Repetetive Strain, CTS and other maladies [Survey]

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Do you suffer from computer ergonomical related problems?

Mild hand pains
23%
Mild elbow pains
8%
Mild shoulder pains
12%
Severe hand pains
4%
Severe elbow pains
4%
Severe shoulder pains
2%
De Quervain syndrome
No votes
Caparal Tunnel Syndrome
2%
Nonspecific Repetetive Strain
4%
Other maladies (please specify)
4%
Not really a problem
38%

Total votes: 52

MHD

Repetetive Strain, CTS and other maladies [Survey]

Postby MHD » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:15 am UTC

For a school project, I am looking into computer ergonomics.

It has come to my attention that repetetive strain is actually a major problem amongst coders and gamers. I myself am suffering from some of these, so I wanted to see how many others are suffering from similar problems.

Criticism, comments and general discussion are welcome.

I will also link to this from Coding and Gaming forums.

Also, please comment if you participate, listing the peripherals you use (since the poll doesn't register individual pollers and we need the ergonomical information.)
Last edited by MHD on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
EvanED wrote:be aware that when most people say "regular expression" they really mean "something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a regular expression"

Raenil

Re: Repetetive Strain, CTS and other maladies [Survey]

Postby Raenil » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:43 am UTC

You know, sometimes i'm on my computer gaming for just 14 hours straight, stopping only to use the bathroom or eat or feed my dog. But i've never had any kind of injury or discomfort, beyond the obvious eye strain towards the end.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:33 am UTC

Usually I get odd stabs of pain around my mouse-using elbow if I've been on the computer for a while, despite how comfortable my chair is.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:14 pm UTC

I voted no problems. I use a laptop keyboard and an external mouse rather than the pad. Sometimes I type with one hand and use the mousepad while laying on my side in bed which could be more strenuous.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:21 pm UTC

I have had some minor wrist pain, but it's never really been a significant problem.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

I get a small amount of pain near the bottom of my mouse-using thumb, but not much else. When I played WoW a _lot_ I would get some of the skin on the knobbly bit on the opposite side of my wrist eroded, not enough to cause pain, but enough to go "oh, I've been playing a lot of WoW". I'm using a microsoft 5 button "IntelliMouse." My hands are also gigantic, and I've never found a mouse large enough to comply with the recommended "don't rest your wrist on the table" that I hear from ergonomaticians.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Retne

Postby Retne » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:36 am UTC

I have spent a lot of my life in front of a computer gaming or browsing the web. I have never had any stress pains associated with using the computer. Although I do have stress pain in my shoulders from time to time its from martial arts and not computer use(dang bendy wu shu teacher).

spedione

Postby spedione » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

Never had any issues except one little thing:

MacBook Pro (The edges where your wrist end up sitting are SHARP... hurt after a half-hour or so)

But I use an external keyboard to avoid that...

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Occasionally at work I'll have mild issues with my shoulders. I tend to be tired/bored, and end up kind of slumping and supporting my upper body with my arms on the chair armrests. That's about as bad as things get for me, but I've put some effort into making sure my work spaces are fairly ergonomic, keyboard and mouse are at the right levels, things like that.

One thing I do note that is missing from this survey is eyestrain, which seems to be a reasonably common cause of issues for some people.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Kromix

Postby Kromix » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:24 pm UTC

sometimes shooting paing from kuckes to the elbow, mainly from working/gaming on the computer for extended hours and in an extremely cold temperature
Click Me! <---- Click There! :)
Spoiler:

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

No problems so far.

I do a lot of programming but mainly gaming these days.

I don't wear spectacles.

Stuff I use(d):
Keyboard (normal desktop keyboard and the MBP's (does the iphone screen count?))
Mouse
Trackpad (MBP)
DualShock 3
I write a blog rant here.

enk

Postby enk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:21 pm UTC

Sometimes a mild pain in the index finger of my right hand/mouse hand. The pain is smaller when I hold my mouse like this:
IMAG0102.jpg

so I do that often. Besides the mouse, I use a regular keyboard for my desktop computer which I use most of the time. The pain is less frequent when I use my netbook with a 92% size keyboard and a touchpad. I've also considered getting a touchpad for my desktop. I do programming and regular typing, but no gaming. I'm in front of a computer 14+ hours daily.

Come to think of it, my right shoulder also feels weird sometimes, but it's not enough that I'd call it pain.
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

I have no pain that I can remember at the moment. I'm on the computer for at least 3-4 hours every day, usually longer. Typically I use a desktop, since I play games frequently, but if I'm at school I use a laptop for web browsing or typing reports or whatever.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

GenericAnimeBoy

Postby GenericAnimeBoy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:23 pm UTC

I've had a bit of light wrist pain with mouse usage. The Logitech MX-310 isn't the most ergonomically correct mouse, and my desk/chair layout is completely unhelpful (it's hard to find a position where you're not either resting your elbow on the armrest or your wrist by the mouse :( ) A while back, I got a Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch, which I use most of the time when I'm not gaming. Pointing with the pen puts my hand in a different position and seems to help a lot. At the moment I'm back to using the mouse and the touchpad, though, because I have pretty bad writing cramps from taking lots of notes at school.
In light of the impermanence and absurdity of existence, I surmise that nothing is better for us than to rejoice and to do good in our lives, and that everyone should eat and drink and enjoy the good of his/her labor. Such enjoyment is a gift from God.

theorigamist

Postby theorigamist » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:41 pm UTC

I voted no problems. I'm using:
- Logitech K350 keyboard
- Logitech wireless performance mouse MX
- when not using my desktop, Asus Eee PC 1000.

I've had no problems, but I do find myself occasionally rotating my Logitech mouse. Not as much as enk, but with my index finger on the scroll wheel instead of the left button.

Raenil

Postby Raenil » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:04 am UTC

Ever since I answered this i've been much more conscious of my aches and pains when using the computer..

enk

Postby enk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:12 pm UTC

Bought myself a touchpad for my desktop and started using it with alternating hands, mostly my left. It's slower than using a mouse, but my hands don't hurt anymore! And two finger scrolling is much more enjoyable than using a mouse wheel :-)

Edit: Plus, Ubuntu 11.04 should support real multitouch! (not just two-finger scroll and two and three finger tap)
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Korrente

Postby Korrente » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

Voted not a problem but I have two things that do happen, albiet so rarely I'm not even sure if they're caused by computer use, just triggered:
Occasionally my entire right forearm will cramp up, wrist to elbow. I can feel it starting about an hour before it really starts to hurt, but there's nothing I can do to stop it. Stopping computer use, pain killers, nothing works; it just slowly escalates to a dull but painful cramp that can last 1-10 hours.
Second, my wrist will sometimes get a pain that can last for days right where my carpals and my arm bones connect. It's also just a dull (but less dull than a cramp) pain that also hurts when I push on that pressure point from the top of my hand. After a while the pain will just vanish and I won't have the problem for another two or three months (or more).

Anyway, I'm using a weighted gaming mouse (Logitech G5) and a straight keyboard (Logitech G15). At home they're nearly at the perfect height for my wrists to sit comfortably. At school however, my wrists rest on the desk and bend at the edge so my arms kind of hang off. I don't like it but it's not really uncomfortable. I can't get any other chair in here to fix the problem though or I would.

Return to “Hardware”