Is my motherboard PCI-e v1 or v2?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Cadmus

Is my motherboard PCI-e v1 or v2?

Postby Cadmus » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:22 am UTC

I'm thinking of upgrading my 8800GT to someting with a little more oomph now I have a bigger monitor. However what I can't seem to figure out is whether my motherboard is PCI-e v1 or v2. It's a Gigabyte P35 DS3 and I got it about 15 months ago, problem is I can't seem to find enough information to even guess what it might be.

J the Ninja

Re: Is my motherboard PCI-e v1 or v2?

Postby J the Ninja » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:28 pm UTC

Does it mention 2.0 support in the manual anywhere? If not, you probably don't have it. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference for most cards though. What were you planning to get? A 5850?
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Game_boy

Re: Is my motherboard PCI-e v1 or v2?

Postby Game_boy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

PCIe is fully backwards and forwards compatible, all cards work in all kinds of slots. There are no non-synthetic benchmarks showing any performance gain for using the later version. In other words, it doesn't matter.

I would second a 5850 as the replacement. You'll notice a big difference from the 8800GT and it's great value considering it outperforms its competitor the GTX285 by about 10% on average, which is at least $40 more expensive but on average $100 more expensive.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Return to “Hardware”