Solar Gaming and Linux

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Cadmus

Solar Gaming and Linux

Postby Cadmus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:41 pm UTC

[Sorry if this is rushed, I just lost my 20-minute post :( I'll neaten this up and add more details when I have time and as ideas come in]

So I hear good things about the solarmonkey/powermonkey for topping up cell phones while travelling. Could you use one to power a small games/vids/music unit, like say... a GP2X?

My first idea would be to step down from the 5V of the powermonkey to 3.3V and connect it to the mains-in on the GP2X, but how practical is that?

What about those USB AA cells? They don't hold a whole lot of charge, but if you had multiple AA cell driven devices you could carry a half-dozen and use them in rotation. Or is this cruisng for terrible efficiency (charging one battery from another)?
Last edited by Cadmus on Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Cadmus

Re: Solar Gaming?

Postby Cadmus » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

So it seems the powermonkey's maximum output is 700mA or so, assuming that's measured at 5V then it's power is 3.5W, the GP2X power requirements at peak are 3.3W, so a voltage regulator would have to be 94% efficient!

Of course that is the worse case scenario, according to the GP2X wiki the maximum consumption is 800mA for a power consumption of 2.64W, this would mean a voltage regulator only 75% efficient would be needed. However it seems more recent versions of the firmware consume more power, so this is looking like a bit of a bust as that would take more power than the powermonkey can deliver.

The more research I do the more dead the GP2X seems, a shame as a multi-emulator Linux handheld would have been exactly what I was looking for. Has anyone else tried anything like this?

Return to “Hardware”