCI slots are taller (higher up off the motherboard) and have larger pins. PCI cards' connectors start (quick measurements here) 37mm from the back of the motherboard and PCI-Express slots start 32mm from the edge. PCI slots tend to be square down the sides, where PCI-Express slots usually have flanges on the bottom edge.

Somewhere next to each slot, they should be labeled, too, even if it's hard to see/read.

What card are you replacing? (Again) what make/model is the computer?

Larson

Postby Larson » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

If you have a chance to take a look at your motherboard, here is an image that will show you the difference between PCI and PCIe.

The slot on the top of the image is a 16x PCI-Express slot. The tiny ones in the middle are PCI-Express 1x slots. The wider but shorter ones at the very bottom of the image are regular PCI slots. The color of the slots does not matter.

As seen:
-PCI-Express 16x
-PCI-Express 1x
-PCI-Express 1x
-PCI
-PCI
-PCI
pci_express.jpg
pci_express.jpg (24.62 KiB) Viewed 7642 times

If you need a purely software solution, grab a program called CPU-Z. It will give you the manufacturer and model number of your motherboard, at which point you can google it or visit the manufacturer's website to find out what slots you have available. It will also give you the interface of your current graphics card. CPU-Z can be found here: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Schmendreck

Postby Schmendreck » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:24 am UTC

Hey thanks for all the help, especially larson.

But I have just one more question.

So I've got this board.

I can see that there are 3 PCI slots but whats the brown slot right next to them?
A critic is a person who creates nothing of their own and therefore feels entitled to judge others.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Larson

Postby Larson » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:34 am UTC

Schmendreck wrote:Whats the brown slot right next to them?

That's an AGP slot.

Karrion

Postby Karrion » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:34 am UTC

Schmendreck wrote:I can see that there are 3 PCI slots but whats the brown slot right next to them?

AGP

Edit: dammit, beaten :-(

Schmendreck

Postby Schmendreck » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:46 am UTC

Yeah, just wanted to double check. Thanks a ton.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Hardware”