No ink, can't scan

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Strilanc

No ink, can't scan

Postby Strilanc » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

I have an hp all-in-one printer 1310. Today I needed to scan some pages, so I tried to scan them using said all-in-one machine. I almost never print things, so I haven't replaced the ink cartridges in awhile. Apparently they're finally running empty, since the printer was blinking the red light by 'check ink'. Well, no problem, I don't need to print anything. So I put a page in the scanner and tell it to scan.

Nothing happens. The printer/scanner just sits there mocking my futile attempts to digitize paper. I try getting it to scan using hp imagezone, the windows scanning wizard, and the button on the hardware that says "scan". Still nothing happens.

At this point I'm getting a bit nervous, since I need these pages scanned _now_. I also realize what's probably happening: the machine won't scan because it's in an error state (low on ink). Cursing begins. Who the hell designed this thing? I don't have time to buy ink cartridges and it's a 15 minute walk to the nearest 'copy' place. The damn thing should work.

So I do the only quick option I have available: remove the ink cartridges and put them back in until the printer fails to notice they're low on ink. Three tries later the ink button stops blinking red.

Now I get to test my "no ink => no scan" hypothesis. (corollary: printer sucks)

I hit scan.

It starts happily scanning away.

**** you, HP.
Don't pay attention to this signature, it's contradictory.

Sparv

Re: No ink, can't scan

Postby Sparv » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

I got a problem which look like this, but not as annoying. My printer (a very low budget Epsn DX3850) can't print without ink cartridge.

But if I place empty cartridges, I can scan.
It was certainly an intern who handled the initializing sequence.
Shit happens

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:00 am UTC

Aren't HP printers great? Mine had a nasty habit of sucking in several sheets at a time. One time I failed to prevent this, and it proceeded to jam waaaay up in there somewhere. It couldn't be fed through, it couldn't be pulled back out (just ripped), and it uses some sort of rivets or something so it can't even be disassembled. :roll: One paper jam and the whole damn thing becomes useless. Brilliant.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Strilanc

Postby Strilanc » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Aren't HP printers great? Mine had a nasty habit of sucking in several sheets at a time. One time I failed to prevent this, and it proceeded to jam waaaay up in there somewhere. It couldn't be fed through, it couldn't be pulled back out (just ripped), and it uses some sort of rivets or something so it can't even be disassembled. :roll: One paper jam and the whole damn thing becomes useless. Brilliant.

Evil.

I like how they can remember a cancelled document through a reset. It's bad enough when you can't cancel it using software... :x
Don't pay attention to this signature, it's contradictory.

Pinky's Brain

Postby Pinky's Brain » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity ... except where it concerns cheap printers, because the people who make them are pure evil.

Also nice are the cheap color laser printers which use a dash of color while printing black and white and refuse to print if the color toner is gone.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Worse, the ones that only have colour, and make black (poorly) by mixing every colour. You can imagine how quickly the ink levels drop.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Zabaron

Postby Zabaron » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:11 am UTC

My friend's printer does the exact opposite of the OP. The scanner part is broken, so it won't let him print anything. :roll:

-Zabaron
I love deadlines. I love that wooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams

Hexadecimator

Postby Hexadecimator » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:30 am UTC

My HP has the brilliant feature of holding only 20 sheets of blank paper and sucking extra sheets in halfway through the page if it has less than 10.
Printing 3 copies of a 12 page double-sided document (not a double-sided printer) was utter hell. It's like at some point the designer thought, "What can I do to make someone's life as miserable as possible at 1am?"
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

Strilanc wrote:
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Aren't HP printers great? Mine had a nasty habit of sucking in several sheets at a time. One time I failed to prevent this, and it proceeded to jam waaaay up in there somewhere. It couldn't be fed through, it couldn't be pulled back out (just ripped), and it uses some sort of rivets or something so it can't even be disassembled. :roll: One paper jam and the whole damn thing becomes useless. Brilliant.

Evil.

I like how they can remember a cancelled document through a reset. It's bad enough when you can't cancel it using software... :x

Always remember that the printers themselves are loss-leaders, and all the money is made from selling ink. So making the hardware any good, or minimising the amount of ink used, are cons as far as the business model is concerned
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

enk

Postby enk » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

Spoffin wrote:Always remember that the printers themselves are loss-leaders, and all the money is made from selling ink. So making the hardware any good, or minimising the amount of ink used, are cons as far as the business model is concerned

Making the hardware good would mean selling fewer replacements, which would mean a smaller loss. But maybe making better quality would negate the negated loss?
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

zwhitchcox

Postby zwhitchcox » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:26 am UTC

I fucking hate HP too!!!!!! I can't scan a fucking document, and I'm going to get an F on a paper and lose extra credit because the stupid fucking engineers who can't design a printer than can scan when there's not ink cartridges!!! HOW FUCKING RETARDED ARE THESE ENGINEERS???? I WISH I HAD ONE HERE RIGHT NOW!!! No, HP, I'm not going to pay you 9.99 a minute to fix your machine, but I'll tell you this I will never buy one of your products again as long as I live. Also, I am going to do major research before I buy a scanner. I mean, I just didn't realize how much I was asking when I wanted a SCANNER that will actually SCAN!!! And it's not just one. I've tried four!!!!!!!!! I hate you HP!!!!

zwhitchcox

Postby zwhitchcox » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:29 am UTC

And no, it does not make sense to make them malfunction to where they have to buy replacements, because it drains society because we're all trying to find an explanation for how retarded a scanner can be instead of making great strides. Then it busies the HP people because they can't develop better technology, because they're too busy making printers and pissing everyone off at them. I am seriously thinking of getting an anti HP tattoo.

Unparallelogram

Postby Unparallelogram » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:18 am UTC

They were wonderful a decade ago, from my limited personal experience. Then it went downhill from there.

userxp

Postby userxp » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:23 pm UTC

My HP printer has been warning me that I need to replace the ink cartridges... for about a year, and it still prints perfectly.
Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to poor design and cheap products.

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Worse, the ones that only have colour, and make black (poorly) by mixing every colour. You can imagine how quickly the ink levels drop.

Most "modern" printers use black AND colour inks to make black.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:58 am UTC

I have an HP 1610x All-in-One printer that works just fine as a scanner without ink. Go figure.
Last edited by Omegaton on Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:19 am UTC

my HP has been working great for 4 years so far.

Mr. Freeman

Postby Mr. Freeman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:50 am UTC

userxp wrote:Most "modern" printers use black AND colour inks to make black.

What then, is the point of the black ink? What an amazingly poor design.

I have a samsung laser printer. (It's a CLP-315) I can tell when it prints black vs. color because black pages come out exactly 4 times faster than color pages because it has to run the drum 4 times per color page (CMYK). I've noticed that there are certain documents (usually scans) that look completely black and white that somehow use color. It's amazingly irritating to be sitting there and wondering why printing is taking so long, then realize that every page is using color toner instead of the black toner. Of course, I then have to unplug the printer (because the "cancel" button doesn't work because the driver is a pile of shit) and restart the job making sure to select "greyscale only".

I've been contemplating buying a business class laser printer because they're more durable than consumer grade printers, but the toner is about 2-3 times the cost of my current toner.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

My horror story isn't like that. I use canon printers and they work fine. My problem is that they're f-ing cheap and I end up using them like disposables. I literally just tossed one because it ran out of color ink and a new printer was cheaper than a new set. It's a sad day when you buy a new printer just for a new set of ink. The printer's free with ink purchase.

Least canon gives you full catridges. HP used to send me half empty ones with my printer ensuring future ink price rapage.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Return to “Hardware”