US FDA says yes to cloned food

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!
Posts: 5972
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: :uoıʇɐɔol

US FDA says yes to cloned food

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:06 am UTC

Just heard on the Radio that the US Food &Drug Association say that, after 5 years of study, Cow and Pig meat & milk of cloned animals is safe to eat.

Discuss.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Air Gear
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:36 pm UTC

Postby Air Gear » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:22 am UTC

Duh. (There, discussed.)

User avatar
Peshmerga
Mad Hatter
Posts: 2061
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:56 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Peshmerga » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:24 am UTC

lol

people are stupid
i hurd u liek mudkips???

User avatar
Rat
Rattus Trolleri
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:40 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby Rat » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:17 am UTC

yay now we can make one of those machines that spits out clones onto a conveyor and slaughters them at the end!

User avatar
Detritus
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:20 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Detritus » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:28 am UTC

I suspect that would actually require a very long conveyor belt! (Or a very slow one)
Then I thought, "Man, I should have just said 'yeah.' "

User avatar
Peshmerga
Mad Hatter
Posts: 2061
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:56 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Peshmerga » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:30 am UTC

An infinite conveyor belt, actually. But the real question is, can a plane take off from it?
i hurd u liek mudkips???

User avatar
Aoeniac
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:55 am UTC
Location: RIGHT HERE IN THIS VERY SPOT→•

Postby Aoeniac » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:32 am UTC

They're not talking about simply cloning animals to multiple our meat market, they're talking about selectively cloning animals that produce high quality meat.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

User avatar
wmoonw
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:43 pm UTC

Postby wmoonw » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:38 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:An infinite conveyor belt, actually. But the real question is, can a plane take off from it?


With or without sucking all the new clones into the engines? Because that would kind of limit the utility of the clones somewhat :wink:

Teaspoon
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Where you least expect me

Postby Teaspoon » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:50 am UTC

wmoonw wrote:
Peshmerga wrote:An infinite conveyor belt, actually. But the real question is, can a plane take off from it?


With or without sucking all the new clones into the engines? Because that would kind of limit the utility of the clones somewhat :wink:


Oooh, sounds like an exciting slaughter method!

User avatar
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!
Posts: 5972
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: :uoıʇɐɔol

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:50 pm UTC

Aoeniac wrote:They're not talking about simply cloning animals to multiple our meat market, they're talking about selectively cloning animals that produce high quality meat.


And that human-safe. Apparently, Cloned Sheep meat & milk is not safe.

Also, clones can reproduce normally. These offspring are, supposedly, also safe to eat meat and milk from.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

User avatar
thomasjmaccoll
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:27 pm UTC
Location: cupar, fife, scotland
Contact:

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:50 pm UTC

don't know if i'm being stupid here, but why wouldn't cloned meat be safe to eat? if the original animal was safe, and it was cloned, then wouldn't the clone be safe too, seeing as it's a clone? and the offspring of a cloned pig, seeing as they are actually just pigs, not any sort of mutant chemical beast?
slow down, you move too fast

User avatar
umbrae
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:44 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby umbrae » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:13 pm UTC

Sure, it all digests the same. Thats fine with me.

But gotta be careful. Because using clones essentially nullifies natural selection. If we let cloned animals breed, then we're really taking away the random mutations that can be a help or a hindrance to the animal.

I guess the only mutations we'd really allow these days are things that would allow for more tender, delicious or nutritious meat or byproducts. But still!

User avatar
fjafjan
THE fjafjan
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:22 pm UTC
Location: Down south up north in the west of eastern west.
Contact:

Postby fjafjan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:26 pm UTC

I don't have a huge problem with it, but we certainly have to be wary of the risks, I believe that already cows etc are propped FULL of antibiotics etc to prevent them from cathcing deceases, if you have almost no genetical variety, then the odds of an epidemic wiping out the whole species (sp?) is alot more likely.

And I thought atleast animals cloned today were slightly "weaker" than their "natural" counterparts, since they are made from cells that have already duplicated themselves etc. I think dolly died pretty young or so, cause she was made from a skin cell

AND it is not really a viable method yet, the news said that a cow costs some obcene amount, I think it was like 50k$ or someting to produce one of these cows with current methods, so not really economical yet.

But we don't wanna end up like bananas, where they all die.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

User avatar
Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:25 am UTC
Location: Drinks Cabinet.
Contact:

Postby Verysillyman » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:50 pm UTC

Oryx and Crake! Chickinubs! (spelling is poor) Someone else explain me, i'm going to bed.

User avatar
Framling
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:58 am UTC

Postby Framling » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:45 am UTC

I'm still waiting for vat-growing to become a viable means of meat production. I want some damn steak. Or god, fried chicken. Mmmm...
your = belonging to you
you're = you are
their = belonging to them
they're = they are
there = not here

User avatar
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!
Posts: 5972
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: :uoıʇɐɔol

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:45 pm UTC

thomasjmaccoll wrote:don't know if i'm being stupid here, but why wouldn't cloned meat be safe to eat? if the original animal was safe, and it was cloned, then wouldn't the clone be safe too, seeing as it's a clone? and the offspring of a cloned pig, seeing as they are actually just pigs, not any sort of mutant chemical beast?


Because "ZOMPF THE'I'Y'R'E CLONEZ!"

fjafjan wrote:And I thought atleast animals cloned today were slightly "weaker" than their "natural" counterparts, since they are made from cells that have already duplicated themselves etc. I think dolly died pretty young or so, cause she was made from a skin cell


Dolly died young because she was cloned from a nonyoung sheep. She was "born" with a body that was already x years old, kinda.

If a normal sheep lives 10 years (I honestly don't know how long they actually live) and Dolly's "mother" was already 6 years old, Dolly would have lived to four years.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

User avatar
starvingartist
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:29 pm UTC
Location: Texas

Postby starvingartist » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:36 pm UTC

In a world where animals are cloned so that we end up with only high-quality meats, Charlotte's Web would lose all meaning...

User avatar
Peshmerga
Mad Hatter
Posts: 2061
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:56 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Peshmerga » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:39 pm UTC

starvingartist wrote:In a world where animals are cloned so that we end up with only high-quality meats, Charlotte's Web would lose all meaning...


What was that book about again?
i hurd u liek mudkips???

User avatar
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!
Posts: 5972
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: :uoıʇɐɔol

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:51 pm UTC

Peshmerga wrote:
starvingartist wrote:In a world where animals are cloned so that we end up with only high-quality meats, Charlotte's Web would lose all meaning...


What was that book about again?


DON'T TELL HIM! MAKE HIM WATCH THE FILM!
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

User avatar
Peshmerga
Mad Hatter
Posts: 2061
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:56 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Peshmerga » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:12 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
Peshmerga wrote:
starvingartist wrote:In a world where animals are cloned so that we end up with only high-quality meats, Charlotte's Web would lose all meaning...


What was that book about again?


DON'T TELL HIM! MAKE HIM WATCH THE FILM!


It's probably about animal cruelty or something.

God dammit. Stupid pigs. I read the book a while ago and the old movie. But I guess the message was so stupid I just ignored it.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

hrryank
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:08 am UTC
Location: Bat Country
Contact:

Postby hrryank » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:22 am UTC

AND it is not really a viable method yet, the news said that a cow costs some obcene amount, I think it was like 50k$ or someting to produce one of these cows with current methods, so not really economical yet.



I think the exponential growth of technology will nullify any concerns about financial feasibility.
Raptor Apologist, bitch.

User avatar
Narsil
Ask me about my junk!
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 pm UTC
Location: Columbus.

Postby Narsil » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:52 am UTC

umbrae wrote:Sure, it all digests the same. Thats fine with me.

But gotta be careful. Because using clones essentially nullifies natural selection. If we let cloned animals breed, then we're really taking away the random mutations that can be a help or a hindrance to the animal.

I guess the only mutations we'd really allow these days are things that would allow for more tender, delicious or nutritious meat or byproducts. But still!
Or one that allowed a body to achieve sub-freezing temps, turning cows everywhere into soft-serve ice cream machines.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

User avatar
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!
Posts: 5972
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: :uoıʇɐɔol

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:56 am UTC

Narsil wrote:
umbrae wrote:Sure, it all digests the same. Thats fine with me.

But gotta be careful. Because using clones essentially nullifies natural selection. If we let cloned animals breed, then we're really taking away the random mutations that can be a help or a hindrance to the animal.

I guess the only mutations we'd really allow these days are things that would allow for more tender, delicious or nutritious meat or byproducts. But still!
Or one that allowed a body to achieve sub-freezing temps, turning cows everywhere into soft-serve ice cream machines.


I think Narsil just won the thread.

That's another point on your way to winning the Internet Narsil!
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

User avatar
fjafjan
THE fjafjan
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:22 pm UTC
Location: Down south up north in the west of eastern west.
Contact:

Postby fjafjan » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:32 am UTC

hrryank wrote:
AND it is not really a viable method yet, the news said that a cow costs some obcene amount, I think it was like 50k$ or someting to produce one of these cows with current methods, so not really economical yet.


I think the exponential growth of technology will nullify any concerns about financial feasibility.


Not necessarily, if there is not enough commercial interest to maintain that research then it probably will never happen, and I don't see how cloned meat will be something people will pay alot MORE for.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

User avatar
aisling
Has (underage) boobs
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:56 am UTC
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby aisling » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:39 am UTC

fjafjan wrote:Not necessarily, if there is not enough commercial interest to maintain that research then it probably will never happen, and I don't see how cloned meat will be something people will pay alot MORE for.


If you play it up enough and advertise it enough to the right masses, some day in the future it might be possible. I could see it being something of a novelty, or even a delicacy. Like, can't you see some rich businessman sitting down to dinner with his spoiled fat children and depressed wife and saying "This cloned beef is most certainly more succulent than that regular real beef we normally have, isn't it? I'm sure the Johnson's down the road don't have cloned beef this nice. We should eat it more often." Or something to that effect.

Honestly, being an adolescent in the time we're in, I'm more or less a slave to advertisements. If I have enough money, and it won't harm me, I'm all for it.

User avatar
fjafjan
THE fjafjan
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:22 pm UTC
Location: Down south up north in the west of eastern west.
Contact:

Postby fjafjan » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:48 am UTC

No i'm not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE, but it is not necessarily the case.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

User avatar
aldimond
Otter-duck
Posts: 2665
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:52 am UTC
Location: Uptown, Chicago
Contact:

Postby aldimond » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:10 am UTC

aisling wrote:
fjafjan wrote:Not necessarily, if there is not enough commercial interest to maintain that research then it probably will never happen, and I don't see how cloned meat will be something people will pay alot MORE for.


If you play it up enough and advertise it enough to the right masses, some day in the future it might be possible. I could see it being something of a novelty, or even a delicacy (sp!). Like, can't you see some rich businessman sitting down to dinner with his spoiled fat children and depressed wife and saying "This cloned beef is most certainly more succulent than that regular real beef we normally have, isn't it? I'm sure the Johnson's down the road don't have cloned beef this nice. We should eat it more often." Or something to that effect.


That does seem to be a possibility, once the costs are down to a somewhat reasonable level. Though it would be interesting to see how the non-cloned beef industry would react. It reminds me of the (relatively) new process for manufacturing diamonds of exquisite quality and how the traditional controllers of the diamond market are reacting against it. What makes it different is that the only way that the traditional controllers of the diamond market make money is by enforcing scarcity and controlling the market (both with an iron fist...), so any force that comes from the outside and threatens scarcity is their natural enemy (and thus a friend of mine; everything I read about the history of the diamond trade makes me hate it more). Whereas animal cloning research, as I understand it, is funded by the big industrial agriculture companies. They can introduce a newly branded product at a higher price.

Honestly, being an adolescent in the time we're in, I'm more or less a slave to advertisements. If I have enough money, and it won't harm me, I'm all for it.


Do something else during advertisements. I like to hack around on my electric keyboard, lift weights, or clean my kitchen. Most advertising messages are worthless.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

User avatar
Velociraptor
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:58 am UTC
Location: 25 m/s towards you.

Postby Velociraptor » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:13 am UTC

What about cloning Raptors...?
I do not know fear.

I am searching for an entrance.

User avatar
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!
Posts: 5972
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: :uoıʇɐɔol

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:20 pm UTC

Velociraptor wrote:What about cloning Raptors...?


/o_o\
..|_|
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

User avatar
RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.
Posts: 6704
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 7:17 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Postby RealGrouchy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:47 pm UTC

Velociraptor wrote:What about cloning Raptors...?

Dude, change your avatar. Scaring people like that is just not nice.

fjafjan wrote:I believe that already cows etc are propped FULL of antibiotics etc

Yes, this is done in the US to a tremendous degree, and facilitates the development of superbugs. It wouldn't be necessary if they didn't cramp livestock so close together. As an example, chickens are kept their whole lives in cages that are so small even one chicken can't spread its wings if it were alone in there. There are usually 5-7 chicken in each cage, and 10,000 chickens in a warehouse.

Note that it is illegal in Canada to use antibiotics this way in cattle. Therefore, when you hear US politicians spreading fud about Canadian beef being "less safe", it's, well, fud.

A good book to read about meat and food is "The Food Revolution" by John Robbins (the would-be heir to the Baskin & Robbins company). It isn't preachy about vegetarianism, but informs you about all of the things that go into meat, and why meat is bad:
- for your health
- for the environment
- for the economy
- for the rainforests
- for the poor starving children in Costa Rica (really!)
- and more.

I still eat meat, but now I'm more informed.

Also, when you eat a hamburger at a fast food restaurant, you are consuming meat from over 100 animals (animals, not species), all mixed together and stuff.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

User avatar
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!
Posts: 5972
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: :uoıʇɐɔol

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

One word: Ribwich.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.


Return to “Food”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests