Controversial opinions about food

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Re: Controversial opinions about food

Postby doogly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

This is a wackness, not a USness.
The deal is, shitty breakfast "sausage" is shit, but by calling it "sausage," they are trying to remind you of a food. This fools some people into thinking it is food. But you can't fool all of the people with this one.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure the Wikipedia article supports the 'seasoned ground meat' definition:
A sausage is a food usually made from ground meat with a skin around it.

And I'm not sure you fully understand what "usually" means.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:56 am UTC

I usually see "loose" sausage meat sold under the label "bulk sausage" which is pretty much just another way to say "sausagemeat" and I guess what we call "patty sausage" you would call "pudding" in the UK. Definitely not what I think of when I hear the word "pudding" but I have eaten it and I approve very much of the thing that it is.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:33 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Nath wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure the Wikipedia article supports the 'seasoned ground meat' definition:
A sausage is a food usually made from ground meat with a skin around it.

And I'm not sure you fully understand what "usually" means.

There's always a 'usually' when it comes to food terminology. It's not the kind of field where people define things very precisely. You've got teas without tea, chili con carne without chilis or meat, hummus without chickpeas, and sausages without casing. My point is, the casing thing seems more fundamental to the definition than the seasonings, at least outside the US. That's why the first sentence talks about sausage skin, and 'bulk sausage meat' is buried away next to 'vegetarian sausage'.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:55 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I guess what we call "patty sausage" you would call "pudding" in the UK. Definitely not what I think of when I hear the word "pudding" but I have eaten it and I approve very much of the thing that it is.
I... doubt this. 'Pudding' usually means a roundish food item that is boiled or steamed (when it doesn't just mean a dessert in general). I have made a pudding with ground meat in it before, but it was encased in pastry and then steamed.

Having searched on a forum for US expats in Britain, apparently there's a Scottish dish called lorne sausage or Scots sausage. I'd never heard of it before, but it seems to be like patty sausage but formed into a loaf.

Patty sausage does exist in England, but only in McDonalds breakfasts and some other US-style restaurants that do breakfast.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:54 am UTC

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:I guess what we call "patty sausage" you would call "pudding" in the UK. Definitely not what I think of when I hear the word "pudding" but I have eaten it and I approve very much of the thing that it is.
I... doubt this. 'Pudding' usually means a roundish food item that is boiled or steamed (when it doesn't just mean a dessert in general). I have made a pudding with ground meat in it before, but it was encased in pastry and then steamed.

U srs bro? How do you refer to a sausage patty then?
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Utterly serious. Black pudding is made by boiling pig's blood and fat inside a casing - you can then take the casing off for serving if you like.

Apart from Scots saugage (which I've never heard of before, and is probably slightly different anyway) sausage patties simply don't exist here outside of McDonalds (where they're called sausage patties) and perhaps other US-style restaurants.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Alder

Postby Alder » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

Heh, I had a conversation with a pal just a couple of days ago - she's in Northern Ireland, which has lots in common with Scotland, but sometimes random stuff that's different - and she'd never heard of square slice/Lorne sausage either. I see the wiki article also calls it Scots or Scottish sausage, but I've never heard it called that up here!

PS. It is delicious.

PPS. It's best eaten as part of a Scottish breakfast, with tattie scones taking the place of hash browns.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:27 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Utterly serious. Black pudding is made by boiling pig's blood and fat inside a casing - you can then take the casing off for serving if you like.

Huh. Today I Learned. When I had a "full Irish" breakfast at a place in Boston, the black and white puddings they served looked like rough patties. But maybe my memory is just foggy.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:45 am UTC

My friend made black pudding once. Once.

You generally serve black pudding by cutting a slice out, and then peeling the skin off. The result often looks like a rough patty due to manhandling or whatever.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:18 am UTC

Alder wrote:I see the wiki article also calls it Scots or Scottish sausage, but I've never heard it called that up here!
That does make sense :P

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:Utterly serious. Black pudding is made by boiling pig's blood and fat inside a casing - you can then take the casing off for serving if you like.

Huh. Today I Learned. When I had a "full Irish" breakfast at a place in Boston, the black and white puddings they served looked like rough patties. But maybe my memory is just foggy.

At the (late) Purple Shamrock in Boston, their b&w pudding looked like it does in the pic from that Lorne sausage link. I never quite cared for it (softer than I prefer), but always ordered extra on the side for St. Patrick's Day breakfast. At Greenhill's Irish Bakery in the Adams Corner neighborhood of Dorchester, they serve it in the thick stubby kielbasa-esque chunks that are fried up to crispy goodness.

After visiting Irish shops all over Boston and seeing all of the b&w pudding packaged in sausage ropes like kielbasa I have no idea where any restaurant gets it from where they can serve it up like a patty. Even if you cut the pudding into thinner slices before frying, you still can't increase the diameter. It has to be something available only through restaurant food distributors.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

The breakfast I was thinking of was at The Asgard on Mass Ave.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

Presumably this is how one orders coffee at The Asgard?
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

Controversial Opinion: actually, peppercorns are pretty amazing. Au Poivre is a great preparation for burgers or steak.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

One of my last MUST HAVE STEAK moments before getting used to vegetarianism involved a well-peppered steak broiled to barely past rare. It's a good last steak-memory to have.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Had an interesting beer called Sgt Pepper from the Cambridge Brewing Company recently. Brewed with peppercorns - it was in the style of an IPA I'd say, except for where the bitterness of the hops would come to the fore it was peppery instead.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:29 am UTC

Wait, who doesn't like peppercorns?

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:36 am UTC

Communists.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:59 am UTC

Newly-allergic people.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:31 am UTC

The page of "pepper is terrible and overused" a couple pages ago, mostly.

They/them

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:34 am UTC

Low-quality pepper cropdusted over everything is to be lamented. The good stuff right where it belongs is a rung on the ladder to heaven.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:37 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Had an interesting beer called Sgt Pepper from the Cambridge Brewing Company recently. Brewed with peppercorns - it was in the style of an IPA I'd say, except for where the bitterness of the hops would come to the fore it was peppery instead.
This sounds like something I want to try, not being a fan of hop forward beers.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Belial wrote:The page of "pepper is terrible and overused" a couple pages ago, mostly.

Must have activated my youtube comment filter

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:53 am UTC

Curry is good if and only if it does not contain coconut milk (also known as almost never).
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:09 am UTC

Where do you live? You can find coconut-free curries pretty much anywhere, as long as you don't go to a Thai place and order $COLOR curry.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:18 am UTC

Southern California. Every thai curry I've tried was made with coconut milk, and not all of it was $COLOR curry. Admittedly, I have not had Indian curry.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:12 am UTC

Yeah, most thai curry has coconut milk as a base. That is also like, only a third of curries.

(It just happens to be the third of curries I like more than all the others because coconut milk is amazing)

They/them

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:31 am UTC

Thesh wrote:Southern California. Every thai curry I've tried was made with coconut milk, and not all of it was $COLOR curry. Admittedly, I have not had Indian curry.

Man, curries are kind of our thing. You can't run around making generalizations about curries if you've only ever tried their distant descendants. It's like hating on Philly cheesesteaks without having been to Philly.

That said, at least you are generalizing from Thai curries, rather than Japanese or (shudder) British. If you want to stick with Thai curries, go with kaeng pa (jungle curry) or phat phrik khing (pork with green beans and curry paste).

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

Japanese curry is just a dessert with spice, a balti is a thing of beauty in comparison.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

Nath wrote:
Thesh wrote:Southern California. Every thai curry I've tried was made with coconut milk, and not all of it was $COLOR curry. Admittedly, I have not had Indian curry.

Man, curries are kind of our thing. You can't run around making generalizations about curries if you've only ever tried their distant descendants. It's like hating on Philly cheesesteaks without having been to Philly.

That said, at least you are generalizing from Thai curries, rather than Japanese or (shudder) British. If you want to stick with Thai curries, go with kaeng pa (jungle curry) or phat phrik khing (pork with green beans and curry paste).

There's only one type of philly cheesesteak, and five completely different curries for everybody in the suncontinent.

Anyways, my favorite curry ever is thai--masaman curry. Not that the others I've had aren't good; masaman curry is just better than almost everything else.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

Philly makes their cheesesteaks with shitty cheese. Y'all had one job: combine "cheese" and "steak" in a pleasing fashion. This should have been easy. They're two of the best things in the world. All you have to do is pick a non-awful che...

Oh, what's that? Liquified american cheese? Zero points.

They/them

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

Oh man I agree. I don't think the use of cheesewiz makes for a bad sandwich, but holy shit how much better could they have done it... And then the purism about standing by an inferior quality thing for tradition sake...

Have you ever had Carls out here? I keep hearing it's a super famous, so I'm not sure how widespread knowledge about it is, but straight up, best cheesesteak I've ever had. Bacon evenly distributed in greasy meat suspended in a matrix of just the right amount of swiss and some kind of jalapeno sauce.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Oh man I agree. I don't think the use of cheesewiz makes for a bad sandwich, but holy shit how much better could they have done it... And then the purism about standing by an inferior quality thing for tradition sake...
Yeah, I don't always make cheesesteak sandwiches but when I do, I USE REAL CHEESE. And it's delicious. American cheese sucks.

Whoops, I was supposed to be posting something controversial. Ummmm.... white bread sucks for making PB&J sandwiches? Whole grain pasta is obviously superior to the pasty, gummy stuff people try to pass off as pasta. There.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

I think New Jersey has better cheesesteaks than Philly. But I'm comparing NJ hole-in-the-wall sandwiches to Philly tourist trap sandwiches, so it might not be entirely fair.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:10 am UTC

My new boss is taking us out for Indian food tomorrow (he and most of my coworkers are Indian) so I will give Indian curry a try.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:51 am UTC

Thesh wrote:My new boss is taking us out for Indian food tomorrow (he and most of my coworkers are Indian) so I will give Indian curry a try.

So long as you don't go for a korma, you'll probably be ok. Most Indian restaurants have descriptions of what's in the different types, but most of them don't have coconut milk, I think.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Indian curries can be finished with cream, yogurt, coconut milk, or probably a number of other things. It varies from recipe to recipe, but I feel like yogurt or cream are most common.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

Or with nothing, just oily spicy goodness on your chapati.

Return to “Food”