Thinking of buying a netbook

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Cadmus

Thinking of buying a netbook

Postby Cadmus » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

I'm thinking of doing a lot of travelling in the next year or so and was thinking of getting something lightweight that's easier to work with than my phone.

My major wants are that it should be Linux-friendly, have a good battery life, and reasonable build quality. I won't be playing games[1] on it and videos I can always transcode before putting them on. Don't need cellular ocnnectivity as I can tether my phone.

I know the massive rush on them has started to abate now that tablets are the next big thing but I'm still not sure if my search would miss something you guys have found.

[1] Apart from maybe emulated stuff, but most likely not stuff that suffers too badly from the odd frame rate dip

Meteorswarm

Re: Thinking of buying a netbook

Postby Meteorswarm » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:17 pm UTC

My eeepc worked well before it suffered heat death due to a failed fan, so you could go for one of them. Some linux-out-of-the-box options that I know of include this one from Zareason and this one from system76. I'm sure other posters will have other options too, let's try to pool as many as we can.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

enk

Postby enk » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:20 am UTC

I'm happy about my Eee 1005P. It runs Ubuntu nicely, lasts 6-6.5 hrs on a charge, is sturdy, and looks stylish.
If I could change one thing about it, I'd ask for dedicated home/end keys, but I guess you don't find that on many netbooks anyway :)
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:56 am UTC

With emulation, you don't need an x86 to play games; you can use qemu instead :)

You did not say what you budget was. Once I finish customizing the subnotbook I want to get to be power-efficient, it will probably cost me close to $1000 (partly because of duplicated parts).
  • SSD is expected to add about 40 minutes of battery life (assuming ~5hrs)
  • Reflective screen expected to add many hours of battery life (but has a min storage temperature of -20°C or -4°F).

I also have no idea how fast MIPS is compared to x86 (atom) or ARM.
Did you get the number on that truck?

Cadmus

Postby Cadmus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

To clarify on 'emulation' I was thinking things like MAME, ZNES, and DOSBox.

As to budget if I can get it for under £200 (yes I'm in the UK) I'll be very happy. Might be able to stretch to a little more, but given I've seen eee 100Xs for less than £150 I'm confident I can do it.

Return to “Hardware”