Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Benny the Bear
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:44 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby Benny the Bear » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:32 am UTC

Yay or nay?

The 640mb variation has almost null noticeable performance gains, apparently.

User avatar
heXiuM
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 pm UTC
Location: -lost-

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby heXiuM » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:51 pm UTC

Look up the 8800GT! It's a much sweeter deal than the GTS.
bad, bad sig. No donut for you.

User avatar
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number
Posts: 2519
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby b.i.o » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:20 pm UTC

Yeah, an 8800 GT 512mb is a much nicer card.

User avatar
Axman
Posts: 2124
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:51 pm UTC
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby Axman » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:30 pm UTC

Unless you're SLI-bound, then even the 320 goes faster; it has much more memory bandwidth.

But one GT is still, really, really good.

User avatar
heXiuM
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 pm UTC
Location: -lost-

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby heXiuM » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

@Benny: Check this link: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140&p=7
Basically, 8800GT > 8800GTS.
bad, bad sig. No donut for you.

User avatar
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist
Posts: 3446
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:07 am UTC

last time I checked, the 640MB had quite significant performance gains, particularly at high res and texture quality.

Unless you're SLI-bound, then even the 320 goes faster; it has much more memory bandwidth.

But one GT is still, really, really good.


Not sure what you mean, but the 640MB and the 512MB GT both beat the 320 in every benchmark I've seen... the GT beats the 640 in just about all aswell
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:46 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:last time I checked, the 640MB had quite significant performance gains, particularly at high res and texture quality.
Unless you're SLI-bound, then even the 320 goes faster; it has much more memory bandwidth.

But one GT is still, really, really good.

Not sure what you mean, but the 640MB and the 512MB GT both beat the 320 in every benchmark I've seen... the GT beats the 640 in just about all aswell

I think he meant the 320 goes faster than the GTs in certain places because it has a higher memory bandwidth. And the 640MB GTS only beats the 320 at very high resolutions. But my opinion is go with the 512 GT.

EDIT: NINJAS, IN MY POST!?

User avatar
Axman
Posts: 2124
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:51 pm UTC
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby Axman » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:49 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Not sure what you mean, but the 640MB and the 512MB GT both beat the 320 in every benchmark I've seen... the GT beats the 640 in just about all aswell

Amnesiasoft wrote:I think he meant the 320 goes faster than the GTs in certain places because it has a higher memory bandwidth. And the 640MB GTS only beats the 320 at very high resolutions. But my opinion is go with the 512 GT.


Yeah, something like that. As a single card, the GT is very, very powerful. But the internal memory bandwidth of the card is such that, in SLI, it does poorly, to the point where two GTSs would be a better SLI investment than two GTs.

Although at lower-resolutions, a GT may actually outperform two GTSs...marginally.

This is, in a roundabout way, an endorsement of the GT. Just with the caveats listed.

Aussie Fast Bowler
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:57 pm UTC

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby Aussie Fast Bowler » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

Should i get 2 8800 GT 512's, or just get 1???

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:01 am UTC

Aussie Fast Bowler wrote:Should i get 2 8800 GT 512's, or just get 1???

Is your monitor an LCD? If so, what's the native resolution? There's no point in getting two for SLi if you're only using a 15" LCD at 1024x768. But my general rule is SLi sucks, don't use it :P

User avatar
Korandder
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:12 am UTC
Location: LoadingReadyRun Australian Astrophysical Observatory
Contact:

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby Korandder » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:23 am UTC

I currently running one GTS 8800 320 MB on a 19'' CRT at 1600x1200. Would there be much point to going SLI? I have the motherboard and the power supply for it. What if I was using a 24'' 1920x1200 LCD?
Image

User avatar
Axman
Posts: 2124
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:51 pm UTC
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby Axman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:49 am UTC

GTS/GTX -- SLI works great.

GT -- SLI is crippled. Avoid.


Once you decide to hit 1920x1200 at native resolution, multi-GPU becomes a must-have; either cut down on the pixels, blur and all, or dedicate your money two-fold--on the big monitor and on the two video cards with their respective trappings.

User avatar
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist
Posts: 3446
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:33 am UTC

I assume you mean how it has a 256 bit memory interface rather than 320 or 384? :S Still, most benchmarks I see show SLI working pretty well on the GT. Would you mind posting some links or something?
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

User avatar
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number
Posts: 2519
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby b.i.o » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:59 pm UTC

Yeah, benchmarks I've seen have had 2 SLI'd GTs working not much better than 1 at low resolutions but really shining at high resolution (as much as twice the framerate as a single one).

User avatar
Larson
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:26 am UTC
Location: The Nerd Cave

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby Larson » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:42 pm UTC

Axman wrote:Once you decide to hit 1920x1200 at native resolution, multi-GPU becomes a must-have; either cut down on the pixels, blur and all, or dedicate your money two-fold--on the big monitor and on the two video cards with their respective trappings.

Quote for truth. I just purchased a second used 7900GTO for a little over $100 to power the 1920x1200 native resolution on my 24in Acer.

band-aid
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:10 pm UTC

Re: Geforce 8800 GTS (320mb)

Postby band-aid » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:54 pm UTC

I'm about to rebuild and was thinking about getting two EVGA GT's. I've got a 24" gateway running at 1920X1200 so SLI is going to be a must. Should I go GTS's or GT's?


Return to “Hardware”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests