Cleaning my laptop

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Cleaning my laptop

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

Ok guys, I figure this stuff's pretty simple but I'd rather check with knowledgeable people here before actually doing anything. I need advice on how to clean my laptop, not the keys (though I should do that also), but rather the area around the mousepad. As I'm sure you're all familiar with, the area where you rest your hands can get quite dirty so I need help on cleaning it, but I don't want to do anything that might damage my computer or cause some discoloration. I should also clean the mousepad as well.

I've read that it's best to use a mix of alcohol and water (40/60) to clean it up, so I think I might go with that unless anyone here knows better or has any alternate methods. Thanks in advance.

Obby

Re: Cleaning my laptop

Postby Obby » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:47 am UTC

You could dilute rubbing alcohol in water if you want, but all in all, rubbing alcohol isn't really damaging the plastic, even when undiluted out of the bottle. But, you're down the right track. Get some rubbing alcohol (diluted or not, doesn't matter unless you're worried about the cost of the alcohol), paper towels and some cotton ear swabs (Q-Tip is a brand version of them). Dampen the paper towel and rub down wherever you want to clean until it's clean. Dampen the ear swabs in the alcohol and use it to clean the little cracks the paper towel can't get to (this is especially good for getting in the corners of the mouse pad and between keys). Then, if there's and residual moisture, you can wipe it off or let it evaporate. Rubbing alcohol evaporates fairly quickly, so you don't need to worry about damaging the computer with it.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:00 pm UTC

Use your fingernail for the laptop.

Also, don't put q-tips in your ear, you can damage your eardrum that way. Earwax is supposed to fall out naturally without any intervention from q-tips or fingers.

Solt

Postby Solt » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:39 am UTC

Obby wrote:rubbing alcohol isn't really damaging the plastic, even when undiluted out of the bottle.

The now smeared paint on my laptop says otherwise.

Seriously, DO NOT do this without applying the alcohol to a small test area first. I would suggest avoiding the alcohol altogether for something milder.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:06 pm UTC

Solt wrote:
Obby wrote:rubbing alcohol isn't really damaging the plastic, even when undiluted out of the bottle.

The now smeared paint on my laptop says otherwise.

Seriously, DO NOT do this without applying the alcohol to a small test area first. I would suggest avoiding the alcohol altogether for something milder.

Wait, seriously? I've used rubbing alcohol dozens of times on many plastic surfaces, and it's never damaged anything for me...

Ok, either way, I guess hold off on undiluted rubbing alcohol, just to be safe.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Re: Cleaning my portable brainbox

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:59 pm UTC

Ok guys, stupid question. Is there any difference between "rubbing alcohol" and regular alcohol? Or is it the same? I tried cleaning it with a mix of alcohol and water and didn't do anything. Then with just alcohol and there was minimum improvement.

abdication

Postby abdication » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:40 am UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:Ok guys, stupid question. Is there any difference between "rubbing alcohol" and regular alcohol? Or is it the same? I tried cleaning it with a mix of alcohol and water and didn't do anything. Then with just alcohol and there was minimum improvement.

I just got the most amusing image in my head about you trying to clean your computer with some diluted scotch.

In all reality, you are only off by two Carbons and a few hydrogens, but I really can't say anything about the cleaning power of normal (Read: Drinking) alcohol.

"Rubbing" Alcohol is also called Isopropyl alcohol. You'll normally find it in a clear/white container in most pharmacy isles for about $1-$2 for 70-90%. I frequently use it to clean computers and LCD screens, and never have had any bleeding problems or deterioration of the surface. Bit of that on a paper towel and it's nice, clean, and sanitary.

From wikipedia
Thus it is used widely as a solvent and as a cleaning fluid, especially for dissolving lipophilic contaminants such as oil. Examples include cleaning electronic devices such as contact pins (like those on ROM cartridges), magnetic tape and disk heads (such as those in audio and video tape recorders and floppy disk drives), the lenses of lasers in optical disc drives (e.g. CD, DVD) and removing thermal paste from IC packages (such as CPUs.) It is used to clean LCD and glass computer monitor screens (at some risk to the anti-reflection coating on some screens[citation needed]), and used to give second-hand or worn records newer-looking sheens.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:08 am UTC

Ok, so I realize how stupid that must have sounded like. What I mean is, I don't think we have a common term here for what you guys call rubbing alcohol. I have an alcohol bottle (it says Alcohol Isopropílico, Isopropyl Alcohol) which is the one I used, but I didn't know if what you guys called Rubbing Alcohol was the same thing or something different. I think I will try it again, to see if I have any luck. I talked to a friend of mine and he told me he used rubbing alcohol too but didn't have much luck, and he said he heard something about using windows cleaner, but I don't want to try anything before checking up here first.

L337R3dN3k

Postby L337R3dN3k » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

[quote="Cathode Ray Sunshine"it says Alcohol Isopropílico, Isopropyl Alcohol[/quote]

That is the same as our rubbing alcohol, yes.
I would highly recommend diluting it and not scrubbing too much, I have also had it smear/mar finishes.

While we're talking about alcohol, I would like to vouch that vodka is a very effective cleaning agent and, if you get the really cheap stuff, can be cheaper than cleaning supplies. I usually start drinking it around 9pm and am using it to clean the toilet by midnight. This way I get a couple of uses out of the same bottle.

Solt

Postby Solt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:12 am UTC

Obby wrote:Wait, seriously? I've used rubbing alcohol dozens of times on many plastic surfaces, and it's never damaged anything for me...

Ok, either way, I guess hold off on undiluted rubbing alcohol, just to be safe.

Yea, seriously. I'm not saying it WILL damage plastic, I'm saying test it in a small spot first.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

Return to “Hardware”