Anyone else irked by PC volume control with too large steps?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Gadren

Anyone else irked by PC volume control with too large steps?

Postby Gadren » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:55 am UTC

I've always been a person who listens to things quietly. For example, TV must be extremely quiet for me to feel comfortable watching it. And I have this laptop, but the volume controls never work quite the way I want them to. It's like there aren't enough quiet audio levels... it goes from "loud" to "still pretty loud" to "not quiet enough" to "mute." :evil: So I normally have all my volume controls set at 1 (both the Windows control and my WinAmp control), but I'd like to have more control.

Does this sort of thing impact anyone else, and does anyone know of ways to make my volume control be more analog, without buying headphones that have an analog knob?

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Re: Anyone else irked by PC volume control with too large steps?

Postby b.i.o » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:37 am UTC

You could try lowering all of the levels in the equalizer...no idea if that will help and I don't really think there's another way to do it.

eviljebus

Postby eviljebus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:39 am UTC

What volume control are you using exactly, because Windows 'Volume Control' has very small increments (IMO), I've never wanted more precision than what it offers.

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:08 am UTC

Well, it's just the regular volume control in Vista. I think the problem might be that my headphones automatically boost the signal, so even the lowest audible setting, while very quiet from the laptop's speakers, sounds pretty loud-ish on the headphones.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:05 am UTC

I have to agree that the setup is pretty bad. Headphones can easily be *way* louder than they need to be, my current pair is good volume wise with about 12% being a nice volume, but my old ones were loud at 6%

What they need is a decibel based system. 0 dB is 100%, with the keyboard hotkeys going +/- 3dB (apparently with sound adding 6 doubles volume, so adding about 40% would work nicely). Then I'd be listening at... -18, (12%)
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Axman

Postby Axman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:37 am UTC

Decibels are somewhat relative and vary by driver and air pressure...the difficulty of making a computer that knows how loud it is seems prohibitive.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:37 am UTC

gah, they use decibels in audio editing, so they can do it in volume control. See, in this setup, if it's at 0 dB, that basically means max. for each 6dB below 0 you half it. Thats how it works in adobe audition and stuff like that. The point of using decibels is that it's an exponential scale, which just makes heaps more sense.

Of course, its something few people would already know, but I dont really care.

Anyway, the point is *not* the "actual volume" in decibels, it's the volume relative to the maximum
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Axman

Postby Axman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:29 pm UTC

Gotcha.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:07 am UTC

<rant>
YES. I HATE when I'm trying to adjust the volume and I can only seem to jump between too loud and too quiet. I've been considering writing an app to take control of the volume keys instead of letting Windows do it so I can have it adjust in smaller increments. Also, my cheap ass-sound card seems to be really quiet, I have to turn the amplifier nearly all the way up to get a decent volume out of it.

It does seem to have to do with the volume itself too. When it's 2 AM and I want it to be really quiet, I have this problem, but when I'm blaring it at levels that could wake the dead, I hardly notice a difference if I don't press it a good few times. Hm. A partial solution is to keep the volume control app on my second monitor at all times so I can fine-tune it as needed.

It's also kind of annoying that everything has its own volume control. Winamp is at this, system master volume is at that, the stereo system is at something else. It's a pain to keep track of them all (Winamp likes to change it on me <_<), and I'd really rather just have all the volume adjustments be done at one stage instead of having to worry that at one stage, it's being software-amplified (eww) or reduced or something. And then I start a movie in VLC and have to remember to set the volume there too, or I'll do something and think "this doesn't seem as loud as last time" and I can't be sure every last volume control is actually set the same way as it was before.
</rant>Yes, ass-sound was intentional.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:20 pm UTC

By the way, Winamp is set by default to change it's volume if you use the scroll wheel on your mouse while it's selected and the mouse is pointing at it.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:04 pm UTC

Actually, mine is even more annoying. If I do that it skips to another song.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:53 pm UTC

I think that's an option you can change.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:34 am UTC

I looked and didn't see it. Any idea where it might be hiding?

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:00 pm UTC

No, sorry :(

Return to “Hardware”