Microwave Recipes

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Microwave Recipes

Postby SpitValve » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:30 am UTC

So I don't have a stove in my room at my new uni, but I do have a microwave.

I like cooking for myself rather than having a meal plan, especially as I want to save money to visit my family in NZ, or my friends in Thailand, or buy an xbox 360.

I don't think we're allowed to buy our own ovens - probably they think it's a fire hazard or something.

So: what's something that's quick + easy to do in a microwave but still is healthy and tasty?

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:31 am UTC

Noodles?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:35 am UTC

anything that you would normally do in a steamer works in a microwave quite well. so id suggest steamed puddings
in ur beanz makin u eveel

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:37 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Noodles?

True...

Carbohydrates are good, but I need vitamins and proteins as well, which in my naive theory of nutriation, means veggies and meat. You can steam veggies in a microwave ok, although they come out a bit soggy, but meat I can't imagine coming out right.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:41 am UTC

You can do rice. Veggies can be done raw. Meat... is somewhat more problematic. You could maybe get a George Foreman Grill to cook your meat. That would probably work a little better than the microwave, and be small enough to probably not get caught.
Last edited by Nimz on Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
LOWA

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:47 am UTC

You could get one of those grill press things. You can cook all kinds of meat on them, and eggs as well.
Microwave + Grill press thing = yummy healthy meals? Maybe. I have no proof
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:53 am UTC

Nimz wrote:You can do rice. Veggies can be done raw. Meat... is somewhat more problematic. You could maybe get a George Foreman Grill to cook your meat. That would probably work a little better than the microwave, and be small enough to probably not get caught.

I reckon it'd be ok. I mean, it's only a step up from a toaster really, and we have one of those.

Added to the walmart list!

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:54 am UTC

Rice, eggs.

Since we are 'steaming', we should be able to do fish. I'd normally rub something like bream with crushed ginger, garlic and chilli. Then a bit of sesame oil on top. And steam with some dried mushrooms (that we have soaked) and this preserved vegetable that you should find in an asian grocer. I don't know what it's called in any language.

I have not tried this in a microwave.

Also, popcorn.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:33 am UTC

you may be able to do something like meat dumplings in a micro. also you may be able to poach gammon or beef in a micro with not terrible results
in ur beanz makin u eveel

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:42 am UTC

Nimz wrote:You can do rice. Veggies can be done raw. Meat... is somewhat more problematic. You could maybe get a George Foreman Grill to cook your meat. That would probably work a little better than the microwave, and be small enough to probably not get caught.

A slow cooker (Crock Pot) is good for meats as well, especially something like meatloaf, shredded pork or beef (for sammiches), sloppy joes, roasts, etc.

One good thing about the slow cooker is you can prepare the meal early in the morning, which should take no more than 10 minutes, turn it on Low, go to your classes, then come back in the evening to a nice hot meal. The only problem is you might make the other student residents on your floor hungry, and they might be knocking down your door, as will the RA on your floor. Be prepared to feed a lot of people.

You can even get a small 1-qt. one to melt cheese for nachos, or heat up a couple of cans of soup on Low.

Get a microwaveable rice cooker. You can cook rice (duh), as well as any pasta in it.

A steamer is good for veggies, rice, and hot dogs. My ex-roommate received a steamer once for her birthday or Christmas, and one night she steamed a few hot dogs. They tasted almost like what you'd get at the ballpark, at the concession stand for any other sporting event, or off one of those carts you might see on the street. Best. Hot dog. Ever.
PRG

An important message for you:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:42 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:

I reckon it'd be ok. I mean, it's only a step up from a toaster really, and we have one of those.

Added to the walmart list!

Check to see if it's cool anyway. Because, most likely, some idiot last year turned his on, put his kerosene-soaked rags collection on it, and left for the month.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:51 am UTC

My favourite microwaves recipes:

Omelette Get one of these (or just use a bowl for a funny shaped omelette.) Add eggs and various munchies and microwave. They can be yummy.

You can also make scrambled eggs by microwaving eggs iin a bowl and mixing every now and then.

Cake Just make a standard sponge mixture (Same weight of egg, self raising flour and sugar?), add a dolup of something sweet (jam, syrup, etc) to the bottom of a glass bowl and pour the cake mix on top. Make sure it has room to rise and cover with a plate an microwave for 3 minutes. It's yummy when it's still hot, but doesn't keep very well.

I'll post more when I remember them, I used to live out of the microwave.
Last edited by crazyjimbo on Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bavardage

Postby bavardage » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:52 am UTC

You can make porridge, then add cheese and ham to it for main meal, then cocoa-powder and sugar for afters. Problem solved.
'It can't be software incompatibility - the Trodden Spiral was designed for concentric rings, idiot ...'

Mouffles

Postby Mouffles » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:42 pm UTC

I would recommend one of these. They are great for cooking meat in a microwave, as well as many other things.
In the spirit of taking things too far - the 5x5x5x5x5 Rubik's Cube.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:59 pm UTC

*thumbs through cookbook that came with her microwave*

It looks like you can do a lot of things that you'd put in a casserole dish in the oven. It's got quite a few recipes for meat stuff - I don't know how suitable they'd be but I'm happy to scan you a few pages if you like.

Lyra Ngalia

Postby Lyra Ngalia » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:08 pm UTC

With just a microwave, you can do things like this. I suspect you can skip the fanciness, pouch just (cooked) rice and fish, toss in a few veggies, and get a good meal.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path... Only I will remain.

mrcheesypants

Postby mrcheesypants » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

Don't be an idiot like some guy on our dorm floor who started a fire by microwaving a muffin. Our hall still smells like smoke from that fiasco.

I hate state school :cry:

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:22 pm UTC

mrcheesypants wrote:Don't be an idiot like some guy on our dorm floor who started a fire by microwaving a muffin. Our hall still smells like smoke from that fiasco.

And before you even consider it, no you can't boil and egg in the microwave. Not even with the top off.

noparenthesis

Postby noparenthesis » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

mrcheesypants wrote:Don't be an idiot like some guy on our dorm floor who started a fire by microwaving a muffin. Our hall still smells like smoke from that fiasco.

That reminds me of a similar incident that happened to me a few years ago. It was a few months after I joined the Army, so I was out of basic training and on to the advanced training where they teach you the specifics of your job. We lived in these dorm-like barracks, and there happened to be a microwave in the common area of each floor. We had about an hour to an hour and a half each day between physical training (exercise in a group) and class to eat breakfast, shower, and get in uniform. This one guy decided he wanted a breakfast burrito, so he puts it in the microwave. Sounds like a good idea, right? Except for the following:

1) He left the burrito in the metallic foil.

2) He put it on for 20 minutes on HIGH "because it was frozen."

3) He then left it unattended to get showered and dressed.

Shortly thereafter, the microwave caught fire, the alarms went off, and my whole company was evacuated to the gym in various states of undress. There were no more microwaves allowed after that, except for one on the first floor where the drill sergeants could keep an eye on it.

The real kicker, though, is that this guy wound up failing out of the course and went on to become an Army cook.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:32 pm UTC

So I went and asked and I'm allowed things like George Forman Grills and stuff, but not any "hot plate" sort of thing - that is, anything with a hot exposed face.

I might get a rice cooker too.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:34 pm UTC

Rice Cookers are amazing. If you just throw in a little bit of cumin in with your rice, it's so flavorful and the most perfect side ever. If you get a George Foreman grill, the possibilities are endless. You should probably start a new thread for grill recipes. I have this yummy one for tiliapia.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

This just happened last weekend. My mom had bought a box of Bagel Bites to have for lunch one day. She didn't read the directions carefully, which probably told her that the cooking times and temperatures were meant for a 700W microwave oven. We have a 1200W in the kitchen.

1200W + 4 minutes + crisping tray + Bagel Bites = charcoal.

I woke up from my nap that day smelling smoke. I thought at first my dad was smoking, and the cigarette smoke was wafting through the vent right over my bed. This was a bit too strong for cigarette smoke though. When I went downstairs it was stronger. I asked what the hell was burning, and mom said she burnt the Bagel Bites.
PRG

An important message for you:

zenten

Postby zenten » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:40 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:So I went and asked and I'm allowed things like George Forman Grills and stuff, but not any "hot plate" sort of thing - that is, anything with a hot exposed face.

Why not get a toaster oven?

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
SpitValve wrote:So I went and asked and I'm allowed things like George Forman Grills and stuff, but not any "hot plate" sort of thing - that is, anything with a hot exposed face.

Why not get a toaster oven?

Lots of colleges don't allow anything that gives out heat for fear of students burning down the area.

What you can do is have them anyway but stash them away in a closet or drawer or something when you're not in use since RA's can do room checks but not look through your things. That said, rice cookers are pretty useful because they can cook rice, heat food, and bake bread (yay bread!).

If you have a microwave, one of those micro-kettles are pretty useful since they whistle when the water boils. What I do when I make ramen is to boil the water, add it to the ramen, and then stick the whole concoction into the microwave for a bit more to get a nice even cook.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

OATMEAL
i hurd u liek mudkips???

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:22 pm UTC

Is it a combo convection oven/microwave? Or just a regular microwave? If it's just a standard microwave, get a microwaveable rice cooker (if you don't have a standalone already for t3h sticky rice).

I suppose if you were really looking for some good food you could try a shabu shabu meal, or any variant on the hot-pot/stone bowl style of cooking by heating up some water, and then heating up a ceramic plate/cooking surface with it. But you'd need a continuous supply of very hot water, some type of material that will retain heat well, etc... would be hard. Don't think it would be possible much.

Barring that, you can always go the grade school way and build a solar cooker to cook hot dogs, etc...

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:Omelette Get one of these (or just use a bowl for a funny shaped omelette.) Add eggs and various munchies and microwave. They can be yummy.

You can also make scrambled eggs by microwaving eggs iin a bowl and mixing every now and then.

Just remember to MIX THE EGGS! Or at least poke the yolk. If you try to do a straight sunny-side-up egg, it will likely explode either in your microwave or in your face. Neither of which are preferable. Otherwise, eggs in a cup = delicious. I find that a minute is sufficient for an egg whipped up with a bit of milk (for fluffiness).

Soups, hot beverages, and other canned/prepackaged/frozen meals come to mind as well. But watch the salt content on those...they're sometimes ridiculous.

Also try searching specifically? I did a quick search for 'microwave' over on kraftfoods (which usually has relatively reliable stuff) and ended up with a bunch of hits. Of course, a lot of those are catching on something irrelevant like "microwave butter to soften" but a few are good. This in particular looks like something I'm going to have to try this semester.

Good luck!
Last edited by marshlight on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

Meat is no problem. I've made many a very tasty "baked" terriyaki chicken breast in the microwave.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

It's just a normal microwave. A toasty oven should be fine, because it doesn't have an exposed surface on the outside. I mean, it's really just a big toaster, innit?

And I want a separate rice cooker so I can cook rice and veggies at the same time.

Edit:

ArchangelShrike wrote:Barring that, you can always go the grade school way and build a solar cooker to cook hot dogs, etc...

There's a telescope on the roof that could totally focus the suns rays pretty madly.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:45 pm UTC

A toaster oven should be fine, unless you manage to put some gasoline soaked rags in it or something else. And we're not trying to sear the meat through here, just toast the outside a bit ;)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

Toaster ovens are great for making open-faced tuna melts.

With a rice cooker there are so many awesome things you can experiment with adding to the rice. A friend of mine likes throwing in chopped dill and black pepper. I miss my rice cooker, even though I've learned how to make good rice in a saucepan since it broke.

Pesh made a good point about oatmeal, but the best way to do it is merely to boil the water in the microwave. Mix 1:1 boiling water and rolled oats. Add cinnamon, raisins, apples, bananas, brown sugar. Milk or cream if you want, though I never bothered. Can help to microwave the apples and raisins in a dish of water to soften them a bit first (15-20 sec?).
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

zenten

Postby zenten » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:38 pm UTC

If you're really broke and have a rice steamer, get some No Name (you have Loblaws where you are, right?) frozen veggies, rice, an egg (stir it up first), and soy sauce, throw them in, and you have something with 3 of the four food groups ready in a few minutes that tastes ok and is really cheap.

Mind you, you're in Halifax, so you can probably just eat microwaved lobster really cheap or something all the time.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:46 pm UTC

zenten wrote:If you're really broke and have a rice steamer, get some No Name (you have Loblaws where you are, right?) frozen veggies, rice, an egg (stir it up first), and soy sauce, throw them in, and you have something with 3 of the four food groups ready in a few minutes that tastes ok and is really cheap.

Sounds cool, although I should point out I don't have a freezer, so all the vegies'll have to be fresh.

Guess that means they'll cook faster? I don't mind chopping things.

hmm, must buy soy sauce and sweet thai chilli sauce.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:49 pm UTC

a good point about the grade-school method of cooking. You can make a reflector that not only heats food, but also makes ice! Just point the darned thing at the darkest part of the sky at night and put water at the focus.

Oatmeal is good, but I, personally, cannot stand it hot; I hate the texture. Oats, milk, and a handful of raisins is the way I usually eat oatmeal.
LOWA

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

Try sushi, if you have a ready supply of foodstuffs. Or better yet, move to a dorm with a kitchen.

zenten

Postby zenten » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:03 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:
zenten wrote:If you're really broke and have a rice steamer, get some No Name (you have Loblaws where you are, right?) frozen veggies, rice, an egg (stir it up first), and soy sauce, throw them in, and you have something with 3 of the four food groups ready in a few minutes that tastes ok and is really cheap.

Sounds cool, although I should point out I don't have a freezer, so all the vegies'll have to be fresh.

Guess that means they'll cook faster? I don't mind chopping things.

hmm, must buy soy sauce and sweet thai chilli sauce.

Wait, you don't have a bar fridge? Borrow space in someone else's until you can get your own.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:37 pm UTC

You can buy these toaster ovens with a griddle on top and a coffee-maker attached to the side. There is nothing worth eating that can't be cooked with one.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Lyra Ngalia

Postby Lyra Ngalia » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:28 am UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:And before you even consider it, no you can't boil and egg in the microwave. Not even with the top off.

Oh, but you can get one of those microwave egg cookers for like $2 that will make really good poached eggs. Add some cheese, ham, and an english muffin, and it's great. And if you get an electric kettle, you can make boiled eggs in that, along with soup, oatmeal, and homemade fudge.

I personally dislike microwave rice cookers. The texture of rice out of those things just isn't as good.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path... Only I will remain.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:13 am UTC

I think you can steam anything quite well by wrapping it in a wet paper towel and then platic wrap. Then microwave it.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Brontide

Postby Brontide » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:31 am UTC

Wow, no stove, no FREEZER?! That sounds pretty harsh. In my 1st year hall of residence we just had fridge/freezer/stove-top and yet still felt cheated without an oven...
Anywho, porridge is awesome when winter comes... you can mix banana/dried apricots etc with it... yummy. And you can bake potatoes/kumara in a microwave... scrambled eggs/omelettes and steamed veg like everyone's already said... if you want to make an ordinary packet of 2-min noodles into a whole meal you can cook them for 1 min and then add a whisked egg, bit of millk, and veg like chopped up spinach etc for like a noodle omelette - OK, maybe not the styliest or healthiest of dinners, but quick and easy and microwaveable! Sorry I don't have many ideas - hope it gets easier with time.

Return to “Food”