Motherboards with onboard graphics

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Mincewind

Motherboards with onboard graphics

Postby Mincewind » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

I'm possibly going to build a computer, but while looking at motherboards, I notice a lot of them have onboard graphics. Obviously I don't intend to use it, but I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to disable them in a build from scratch, because many of these motherboards are otherwise perfect for what I have intended.

I know I posted a topic about getting a computer a while back; but, well, nothing happened.

Polah

Re: Motherboards with onboard graphics

Postby Polah » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:54 pm UTC

There's no need to disable onboard graphics. Just simply don't use them. All the boards I've used over the past few years have automatically disabled the onboard GPU when I have a graphics card plugged in and running, making it the only way I can use the onboard is to remove the card and reboot.

Disabling it entirely would be foolish, since if your graphics card breaks, you can no longer use your computer until you get a new one as you've got no working GPU to use.

Mincewind

Postby Mincewind » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:09 pm UTC

So simply booting with the GPU connected up is all it takes? Fair enough, that's quite a bit simpler than I thought. Thanks.

Polah

Postby Polah » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

Mincewind wrote:So simply booting with the GPU connected up is all it takes? Fair enough, that's quite a bit simpler than I thought. Thanks.

As far as I've seen, yes.

GeorgeH

Postby GeorgeH » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

They are very easily disabled from within BIOS, and do not have any effect on performance. If a motherboard without an IGP shipped with a tiny discrete graphics card, it'd be functionally the same thing.

hintss

Postby hintss » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:42 am UTC

Mincewind wrote:So simply booting with the GPU connected up is all it takes? Fair enough, that's quite a bit simpler than I thought. Thanks.

also, AFAIK from installing graphics cards on dells at school, if something is connected to the onboard graphics while there is a graphics card, you'll get an error. So, either have the monitor connected to the graphics card, or no graphics card.

Polah

Postby Polah » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:15 am UTC

hintss wrote:

also, AFAIK from installing graphics cards on dells at school, if something is connected to the onboard graphics while there is a graphics card, you'll get an error. So, either have the monitor connected to the graphics card, or no graphics card.

I've never seen or heard of that happening. Every time something been plugged into the onboard graphics output when there's a card installed, there's just no output at all.

hintss

Postby hintss » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

hmmm...well, at school, there'd be a BIOS error.

Return to “Hardware”