So, who wants to help me buy computer hardware, eh? eh?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Eschatokyrios

So, who wants to help me buy computer hardware, eh? eh?

Postby Eschatokyrios » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:05 am UTC

So I'm building a new system. It'll be a (very) budget gaming rig. I have a tentative core parts list, and I'd like to know if there's anything I could pick better. What I have so far is:

PSU: Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W SLI Ready-ATX12V V2.01 Power Supply

HD: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822136074

Motherboard: EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX

processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

memory: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

optical drive: this one, http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6827135156, I don't think I need to worry about optical drives much.

The total cost of this comes to just under $700, and that's just about my upper limit for price. I might be willing to go up to $750 if there's a real compelling reason for it, but that's my budget.

And a couple of general questions:

-cooling: the processor comes with a stock fan, I'll want to try my hand at overclocking later but I don't spend too much money towards that end at the moment . Given that, what exactly do I need to buy in the way of fans? 80mm vs. 120 mm?

-case: I was planning on hiking down to the local computer store and buying the cheapest ATX case that I'm willing to look at every day. Is there any reason why I need to be thinking about other things with the case?
კაცი ბჭობდა, ღმერთი იცინოდაო
k'atsi bch'obda, ghmerti itsinodao
"Man was discussing, God was laughing"
-Georgian proverb

davean
Site Ninja

Re: So, who wants to help me buy computer hardware, eh? eh?

Postby davean » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:51 am UTC

I don't see a GPU on that list.

As for cooling. Um, you need the right size to fit.

Cases: Some cases have higher build qualities then others. This isn't a major issue. Cheaper cases have worse cooling generally because their design isn't as good and they have sharp corners. If you aren't gonna be in there much, then you should be fine. Just watch out and don't cut yourself too much.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:57 am UTC

You definitely need a graphics card...and I don't really think you can cut back on anything else to get one. What kind of games are you planning on playing?

Also, I realize your budget is lower, but this: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/17/ ... st_system/ might prove useful

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:28 pm UTC

Bah, graphics card is http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6814150229, forgot to put that one in.

I'm not sure whether it's better to go with an 8600 or a high-end 7 series, I can't afford an 8800 unless it is spectacularly cheap, and I'm not sure that I'd want it then.
-Georgian proverb

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:54 am UTC

Eschatokyrios wrote:Bah, graphics card is http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6814150229, forgot to put that one in.

I'm not sure whether it's better to go with an 8600 or a high-end 7 series, I can't afford an 8800 unless it is spectacularly cheap, and I'm not sure that I'd want it then.

High end 7 series would be much better (7800 or 7950)--DX10 isn't going to do anything for you unless your video card actually has the power to run things at DX10, and an 8600 doesn't have that power.

Axman

Postby Axman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:29 am UTC

Try to get an 8600 GTX. A Core 2 processor with 2MB shared cache isn't going to help you with video encoding and, down the road, might be a gaming bottleneck. If you're going to get a generic power supply, you might as well get one with a case, and save money on both.

You won't find a nice case for under $100 at a brick and mortar.

Since you're working on a budget and not particularly interested in overclocking, I'd go AMD. I'd go with a completely different build, actually.

$85 motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128052
$120 processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103759
$60 RAM: any 2x1GB kit, it doesn't matter
$85 case w/ decent PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129031
$120 drives: I'd go with a Samsung SATA optical drive and a bigger HDD, but still, not terrible
total before video card(s):
$470

Leaving you with $230 to play with for a video card, which can get you...

4/5ths of an 8800 GT. If you find one.

Alternatively, you can stick two 2600XTs in there, for budget CrossFire action, for ~$260. (Get the GDDR4 XTs for CF. GDDR3 is fine for single cards.)

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:16 pm UTC

If you can spare $40 more get an 8800 GT from Newegg (they're supposed to come back into stock tomorrow). It's a very solid card that should last you a while.

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150252 is the one that has an in-stock ETA of tomorrow)

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:50 am UTC

Axman wrote:Try to get an 8600 GTX. A Core 2 processor with 2MB shared cache isn't going to help you with video encoding and, down the road, might be a gaming bottleneck. If you're going to get a generic power supply, you might as well get one with a case, and save money on both.

You won't find a nice case for under $100 at a brick and mortar.

Since you're working on a budget and not particularly interested in overclocking, I'd go AMD. I'd go with a completely different build, actually.

$85 motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128052
$120 processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103759
$60 RAM: any 2x1GB kit, it doesn't matter
$85 case w/ decent PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129031
$120 drives: I'd go with a Samsung SATA optical drive and a bigger HDD, but still, not terrible
total before video card(s):
$470

Leaving you with $230 to play with for a video card, which can get you...

4/5ths of an 8800 GT. If you find one.

Alternatively, you can stick two 2600XTs in there, for budget CrossFire action, for ~$260. (Get the GDDR4 XTs for CF. GDDR3 is fine for single cards.)

I'm not uninterested in overclocking, I just don't want to do anything with it at the moment. Actually, I would like to try it later on, so I'm inclined to buy parts that facilitate it if at all possible. In any case, the processor and motherboard you reccomend have reviews that say they're good for overclocking, so that's good. I can stretch my budget to afford an 8800GT, and that leaves me with about 65 bucks left to play with for case and PSU.

I'm going to keep hunting for a case/PSU, because I don't like the aesthetics of the one Axeman reccomended. But assuming I go with my original drives and RAM, use Axeman's motherboard and CPU, and the 8800 GT, is there anything else I need to worry about in that respect?
-Georgian proverb

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:12 am UTC

Eschatokyrios wrote:I'm not uninterested in overclocking, I just don't want to do anything with it at the moment. Actually, I would like to try it later on, so I'm inclined to buy parts that facilitate it if at all possible. In any case, the processor and motherboard you reccomend have reviews that say they're good for overclocking, so that's good. I can stretch my budget to afford an 8800GT, and that leaves me with about 65 bucks left to play with for case and PSU.

I'm going to keep hunting for a case/PSU, because I don't like the aesthetics of the one Axeman reccomended. But assuming I go with my original drives and RAM, use Axeman's motherboard and CPU, and the 8800 GT, is there anything else I need to worry about in that respect?

I have no idea how current AMD CPUs do for overclocking--but I'm sure it'll do fine for at least some moderate OC'ing. Modern CPU's are pretty good about it--I wouldn't worry. That graphics card will really help with games much more than a stronger CPU would anyway.

Roberpb0270

Postby Roberpb0270 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:21 am UTC

I got my Athlon X2 4500+ Oc'd 300 Mhz fairly easily. They aren't bad, just not as good as the core 2s

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

Yeah, the Core 2's are very very good at it--the E6600 I have in my laptop will OC at the click of a button up 300MHz easily. I've heard of them going up 1000MHz on air cooling in a desktop.

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:18 am UTC

A power supply question.

I have a 400 W power supply in my current computer, which is more than I need. It's worked without any troubles for two years now, and my only problem with it is that the fan is too loud. Could I get away with using that PSU in the new system, and buying a cheaper, quieter lower-wattage one for the old one? Or do I need something bigger than 400 W for the stuff I'm running?
-Georgian proverb

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:40 am UTC

I'm really not sure...400W might be pushing it. Is it a brand name PSU or a generic one?

mattmacf

Postby mattmacf » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:09 am UTC

One thing I noticed is that you're paying a whole bunch for a really whizbang motherboard. I'm not sure what features you're looking for in a mobo, but SLI seems to be pretty much out of the question for your price range. Unless you're running two top of the line cards together, you'll get better performance by just buying a single better card (one 8 series should outperform a pair of 7 series cards at a fraction of the cost). I imagine you could save at least $60-80 if you reconsider your motherboard.

The RAM, PSU, hard drive, and DVD drive all look good to me. I believe, however, that the best $/GB ratio is around the $100/500GB point (you can get a 50% memory increase at a 25% cost increase).

The one last thing you might want to consider is how badly you need the processor you picked. Depending on the games you play, the bottleneck may not be in the CPU and considering perhaps one of the Athlon X2's. The rig I have now is running on an X2 3600+ ($64 in June) that can be had for a fraction of the closest Intel counterpart. The motherboards for this socket tend to be cheaper as well. Works great for me (overclocks like a champ) and even with a 7600GT ($120 in March) I can play modern games at reasonable quality settings with acceptable framerates. Obviously YMMV but if you don't need to push that detail slider to 11, you can easily save a few bucks to roll into your next upgrade.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:10 pm UTC

The difference between a 3600+ and a 5200+ is a pretty big performance jump, and everything is within his price range.

Also, that mobo has a good reputation for overclocking, which he does want to do.

Axman

Postby Axman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:02 pm UTC

I haven't been able to break 500W, even running CrossFire HD 2900 XTs with an AMD 6000+. I think I hit a peak load of about 460W. Breaking 500W without a massive RAID, multiple video cards, phase-change cooling, and lots and lots of overclocking isn't possible. Even a high-end gaming machine with a single 8800 GTX only consumes ~300W.

A 400W PSU, assuming that it has all the right connections, is probably enough for a budget machine. It's plenty for any of the above hardware. (A 2600 XT peaks under 40W. 8600 GTs draw less than 55W.)

The reason why you want the extra power capacity is that PSUs operate at peak efficiency between 60-80% load. Above and below that, you're wasting power. But that's a luxury, and saving money on the PSU will outweigh whatever you pay at the meter. So with my 460W gaming behemoth, having a megawatt PSU (one that hits its peak efficiency at 30%) is understandable.

Not reasonable, but hey, I get this shit for (sorta) free.

edit: I totally mean kilowatt. Ricoculowatt, it what it is.
Last edited by Axman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:46 pm UTC

Axman wrote:I haven't been able to break 500W, even running CrossFire HD 2900 XTs with an AMD 6000+. I think I hit a peak load of about 460W. Breaking 500W without a massive RAID, multiple video cards, phase-change cooling, and lots and lots of overclocking isn't possible. Even a high-end gaming machine with a single 8800 GTX only consumes ~300W.

A 400W PSU, assuming that it has all the right connections, is probably enough for a budget machine. It's plenty for any of the above hardware. (A 2600 XT peaks under 40W. 8600 GTs draw less than 55W.)

The reason why you want the extra power capacity is that PSUs operate at peak efficiency between 60-80% load. Above and below that, you're wasting power. But that's a luxury, and saving money on the PSU will outweigh whatever you pay at the meter. So with my 460W gaming behemoth, having a megawatt PSU (one that hits its peak efficiency at 30%) is understandable.

Not reasonable, but hey, I get this shit for (sorta) free.

You mean "kilowatt", I assume. That or your computer is like, God, or something. :)

Anyway, that's good to know about the PSU. Maybe I'll upgrade if and when I try serious overclocking, but I'll just use my current one in the new system for the time being. So, to replace that in my old system, what low-power PSUs have a reputation for being extremely quiet and cheap?
-Georgian proverb

Axman

Postby Axman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

Quiet and cheap don't usually go together. But I like be quiet!, Seasonic, and the Seasonic re-brands, specifically Corsair.

Is this cheap enough: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151035 ?

The best PSU reviewer has got to be http://www.jonnyguru.com/

Return to “Hardware”