USB Flash Drive

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

dv297

USB Flash Drive

Postby dv297 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:02 pm UTC

For some reason, my flash drive won't recognize under any of my computers anymore. I've tried Google searching everything, but the most common result just brings up the HP Boot Drive Utility, which doesn't work on Vista and didn't recognize my flash drive on XP anyways. And I've heard the thing about XP naming your flash drive the same as your other drives, but my flash drive won't recognize in the Disk Management tool either.

Tested on Windows XP Professional, Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta.
Flash Drive - Lexar Jump Drive FireFly 4 GB

It actually previously worked on all of my computers, but now when I plug it in into any, it won't load a blue light or anything. A removable disk J: does appear in My Computer, but it shows a 0 byte drive with no ability to format. Device Manager shows no problem with any USB Controllers.

Is there any hope for this drive? It has all of my work on it, and my back ups are 2 weeks old, but even just getting it empty and working would be nice; I don't have the time to go out and get another one right now. Thanks for any help you can give.

someguy

Re: USB Flash Drive

Postby someguy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:42 pm UTC

dv297 wrote:Is there any hope for this drive? It has all of my work on it, and my back ups are 2 weeks old, but even just getting it empty and working would be nice; I don't have the time to go out and get another one right now.

Suppose for a sec that you manage to get it empty and working again, like you say-- would you trust it with your files again? Your work, at that?

Best to just get another one IMO. They're dirt-cheap and you can buy them just about anywhere, both online and off.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

dv297

Postby dv297 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

lol even if it wasn't work, it'd still be good for something, I hate trashing equipment. Let me retract that statement, *but even just getting the data off, formatting it, and getting it working again would be nice*

Unparallelogram

Postby Unparallelogram » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:04 am UTC

Have you tried a Linux LiveCD, just to see if it sees anything on it? Your problem may well be with the partition table or something, not necessarily hardware. Not having a light seems troubling, but that's sometimes not the device but rather the OS's inability to understand the device.

Axman

Postby Axman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:07 am UTC

Are any of the pins bent?

Unparallelogram

Postby Unparallelogram » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:24 am UTC

Axman wrote:Are any of the pins bent?

You can do that to a USB?!

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:33 am UTC

If you have a USB connector that you can bend the pins on, then you're doing it wrong.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

dv297

Postby dv297 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:17 am UTC

I've never heard of a Linux LiveCD until you mentioned it, but it sounds like an interesting option. A few questions, which distro would you recommend? And how difficult would this be? This looks like what I'm trying to do, but I'm not quite sure about it, it looks like it would be "like" running everything from command prompt which sounds a bit counter-intuitive.

Just bought a PNY flash drive, maybe it's just me but the write times suck really bad..... really hoping to recover this, thanks for the help Unparallelogram

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:22 am UTC

Unparallelogram wrote:

I have one USB key which snapped internally and now only works without the case and with the board at a +30 degree angle to the port. So yes.

It sounds like you've snapped something internally. Two options: Trash it and buy a new one [destroying the chip if you are paranoid/deviant]. Second [more fun] carefuly crack it open and resolder it onto a USB A lead [easiest] or back onto the connector [harder]. You can get the pinouts on wikipedia.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

wst

Postby wst » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

socynicalsohip wrote:
Unparallelogram wrote:

I have one USB key which snapped internally and now only works without the case and with the board at a +30 degree angle to the port. So yes.
I did that as well. Jammed an eraser under it while the tech guy at school ripped all the data from it and put it onto an SD card I handily had, using my mp3 player as an SD interface... Very lucky escape.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

crzftx

Postby crzftx » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:40 am UTC

Wait!
Before you trash it and buy a new one...
I have had very recent personal experience with nearly the exact same scenario. I caused the issue by pulling out the flash drive while it was lit (files copying). Vista could not see the drive. I pulled it out and put it back in multiple times; used diskpart.exe, etc. Eventually Windows found it. It was recognized as a 0-byte drive. I formatted with diskpart and it works just fine now. Windows breaks the "if it doesn't work the first time, doing it the same way won't change anything" law.

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:10 am UTC

crzftx wrote:Wait!
Before you trash it and buy a new one...

That's true, if it was formatted NTFS (it's big enough to be) and you yanked it while the master file table was being indexed or modified, you could have corrupted it.

Even if it doesn't show up as a drive in Explorer, it might show up in Computer Management/ Disk Management. You'll have to re-partition and format it, most likely, but it will work find if that's what the problem was.

peter

Postby peter » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:44 pm UTC

Device Manager shows no problem with any USB Controllers.

This may not be helpful at all, but it might help to try plugging another device into the USB slot, just to make sure it is working properly.

dv297

Postby dv297 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:32 am UTC

peter wrote:
Device Manager shows no problem with any USB Controllers.

This may not be helpful at all, but it might help to try plugging another device into the USB slot, just to make sure it is working properly.

Yea, I already plugged in several different USB Flash Drives into to the same slot, sorry, I should have already mentioned that.

I couldn't find it in Disk Management/ Computer Management, but I haven't tested diskpart.exe so I'll see how that goes.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:04 am UTC

dv297 wrote:I couldn't find it in Disk Management/ Computer Management, but I haven't tested diskpart.exe so I'll see how that goes.

Control Panel -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

dv297

Postby dv297 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:53 am UTC

b.i.o wrote:
dv297 wrote:I couldn't find it in Disk Management/ Computer Management, but I haven't tested diskpart.exe so I'll see how that goes.

Control Panel -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

=.=, I didn't say I couldn't FIND disk management, I said disk management didn't display the Flash Drive I wanted.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

dv297 wrote:=.=, I didn't say I couldn't FIND disk management, I said disk management didn't display the Flash Drive I wanted.

Oops. Skipped over the 'it in' in your post. Sorry.

thunderchicken13

Postby thunderchicken13 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:17 am UTC

dv297 wrote:I've never heard of a Linux LiveCD until you mentioned it, but it sounds like an interesting option. A few questions, which distro would you recommend? And how difficult would this be?

I'd say try Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com) or Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.net). Both distros provide GUI's along with a command line UI if you want. Also, I've never ever had driver issues with Ubuntu. Ever. This is the one I recommend. All you gotta do is download the *.iso file from the site, burn it to a disc, and then boot from the disc. Then you can try to unload your stuff with a GUI. It's well worth the effort if it works. I keep a couple different distros laying around in case of emergency.

Return to “Hardware”