HD recovery tools

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

dasada122

HD recovery tools

Postby dasada122 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

I just bought a SATA/IDE to USB adapter, and it is giving me lip. My drive won't register at all except in Slave mode, and then only in disk management as an uninitialized, unallocated volume. I know for a fact that this drive had an NTFS setup a few months ago, and it's been on the shelf since. Does anyone have a favorite disk recovery tool? Freeware preferred.

phillipsjk

Re: HD recovery tools

Postby phillipsjk » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:19 am UTC

I have not had a lot of luck with USB stuff that is not actually certified.

You way want to see if the drive is still readable while plugged directly into the IDE/SATA bus.

For a recovery disk, you may want to try the System Rescue CD.

It is GNU/Linux based, so there may be a bit of a learning curve. I have used version 1.0.1, MD5 sum: c5b4ffc96666d9d9d50ddc0850e771eb (useless info because the linked web-site "claims" the current version is 1.2.2 :idea: )

Edit: It's GNU/Linux, not just "Linux."
Last edited by phillipsjk on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Did you get the number on that truck?

L337R3dN3k

Re: HD recovery tools

Postby L337R3dN3k » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:00 am UTC

My first step is always to put the hard drive on an internal interface. Many data / partition recovery tools don't always work properly (if at all) on external drives.

Drives can die on the shelf, sadly. If it doesn't show up internally, I would first try TestDiskTestDisk - http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/. It should be included on the recovery disk phillipsjk referenced. If that doesn't work, and you have the budget, look into Active@ Undelete - http://www.active-undelete.com/. Both are extremely good in my experience.

Return to “Hardware”