Formatting the external hard drive

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Balkash

Formatting the external hard drive

Postby Balkash » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

I have a WD My Book 500G, and I really like it. However, I forgot to reformat it from FAT32 to NTFS when I bought it and now that I'm transferring memory-heavy files, I wanted to know, If I reformat from FAT32 to NTFS, will it wipe the memory or will my files still be there? I know this is a sad question to ask, but I just don't know and I don't want to erase all those files and have to refind them and retransfer. Thank you

J the Ninja

Re: Formatting the external hard drive

Postby J the Ninja » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

Changing the format type will delete everything on the disk. Sorry.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Balkash

Postby Balkash » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

Alright, well thank you.

masher

Postby masher » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:13 pm UTC

Question (not to the OP)

Could you partition the drive, copy files across the partition and expand it until it fills the entire drive?

someguy

Postby someguy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

How about CONVERT <drive letter> /FS:NTFS?

I've never had a problem with it, though it'd still be a good idea to back your files up somewhere before letting it rip.

Edit: for whatever it's worth, I also have one of those WD external drives (1 TB though) and it took over half a day to format under Windows. Just thought I'd let you know 'cause I was about to hurl mine out the window after a few hours (but apparently it's normal.)
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

worxman02

Postby worxman02 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:53 am UTC

masher wrote:Question (not to the OP)

Could you partition the drive, copy files across the partition and expand it until it fills the entire drive?

/\/\/\/\THIS!

I would get a copy of Gparted and use that to make a 2nd partition formated in ntfs as large as you can make it and then copy all your data over to that partition (assuming you have enough free space to do this otherwise you will have to go back and forth between copying files to the new partition and then resizing them both respectively) and then delete the old partion and expand the new one to fill the entire drive. Make sure you defrag first with a good program such as defraggler. This will just help Gparted work a bit faster

Return to “Hardware”