Dinner Roll Part II

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sardia

Dinner Roll Part II

Postby sardia » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:16 am UTC

Second attempt at dinner rolls starts off poorly.
First, I cut the recipe in half. Results in
2 teaspoon instant yeast,
1/8 cup sugar
1.5 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2.5 cups flour.

I made a well of flour in a large pan and then microwaved butter+milk until scalded. Realize it's too hot, and got impatient. So I stirred the milk, butter, sugar and salt into the well. I'm already mixing the dough when I realized I forgot the egg. I add it in, and add in too much yeast. I added 5 teaspoons of yeast instead of 2. It's instant, does that mean it doesn't need to bloom in warm sugar water? Thermometer measures at 110F, so I keep going. Oven is preheat to 170. I watched the clock, and I knead for 10 minutes. Window test fails, but the poke test springs back. It's in the oven to rise right now. It's much easier to use a single bowl.
Attachments
20190320_190356.jpg
Ready to go in oven
20190320_184605.jpg
Pic 2 forgot the egg
20190320_184421.jpg
Mixing in well

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Dinner Roll Part II

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:32 am UTC

Yeast is mixed with warm water and sugar to make sure it’s still lively. Instant yeast can go straight into the dough.
It often makes no difference in which order you add things to dough. Fats like butter get added at the end mostly because they coat the protein strands and can affect gluten development. It’s also easier to work soft butter into a developed dough than it is to work a dough that’s a very soft, sticky paste because of the butter you are trying to incorporate with the flour.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:12 pm UTC

Crunching the numbers, and converting to rough weight measurements, here's the ratios for the recipe you used (Baker's percentages in parenthesis):

300g Flour (100%)
50g Egg (17%) [assuming standard large egg]
28g sugar (9%)
7g salt (2%)
7g yeast (2%) [as written, when using 5 tsp, it's nearly 6%]

I don't know the amount of butter or milk, so I can't judge the overall dough hydration, or fat ratio, so I can't comment on that aspect of the recipe. (If I were to venture a guess, and was building the recipe myself, about 3/4c of scalded milk (55% hydration from milk), and around 2-3 TBS butter (9-15% in baker's math) would be about right)

Overall as written the ratios look pretty good, the 5tsp of yeast is far and away too much, and I'd even say 2% is a tad much, as 2% the the absolute maximum yeast I'd ever added to a bread, but for a short timeline it is ok (the more yeast, the faster the fermentation, I prefer a much longer rising/proofing/developing process, as it produces far more flavor, so I'd likely shoot for closer to 1% yeast). I wouldn't worry about looking at the clock when kneading, as the gluten doesn't care about the clock, when the dough feels ready, it is ready, no matter how long/short you've been kneading. The windowpane test is a good one, but most beginners will never get there when kneading by hand. Shiny, stretchy, and smooth is what you're shooting for, without visible tears when kneading or shaping.

One of the things I tell people when they begin working on yeasted dough is to stop paying attention to bulk fermentation/proofing/rising times, and to learn instead when a dough is ready. Yeast is a living thing, and how active it is, and how quickly it develops is very dependent on the environment around it. Rising times can vary wildly depending on the kitchen temperature, humidity level, dough temperature, crossbreeze, etc. It is better to wait for an extra half hour for the bread to rise properly, than it is to trust the recipe's schedule (Who knows the conditions of the kitchen the recipe was formulated in, or even how active/alive the yeast called for is!)
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:47 am UTC

Good that I'm sorta on track.
It was 1/2 cup milk
2 table spoons butter.
The reason for the excess yeast was I read 2 teaspoon as table spoon.

It definitely tore when I was kneading it. I guess I should look up kneading videos. I thought kneading was simple, you press with the wrist like CPR, and then fold+rotate.

I'll have to look up what shiny and smooth looks like in videos/pictures. I get that there's shaggy dough, which barely holds together, so maybe the opposite of that?
EDIT: I really like making dough by hand via the well method. It feels intuitive, like making foolproof pasta. I'll probably have to make this recipe a couple times to get the texture right. The buns cooked up with a harder skin, when the goal is softness. Now that I have a passable technique, I can focus on getting more accurate measurements. (aka, not fucking up yeast amount, portioning to equal sizes). Good point about patience. Work's been kicking my butt, so I was rushing the recipe more than I should. I may try to record my next mixing and kneading so someone can critique my mixing & kneading. Thanks for the tips everyone. It'll be fun to bust this recipe out for thanksgiving.
Attachments
20190320_204050.jpg
Crumb after cooling
20190320_194305.jpg
Dough portioned

Return to “Food”