3x tiny CRTs what ever should I do.

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

olcaddy

3x tiny CRTs what ever should I do.

Postby olcaddy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:21 am UTC

So driving down the road I came across an old rear projection. Cool thing is Ive been looking for one for months solely for the screen (read: 50" Fresnel lens) I haven't been able to test this one out in the sun yet but a previous fragment (maybe 60% the size) could boil road tar and set most anything dark on fire. I also grabbed the 3 crt shooters and lenses. The lenses are pretty sweet and can figure something to do with those I'm sure. But what I would love is to throw them into a box with an audio Line in and blammo awesome RGB visualizations. I haven't found much in the way of details on this, anyone here gotten their hands dirty with rear projection TV crt's. I have a feeling that I'm missing some important electronics however. The wire from the suction cup of doom was cut and the upstream circuitry was not salvaged. So, any ideas??

Yes Ive done the fun discharging of the tube no result tho, I would rather there be a pop so that I know I did something.

Any Ideas for coolness?

Meltz

Re: 3x tiny CRTs what ever should I do.

Postby Meltz » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

I don't know if this would apply to what you have, but you might wanna check it out.
By the way, the guy (Mark Hoekstra) who this blog belongs to recently passed away, so I figured using some of his hacks in memory of him would be most appropriate :)

If you've already done too much damage, one tradition in my dorm is to gather some old crt monitors/tvs and go all out on them with a sledge hammer. This all, of course, happens on the Sunday before finals week. An excellent stress relief!

Return to “Hardware”