Mounting a half-slim SSD

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Cadmus

Mounting a half-slim SSD

Postby Cadmus » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:00 pm UTC

So I'm building a home server/NAS and I picked up one of these as a boot/system drive http://www.transcend-info.com/industry/products_details.asp?CatNo=2&SerNo=9&ModNo=6&Func1No=1.

So I have this thing and a 2.5" mounting bracket... and I've suddenly realised I have no idea how the hell I'm going to fit it. Has anyone used a module like this before?

Looks like one idea might be to get some spacers and small screws, there's a pair of brackets provided with the case which have screws which match up with those small holes on either sides, what should I be looking for down the hardware store? I'll be making some diagrams shortly.

PhoenixEnigma

Re: Mounting a half-slim SSD

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:46 am UTC

I'd probably just say "screw it" and toss it somewhere out of the way - possibly use some doublesided tape to stick it somewhere. SSDs don't really need to be securely mounted for any reason, and you might want that drive bay at some point in a NAS.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Cadmus

Postby Cadmus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:08 am UTC

The use of the bay isn't a problem, it's got 4x3.5" you can access through the front and one 2.5" internal, so it's meant for a system drive to nestle in at the bottom.

As for sticking it somewhere else that does seem like a good idea, but as it's a 'bare board' type SSD (see pic in above link) I just want to make sure it's not going to short out.

Bhelliom

Postby Bhelliom » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:20 pm UTC

Well, that looks like an industrial part to me, meant to be mounted in a case or on a board designed exactly for it. You see this a lot in industrial designed machines.

If it was me, I would get a small piece of plexiglass from your local hardware store, and cut 2 pieces to make the ssd into a "sandwich." I would drill holes in the plexi to match the 4 holes on the SSD, then use small machine screws to hold it all together, with plastic or rubber washers between the SSD and the plexiglass on both sides of the SSD. I would use washers thick enough to keep the ssd and the plexiglass from touching. Then I would use Velcro or dual-lock to fasten the SSD sandwich inside my case.

"Eloquently Blunt"

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:31 am UTC

Bhelliom wrote:Well, that looks like an industrial part to me, meant to be mounted in a case or on a board designed exactly for it. You see this a lot in industrial designed machines.

If it was me, I would get a small piece of plexiglass from your local hardware store, and cut 2 pieces to make the ssd into a "sandwich." I would drill holes in the plexi to match the 4 holes on the SSD, then use small machine screws to hold it all together, with plastic or rubber washers between the SSD and the plexiglass on both sides of the SSD. I would use washers thick enough to keep the ssd and the plexiglass from touching. Then I would use Velcro or dual-lock to fasten the SSD sandwich inside my case.

I'd make it out of corrugated cardboard and tape. Almost as effective, and much cheaper.

Bhelliom

Postby Bhelliom » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:13 pm UTC

Carnildo wrote:I'd make it out of corrugated cardboard and tape. Almost as effective, and much cheaper.

And trashy looking. And Flammable.
"Eloquently Blunt"

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:27 pm UTC

Bhelliom wrote:
Carnildo wrote:I'd make it out of corrugated cardboard and tape. Almost as effective, and much cheaper.

And trashy looking. And Flammable.

Pfft. I've built whole computers in cardboard boxes, and nothing burnt down :P
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Return to “Hardware”