Does my Toshiba notebook have a stereo line-level input?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

someguy

Does my Toshiba notebook have a stereo line-level input?

Postby someguy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

Hello everyone.

Here's the situation, I've been handed down one of these; I'd love to be able to digitize a few vinyl LPs with it, but there's only one audio input and it initially seems to be a monaural jack meant for a microphone.

HOWEVER, I recall having read that some newer audio interfaces have 'smart' inputs that can function as either microphone or line-level inputs (even outputs, in some cases) and I'm trying to figure out whether this is the case with this particular Toshiba unit.

I've searched Google a fair bit and found nothing conclusive; Toshiba's own documentation is useless (though it does refer to the jack as a 'Mic/Line Input'). I have access to both Windows XP and Xubuntu on that machine; I was wondering whether there might be any utilities/apps that would let me switch between the different input types, if this is at all an option with this particular audio chipset.

I've tried a few different drivers on the Windows installation and none of them seems to have provision for switching port types.

I'll appreciate any help, as I'm at the end of my wits by now—thanks in advance!
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

espire

Re: Does my Toshiba notebook have a stereo line-level input?

Postby espire » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

Yes, almost all laptop audio input jacks function as both microphone and line-in. I don't see why they wouldn't be stereo, either. Are you unable to test it yourself by running a line into it from any audio device?
DANGER! RAPTORS! IT'S SAFE HERE

someguy

Postby someguy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:03 am UTC

espire wrote:Yes, almost all laptop audio input jacks function as both microphone and line-in. I don't see why they wouldn't be stereo, either. Are you unable to test it yourself by running a line into it from any audio device?

I patched a stereo signal into it and could hear only one channel, and in fact the 'Microphone' slider on the mixer controlled the level, so quite clearly that's what it's acting as now—a microphone input.

Still not giving up, though :D.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

Worst case, you can pick up one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 5&name=USB
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Return to “Hardware”