Laptop Batteries

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Atre

Laptop Batteries

Postby Atre » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:05 am UTC

NB: I'm in the UK

My Vaio battery recently went to shit (10 min runtime from fully charged) which rather annoyed me, due to the fact that I'd barely used the damn thing [At Uni, the laptop lives plugged into the wall and the battery lives 10 feet away in a drawer].

First question: Sony are feeding me a "batteries are consumables so not covered under warranty" line and claiming that NO company includes the battery on warranty and Sony's 6month goodwill battery exchange is exceedingly generous. Are they lying?

Second Question: I don't buy this "batteries are consumable" bull. The battery is an integral part of the laptop and if the battery's lifetime is less than that of the laptop that strikes me as an issue - has the legal team at sony got inventive with consumer rights laws relating to batteries in torches and the like?

Third question: My power pack failed at about the same time my laptop battery did... Are Li-ion batteries particularly vulnerable to voltage fluctuations? Could the failure of the powerpack have damaged the battery?

Cheers for any help guys.

cerbie

Re: Laptop Batteries

Postby cerbie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:31 am UTC

That battery clearly had some issues. 18 months? Sure, it should do that. But, not 6.

The thing is, a battery is not designed to last the life of the device, as long as it is removable. An iPod's battery is designed to limit the device's life, FI. A typical laptop allows you to carry a spare battery with you, if you want.

At the end of the day, they are technically correct, and there's no way you are going to convince them otherwise (I'd guess the adapter failure caused the battery failure, but how can you prove that?). However, the UK most certainly has equivalents to Attorneys General, do they not? It wouldn't hurt to call or email somebody with influence in consumer/business affairs, and see if Sony really is allowed to stiff you like that.

Atre wrote:Cheers for any help guys.
Get a new battery, for now. If you can get a 3rd-party one, that could save you a little. When it's time for a new notebook, look to Lenovo, Asus, Samsung, etc. (the latter two won't give the greatest active support, honestly, but the hardware quality and passive support can help make up for it).
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Atre wrote:First question: Sony are feeding me a "batteries are consumables so not covered under warranty" line and claiming that NO company includes the battery on warranty and Sony's 6month goodwill battery exchange is exceedingly generous. Are they lying?

Second Question: I don't buy this "batteries are consumable" bull. The battery is an integral part of the laptop and if the battery's lifetime is less than that of the laptop that strikes me as an issue - has the legal team at sony got inventive with consumer rights laws relating to batteries in torches and the like?

Lithium-ion batteries are considered consumable, but the expected lifespan is three years. Most companies I'm familiar with will cover the battery for the length of the laptop warranty, usually one year.

Other types of rechargable batteries aren't covered by warranty because the expected lifespan is so variable, or because the main cause of early failure is mistreatment. For example, lead-acid batteries will last a very long time but a single full discharge will destroy one, while the life of a NiMH battery is limited by the number of charge/discharge cycles it undergoes.

Atre

Postby Atre » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:13 am UTC

In clarification, My battery failed circa the 1year mark. Hence not soon enough to come in under battery warranty, but my computer as a whole is still under warranty. Also meaning the battery has a bad lifetime but not an appalling one (well, it was appalling in terms of hours that I've used it - but not from time of purchase)

And in fairness, my experience of Sony was excellent until I tried to get a battery off of them. Good laptop and prompt customer service. Still gonna boycott the bastards if they don't give me a battery mind you.

Most companies I'm familiar with will cover the battery for the length of the laptop warranty, usually one year.

Could you supply some names? My ongoing exchange with Sony might benefit from pointing out they flat-out lied

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

The books your laptop came with should include warranty information.

If anything, doesn't Britain have a mandatory one or two year warranty or something?

Return to “Hardware”